13 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2014 10:07 AM by A.T. Romano

This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV

retchemteach

I have Prem.El 12 and have used PE4 for years.  I have a new PC that runs Win7Pro.  The still images on the computer monitor are within the "safe margins".  The still images after the movie has been burned to a disk are MUCH smaller on the TV screen.  Is this an issue of 16:9 vs 4:3 ratios?  My TV is 4:3.  Can I tell PE12 to make the movie a 4:3?

• 1. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
          A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

Where you are going to get into difficulties in 12 with thoughts of 4 is probably

a. In 4, you set the project preset manually and, if you did nothing in this regard and just OK'd the default, your project preset would be

NTSC DV Standard 4:3 or PAL DV Standard 4:3.

b. In 12, the program is designed to set the project preset automatically based on the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline....if the

program cannot define those properties to set the project preset, it gives you the default which is now NTSC AVCHD Full HD1080i30 or

PAL AVCHD Full HD1080p25 (both 16:9).

Also, what you create in Premiere Elements needs to be compatible with your TV settings. Example...if you create a DVD-VIDEO Widescreen

on DVD disc (keep text within the Safe Margins et al) and then play that back on a TV set for 4:3 viewing, the odds are that your text will be cut off

at the edges.

After all of the above, let us detail your situation....

1. If you have only a 4:3 TV which cannot be reset for 16:9 viewing, then create a DVD-VIDEO 4:3 on DVD disc.

a. Set your project preset manually to NTSC DV Standard or PAL DV Standard

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE11: Accuracy of Automatic Project Preset (New Project Dialog) Setting

b. Size your photos so that each has a 4:3 aspect ratio (we can talk actual pixel dimensions once I know the pixel dimensions

of the originals)

c. Edit, add menus if you want....

d. Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Dolby DVD or PAL_Dolby DVD.

Have you fully evaluated your TV with regard to settings changes?

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
            retchemteach Level 1

Thank you.....while I was hopefully waiting for your reply, I made some mockup video files. [ I am purchasing some RW-DVDs tomorrow to see how my changes will affect what I see].  I did try the change to NTSC DV standard NOT due to any intelligence or knowledge, BUT due to just searching for anything in the presets that said "standard" and not widescreen.  I made detailed notes of each slide and video clip I imported and what I did to each (i.e. crop, place within safety margins, etc).  I will burn a disc tomorrow and let you know what happened.  Boy...this learning curve is like Mt. Everest for this 64-year old retired chemistry teacher....but your comments have been very helpful, especially when you speak in 'normal' English and not techno-speak.  ;-)  Have a good evening.

ps - I have a 4-page WORD document will all the stuff you have been writing to help people....I understood the audio talk, but this other stuff.....goodness.

• 3. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
              retchemteach Level 1

Thank you....I replied in the forum....to keep you from having the labor of

reading my junk again, I won't retype it here.  I will keep this email tho'

for links, etc.  You are a God send.

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 4. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                Peru Bob Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have to set my DVD player to "zoom" to watch DVDs at their proper resolution.

• 5. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

Thanks for the replies.

Please never hesitate to ask "what are you talking about" if you run into something that I have write about Premiere Elements that is not clear to you.

I will re-write if necessary.

My TV and its DVD player come with settings for 16:9 or 4:3 which are the possible aspect ratios for the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc. So, I am not sure

what Peru Bob's "Zoom" is all about especially since he seem to be able to watch "DVDs at their proper resolution". Pending further information on his setting, I would think that this "Zoom" as per its name would lend itself to text cut offs.

We will be watching for your results.

Best wishes

ATR

• 6. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Peru Bob

Could you give us more information about your "Zoom" setting on your TV DVD Player which you say lets you watch "DVDs at their proper resolution".

What type of DVD-VIDEO on DVD (16:9 or 4:3) are you inserting in the DVD player and how are you avoiding text cut offs with this setting?

ATR

• 7. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV

16:9

I use the Mpeg-2 DVD setting for exporting from Premiere Pro, author with DVDAS, and create an ISO and burn with ImgBurn.

