8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 10:51 AM by Merlin Lien

Photos backed up to desktop

Merlin Lien

After importing from a memory card, the photos backed up into a file on my desktop appear as Adobe documents, which I cannot open.  What can I do to open or has something gone wrong during the process?

• 1. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
          dj_paige Level 9

Are the photos actually imported into Lightroom? Can you see their thumbnails in Lightroom?

What do you mean you cannot open the photos? How are you trying to open them? What happens when you try?

• 2. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
            Merlin Lien Level 1

Yes, they appear in Lightroom - only in the file on my desktop they appear

as Adobe documents - which cannot be opened.

• 3. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
              Merlin Lien Level 1

Apologies, only saw the second part of your mail after responding.   I

mean, when I click on one of the Adobe documents in the file that the

photos were sent to, it does not open.

When I try, the system tells me it cannot be opened.   They individually

have the Adobe logo on the side facing out - they do not appear as photos.

There is nothing other than the Adobe logo on the whole image.

• 4. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                dj_paige Level 9

If you are double-clicking on a file on your desktop, then I would expect it not to open if the file is a certain file type ... what file type is it?

But more importantly, once you import the photos into Lightroom, you no longer should work with the files in your operating system on your desktop. You work with the files in Lightroom only.

• 5. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                  Merlin Lien Level 1

The file opens, then the 'pages' appear with the Adobe Logo in the middle.

There are 'pages' numbered as the photos would be - meaning if I 'copied'

eg 10 photos when downloading from the memory card and click 'Copy' (which

should copy and add) then the opened files will show 10 pages with the

Adobe logo in the middle of each.  When I try to open one of these 'pages'

(which should be appearing as photos) the message that comes up tells me

Adobe Reader cannot open this as it is not a supported file.

Is there perhaps somewhere else that I need to open, click on, prepare in

some way, to have the photos being 'Imported' from the memory card and

'copied' to the file named as the destination on my desktop to appear in

the file as prints that can be seen?

• 6. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                    dj_paige Level 9

As I said, once you import photos into Lightroom, you then should ONLY work with them in Lightroom, and not on your desktop.

You didn't answer my question ... what file type is the file you are clicking on?

• 7. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                      Merlin Lien Level 1

I do not want to work on the photos in the file on my desktop.  The first

question should perhaps be when I open the file the photos were 'copied' to

when importing them, should mnot be able to see actual copies of the photos

imported?   Here I mean, pictures that are the same as when I view them on

Lightroom?   All I see in the file is 'ages' for want of a better

description, that have the Adobe logo in the middle of each 'page', there

are the same number of 'pages' as the number of 'photos' coped, but other

than the logo, they are blank 'pages'.   There are no photos or images

other than the logo.

Should there be images or 'copies' that can be viewed or not?   Should

there only be these blank 'pages'.  To my mind if I 'copy' a photo from one

location to another, I expect to see an exact replica of the photo in the

file it was 'copied' to.  Is this not the case when 'copying' a photo via

Lightroom to a file on my desktop?

• 8. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                        Merlin Lien Level 1

I am working on Windows 7 - the file I use is created by the system in

documents - which is what I have always used to store photos on prior to

Lightroom.

• 9. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                          Merlin Lien Level 1

*when importing photos from a memory card, this is the instructions I

followed -*

5. Tell Lightroom where to put your photos.

On the right side of the import window, click To and specify where you want

to save your copied photos. You can select a location on your hard drive,

on an attached external drive, or on a networked drive.

You can also open the Destination panel on the right side of the import

window to create a subfolder in your chosen location.

• 10. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                            dj_paige Level 9

Merlin Lien wrote:

I do not want to work on the photos in the file on my desktop.  The first

question should perhaps be when I open the file the photos were 'copied' to

when importing them, should mnot be able to see actual copies of the photos

imported?   Here I mean, pictures that are the same as when I view them on

Lightroom? 

I guess we're not communicating. I said earlier it depends on the file type and your operating system, and twice I have asked to know what file type these are, and I don't see an answer.

I also said ... twice ... that if you are using Lightroom, you should NOT be trying to use these files by opening them or viewing them or browsing them in your operating system. Not only does using your operating system defeat the purpose of using Lightroom, but you also run into these problems that you are describing, problems you would not have if you used Lightroom to view your photos.

• 11. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                              Merlin Lien Level 1

Perhaps I have used an incorrect term 'file'.  What I do (in Windows 7)

click on Documents, click on 'New Folder'  and name it then move the folder

to 'Desktop'.     When doing the import in Lightroom, on the right side of

import window where specify where to save photos under Destination - select

location on hard drive - I select Desktop  (where the folder can be seen) -

and click on that.

I cannot give the correct name for this type of folder, I just do not know

what it is.

The way to do is is found on Lightroom Help 5. Tell Lightroom where to put

your photos.

• 12. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                                elie-d Level 4

It will help communication to use the right English terms. What you have been calling "pages", the things with the Adobe logo, are files. The files are in a folder. What dj paige has been asking for is the type of file, not the type of folder. There are several ways of knowing the file type: if the name of the file is displayed, the type is indicated by the three letters after the period. If the name of a file is IMG_001.jpg, it is a Jpeg file. If the file name is not displayed, put the mouse pointer on the file - a flag might appear with the full name of the file. Or put the mouse on the file and click the right side button. A menu will open and at the bottom will be "Properties". Choose that and a window will open that tells you the type of the file.

• 13. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                                  dj_paige Level 9

So your photos are copied from the camera card to a new folder that you just created on the desktop. They remain files in this new folder.

What still doesn't make sense, and an issue that you still haven't addressed in any way, is why you are trying to use the photos from your operating system by double-clicking on them in Windows. As I have said 14,271 times already, you want to make use of these photos in Lightroom and not in Windows. Can't you see these photos and use them in Lightroom?

• 14. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                                    Merlin Lien Level 1

Thank you for taking the time to explain this.  I apologise for the

ignorance.   Being born in the previous century (the first half of it) has

not helped this knowledge to come naturally.   Thanks to you, today was a

huge learning curve.

The file is LightRoom (.NEF).   Again am unsure whether the 'LightRoom' is

necessary, but that was how it displayed.

Hope I have it right now.

• 15. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                                      elie-d Level 4

Being born in the previous century (the first half of it)...

Me too, 1940 to be exact. Welcome to the Around The Bend Support Group.

The file is LightRoom (.NEF).

O.K., mystery solved. A NEF is a Raw file made by a Nikon camera. Raw files are not actually image files. They are only data files, data that can be used by a Raw conversion program like Lightroom to build an image. That image can either be viewed in Lightroom or exported from it into a new file that is an image file, a jpeg or a tiff. So you can't just click directly on a NEF and expect to see the photo. As dj paige has been saying, you have to view it within Lightroom. Let LR do its thing and create the image. If you don't like how it is doing it, there are ample controls to change it. Then you can continue to view it in LR or export a file that can be opened in other programs.

• 16. Re: Photos backed up to desktop
                                        Merlin Lien Level 1

Thank you!   That answers a host of questions and I now understand.