4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2014 7:30 PM by al_bergstein

Lightroom 5 loses license..why and is anyone else experiencing this?

al_bergstein Level 1

After working on a legal licensed version of LR 5 for a long time (upgraded from 2, 3, 4, to 5. (I am staring at the upgrade invoice from Adobe for 5 right now, dated June 2013). I also have a legal copy of Adobe Cloud, which I have used for everything else, and have a number of apps loaded from it, but not LR.

I fired up LR 5 this afternoon after returning from a shoot. It allowed me to import just fine, but when I clicked on the Develop module, it said that I needed to license LR and download it. I could not get it to work, and noticed that under the Adobe Installer it showed as "Install" rather than installed. Because I bought it prior to the Cloud, I've been upgrading it separately, but it appears that Adobe has not only eliminated the older upgrade process, but has forced me to upgrade to the latest version using the Cloud installer.

Is this a one off problem for me? If so, what could be the reason?

If this is some major change by Adobe. Why? And why not alert users? I've had to waste an hour downloading the Cloud version, which frankly I didn't want to do!

It appears that the reinstalled version works. But WTF?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts...

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 loses license..why and is anyone else experiencing this?
          ssprengel Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The standalone LR and the CC LR are two different programs and are downloaded, installed and licensed differently.

When you last upgraded LR did you install the one downloaded from within LR or the one downloaded from within the CC app?

I have both the serial-number-licensed and the CC-licensed versions of LR but have been using the cloud-licensed version on my two computers, so I don’t know what happens if I’d had the serial-number-licensed version and the CC app also wants me to install the cloud-licensed version.

I’d try clicking the Install button next to LR in the CC app and see if that works.

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 loses license..why and is anyone else experiencing this?
            mecastro

I'm not sure if this is the same thing, but I just started up LR5 (legal, downloaded upgrade copy purchased through adobe last year) and it says "Develop module is disabled. Please renew your membership to reactivate the Develop module."

Is that what you received?

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 loses license..why and is anyone else experiencing this?
              al_bergstein Level 1

Yes, mecastro. This is exactly the situation I had today. I called Adobe and of course, their tech support people had no clue. By that time I had loaded the CC 14 version, meaning 5.7. So it appears that Adobe has forced me to switch to CC even though I didn't want to, right in the middle of a work day? Or am I misreading what happened?

To the answer by ssprengel: Yes, I understand that they are two different licenses for the same program! One is linked to cloud licensing, and one isn't. Under the covers I'm sure it's the same code, with just licensing changes to make it compatible with Cloud.  Last upgrade, I had upgraded the non cloud version, as always. As mentioned, I was not running LR5 under the Cloud license, but was running Pr and Photoshop on the same machine, up until today, just fine. So to be clear, I have Cloud running on the desktop for licensing everything *but* LR.

While I was in a hurry to get my job done, and installed the CC version, now I've got a license that I'm not sure is still tied to a machine use, and frankly, I would like to move it to another machine. Not sure how I can do that, but will experiment.

The problem happened on my desktop. My laptop MB Pro (Which also has LR standalone and CC 2014 on it) is telling me I'm still running 5.5 build 968504 and wants me to upgrade to 5.7. I'm going to do "remind me later" and see what happens. (later) Well it appears that my laptop is still working fine, under 5.5. No licensing issue there. This is either a bug or?

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 loses license..why and is anyone else experiencing this?
                Geoff the kiwi Adobe Community Professional & MVP

It should work as you have expected... the licensing is different but apart from that the apps are basically the same.

There is no intention to force people to the CC version of Lightroom and it should work as you have had.

Did this happen after you upgraded to 5.7 via the usual urged in Help? Did it use the CC app manager to d/load???

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 loses license..why and is anyone else experiencing this?
                  al_bergstein Level 1

Well, yes, it works as expected. However the issue I'm raising is that I wasted an hour or more of time today, because the app that ran fine yesterday didn't have  a license today! And it appears I'm not the only one, given the answer by mecastro. To be clear, I did not upgrade the app. It just randomly happened today, and didn't happen when I last used it. All was fine, then it wasn't. The app LR was not even installed from the Cloud point of view because when I went it to reload it, it showed "INSTALL" as the default for it and the other uninstalled apps from the Cloud I have available to me.