If I use the "zoom" aspect ratio setting, as long as my text is within the area safe margin, it displays correctly.

See this thread from when I used Premiere Elements:

muvipix Community • View topic - Black bars top & bottom of widescreen project viewed on 16:9

• 8. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                        retchemteach Level 1

Thank you for your patience in the time it is taking me to get back to you.

I am still trying to buy some DVD-RW discs and will hopefully do that in a

bit.  Meanwhile, I have more info for you and some simple (I hope)

questions.  If you want to insert your answers, that would be fine.

My camera (for stills and video) is set to the 4:3 ratio.  It is capable of

being set to a 16:9 ratio if I wanted to do that.  I looked in its TOOLS

menu and saw this info.

My TV is definitely a 4:3 TV.  (I measured it with my tape measure and

divided W/L to get 1.33)  The TV can show a 16:9 movie and just adds the

black bars on the top and bottom.  Question: What will my old 4:3 movies

look like on a 16:9 TV whenever we buy one of those?

It seems to me that I want to set PE12 to the NTSC DV Standard you

mentioned.

I do NOT know how to “size your photos so that each has a 4:3 aspect”,

unless you mean doing that in Photoshop Elements, which I know how to do

(*see below)

I had NOT considered that I would need to watch the preset for the

‘Publish+Share’ step; so that’s good to know (I copied and pasted your info

for later use).

BTW, years ago when I had difficulties with my XP computer working on PE4

(had only 2 GB RAM), an Adobe tech told me to resize my photos * to have a

720 pixel width (the height would be automatically adjusted) to lower the

file size to something my computer could handle without crashing.  (That

was back in the good ol’ days when Adobe support would actually talk with

their customers and try to help them in the first month)

My new computer has 16GB RAM.  Do you think I still need to reduce file

size?  One does lose some sharpness in the resizing process…..however,

these videos I’m making are travelogues and are for a fun way to view pics

and videos of a trip….nothing Earth shattering….and just a hobby to keep me

off the streets.

I truly appreciate the time you take to help me (and others).  I was even

tempted to try to install my old PE4 on my new computer just to be able to

enjoy my hobby again.

On Wed, Dec 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 9. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

Although I have seen your post of today in my Inbox Email Notifications, that post has not yet appears in this thread. It will probably will sooner or later. But, to keep things moving along....this is a copy of what I am seeing as your message of today in my Indox Email Notifications

Thank you for your patience in the time it is taking me to get back to you.

I am still trying to buy some DVD-RW discs and will hopefully do that in a

bit.  Meanwhile, I have more info for you and some simple (I hope)

questions.  If you want to insert your answers, that would be fine.

My camera (for stills and video) is set to the 4:3 ratio.  It is capable of

being set to a 16:9 ratio if I wanted to do that.  I looked in its TOOLS

menu and saw this info.

My TV is definitely a 4:3 TV.  (I measured it with my tape measure and

divided W/L to get 1.33)  The TV can show a 16:9 movie and just adds the

black bars on the top and bottom.  Question: What will my old 4:3 movies

It seems to me that I want to set PE12 to the NTSC DV Standard you

mentioned.

I do NOT know how to “size your photos so that each has a 4:3 aspect”,

unless you mean doing that in Photoshop Elements, which I know how to do

(*see below)

I had NOT considered that I would need to watch the preset for the

‘Publish+Share’ step; so that’s good to know (I copied and pasted your info

for later use).

BTW, years ago when I had difficulties with my XP computer working on PE4

(had only 2 GB RAM), an Adobe tech told me to resize my photos * to have a

720 pixel width (the height would be automatically adjusted) to lower the

file size to something my computer could handle without crashing.  (That

was back in the good ol’ days when Adobe support would actually talk with

their customers and try to help them in the first month)

My new computer has 16GB RAM.  Do you think I still need to reduce file

size?  One does lose some sharpness in the resizing process…..however,

these videos I’m making are travelogues and are for a fun way to view pics

and videos of a trip…nothing Earth shattering….and just a hobby to keep me

off the streets.

