0 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2014 11:49 AM by LevitatedEntertainment

Imac 5K VS Macbook Pro For Editing?

LevitatedEntertainment

Hello, my name is Sam and I am currently editing on my mid 2009 macbook pro 17" laptop. I have a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo Processor and I upgraded my ram to 8GB. I have been using this laptop for editing videos since I got it in 2009.

Up until now I have been shooting on DSLR and recording and editing in H.264 using Premier Pro CS6. Now I am starting to shoot higher quality videos in RAW and editing in prores 422. I just shot a music video using a Canon 5D Mark 3 with magic lantern shooting RAW and now that I am in the editing stage I find my computer is very slow. I can easily scrub through the footage in the timeline or when I want to preview it but when I want to use magic bullet looks, denoiser or anything of the sort, it takes 30 seconds to render one frame of footage. This video will be about 6 minutes long so 8,640 frames given that I am editing at 24fps. So if I use my computer it will take roughly 259,200 seconds (4,320 minutes) to render which is equivalent to exactly 72 hours or 3 days.

So I think it is time to update my system but after comparing the new iMac 5K to the 15" macbook pro with similar specs, it looks like the macbook pro is a better machine and is $630 cheaper.

Below is a photo of the two computers and the specs I would upgrade (Also the specs were chosen to make them as similar as possible). The only real difference in the hardware are the graphic cards as the iMac has the option to upgrade to the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5 instead of the 2GB which only added $250 to the system. So the Macbook Pro is still $380 cheaper. 

Screen Shot 2014-12-04 at 2.38.01 PM.png

So basically, I don't know which computer would be better a better choice for edit video on in Premiere Pro. Besides the obvious fact that the iMac has a 27" 5K monitor, what system will perform better for what I am doing? And mobility is not an issue so it doesn't matter if I can travel with it or not. I just want the computer that can handle the job.

Thank you,

Sam