3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 3:02 AM by vivekuma

Preloader: 1 of x Files

Michael84 Level 1

Hi there,

I have a set of Edge animations that depend on a large number of files including audio. The problem is that it might thus take 20-30 seconds until the preloading is done. During that time, the user has no indication on what the status of the preloader is. I'm aware that calculating the exact size of the composition is difficult and thus a preloader that shows percentage will be rather complex. My idea is to show to the user how many files have been and how many more still have to be loaded in order for him to get an idea on how much longer loading might take. Any idea how that could be done? Is there any queue for the files loaded by the preloader that I could access to generate such a status?

Thank you for sharing any thoughts on this.

• 1. Re: Preloader: 1 of x Files
          vivekuma Adobe Employee

Edge API doesn't expose such function where you can listen for the number of files loaded or remain to load.

But you can turn off the preload option for some of the audio/video which you don't need in the beginning. to reduce the loading time.

hth,

Vivekuma

• 2. Re: Preloader: 1 of x Files
            Michael84 Level 1

Are there any plans to add this kind of functionality in the future? The preloader is rather useless in its current form. Can I do anything to improve the current user experience?

• 3. Re: Preloader: 1 of x Files
              vivekuma Adobe Employee

As you understand showing a preloader with "% of data downloaded" info will be very difficult to calculate, and even if we calculate it will be always inaccurate.

Now coming to the preloader showing info like number of assets downloaded, this won't be a good user experience as the size of assets file will vary, say for example the Edge composition is having 10 small icon svg images (size is in KB), and include 1 large sized image/audio/video file, then the first 10 images will download fast, but the last large sized file can take a while to get ready. So, the progress bar info won't be uniform.

What we may do (can't commit on this) in the next release is to provide a "Preload Image" option for images as well, just like for Audio/Video. So, you can disable that option for Images that is not shown in first few frames of the animation. This way loading time will reduce.

hth,

Vivekuma

• 4. Re: Preloader: 1 of x Files
                Michael84 Level 1

I understand, but at least the user would be able to see a progress. Is there any way to access the list of files that are supposed to be loaded by Edge so basically all the element and symbol on the stage?

• 5. Re: Preloader: 1 of x Files
                  vivekuma Adobe Employee

Those kind of asset file state info is completely internal to Edge runtime, and are not exposed through the Edge API.