I truly appreciate the time you take to help me (and others).  I was even

tempted to try to install my old PE4 on my new computer just to be able to

enjoy my hobby again.

My reply to the above....

1. If you camera is giving you 4:3 photos and your Premiere Elements 12/12.1 is running on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit, then leave

the photos as is unless you have a lot of photos and each has pixel dimensions sizes way over 1920 x 1080 pixels that are giving your computer resource issues. If you have to down size them because of computer resources, then copy the photos to a computer desktop folder and also create an empty folder on the computer desktop.

a. Photoshop Elements Editor, File Menu/Process Multiple Files.

• Process Files form Folder
                          • Source - browse to and select the computer desktop folder with photos to be resized
                          • Destination - browse to and select the empty computer desktop folder
                          • Image Size

Check Mark Next To Resize Images

(no check mark next to Constrain Proportions)

Type in Width = 1000  (set units for pixels)

Type in Height = 750 (set unites for pixels)

• File Size

Check Mark Next to Convert Files To

Set for JPEG High Quality

The above should work fine for a NTSC DV Standard project with a burn to DVD disc with preset NTSC_Dolby DVD (4:3 video).

2. With regard to the TV Set and 16:9 video....when you have the DVD-player attached to the TV, do you have the opportunity to bring up a display of menus with

controls for Picture and Aspect Ratio? From what you have written so far, it looks like the answer is no. I am not sure how your TV DVD

player will handle 16:9.

Best do a mini test run

1. Project preset set manually to NTSC DV Widescreen (please refer to post 1 link)

A few photos sized for 1600 x 1200

In the Premiere Elements project, use the Safety Margins inner rectangle for text placement

Publish+Share/Disc/DVD disc with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD.

See what that looks like on your TV DVD player.

If you discovered that your current TV DVD player can be set for a 16:9 display, then I have a preferred workflow for

NTSC DV Widescreen which typically gives best possible results. Hints of things to come.

Please review and consider. Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 10. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

I am laughing as I write this follow up.

I took so long preparing the reply message to your post which was not yet in the thread, that your message finally arrived in your thread before I actually posted my reply in your thread.

ATR

• 11. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV

retchemteach wrote:

.  Question: What will my old 4:3 movies

Black bars left and right if aspect ratio is set to "normal" and cropped if you set to "zoom".

• 12. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

Just to clarify...I am not asking what you expect to see when you view 16:9 video on your TV which you report displays only 4:3 with no controls.

I am asking what you actually observe. Two different and important aspects of the matter in view of your description of your TV and its player.

Thanks.

ATR

• 13. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                                  retchemteach Level 1

Thank you for all your help on this issue.  I have copied and pasted your ideas into my document of help ideas.  I am forever grateful for your words and time.  I did change the presets for the 4:3 ratio you suggested and re-worked a few of the travelogue files with stills and videos, the full monty.  I burned a DVD+RW disc (could not find any DVD-RW locally) which would NOT play on the older DVD player we have, but it did on the newer one (whew).  The images fit nicely on the TV screen, and now that you are telling me that I don't need to resize my images so severely, I'm sure they will look even better for future files.  I am good to go on this problem.  I have been told by various people (including yourself) that a 16:9 TV can be set to show a 4:3 image, so at least my many years of travelogue movies are not wasted.  Until we purchase a new TV, I'll keep making the movies in 4:3, but I know how to reset to 16:9 if I ever want to do that.  Thank you from the bottom of my senile soul.

I will click on the link you sent about this being a closed issue for me.

I do have an additional question about something else.  I'll ask it in the general forum for people to track the info after I search a little.

retchemteach

• 14. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                                    retchemteach Level 1

I tried to click "Correct" to this message, but was unsuccessful.

That is why I am sending this post now.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 11:57 AM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 15. Re: This is about the still image size changing from what I see on the computer monitor and what the burned DVD shows on the TV
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

retchemteach

Thanks for the replies.

Very pleased that all worked out well for you. Great job.

Do not hesitate to ask questions or ask for clarification. We all learn in the sharing experience here.

Best wishes

ATR