28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 19, 2014 6:44 AM by nyds0806

Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

nyds0806 Level 1

Kindly review this brief Flash and rate this "1-10"  based on the quality of the pre-loader and the animation as a whole:

http://www.gisser.com/raregrowthstockopp

If you detect any problems, your additional feedback is welcome.

Thank you

• 1. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
          robdillon Most Valuable Participant

This is not the worst thing that I've ever seen. It's very close, but not actually the worst. This is, of course, complete spam. It is incompetent, boorish, poorly executed, badly illustrated, this is just awful!

• 2. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
            nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

I made this Flash for my brother's auto business and he is finding glitches in the animation. I am seeking advice from professionals to correct the motion jitters on some PCs. Let's keep the discussion to an objective critique. Thank you.

• 3. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

Then you should have stated that objective in your original post. This sort of thing shows up a lot on this forum as click bait. The basic problem with your work is that you are attempting to animate very large bitmap graphics. Bitmaps take a long time to download, relatively speaking.

Everything that you are animating is moved at the same pace, and so it is monotonous. The animation at the start, of the vehicles moving left and right needs to show the vehicles moving in same perspective as the vehicles were drawn. The following information about the investment opportunities doesn't really say anything useful, but it does say it in lots of color, with the same animation as you used at the start. This is monotonous.

1 person found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

Thanks, this is helpful.

But as my brother wanted these large images of his hand-drawn autos, and the many backgrounds that are large too....

1) is there any way "as-is", to reduce the jerkiness of motion? Either from as Flash setting, or other?

2) Did you see a smooth animation, or was your PC also showing the motion in a jittery way?

I use a iMac, 12GB  RAM, looks pretty much fine. Viewed it fine on an a MacBook Air and a PC with 6 GB RAM....also fine. Thx. I need a solution that will display this smoothly on all PCs.

• 5. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                  nyds0806 Level 1

And why doesn't the preload solve the download issue you cited?

• 6. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

I don't know what you are preloading. You have a loading indicator at the start and then a logo appears. Then there is another countdown. Is this countdown also loading some content? Or is all of the file loading at the start?

If the contents are fully loaded into memory, then the playback problem is computer performance. You are moving large bitmap images around on the screen. This takes not only memory but also processing power. The problematic PCs may have little or no graphics memory.

The only solution to poor performance is to reduce the load on the graphics card and/or the computer's processor. To do that you will need to use simpler or smaller or fewer bitmap graphics.

• 7. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                      nyds0806 Level 1

The 5,4,3,2,1 countdown is just an animation my brother liked, it is not another loader. It's no different than the rest...

I am preloading the entire 3:15 animation with he blue bar pre-loader. I thought this is supposed to remove any slowdown/jerky motion in the play of the Flash?  But this is not the case....despite the pre-loader, there are parts where the animation gets glitchy.

Thanks

• 8. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

Loading a Flash .swf into the user's memory only brings the content into that user's memory. The file still needs to be unpacked and organized. Flash plays the file and animates the parts in real time. It is unlike playing digital video. Animating bitmap images in Flash requires a considerable amount of graphics processing power. This is one of the reasons that it is unsuited to playback on mobile devices.

Here' s an article on optimizing for Flash: Flash Professional Help | Best practices - Optimizing FLAfiles for SWF output

Here's another from Disney: Walt Disney Internet Group: Media Kit

Here's an article on methods for reducing the download wait: 12 Steps To Faster Flash!

• 9. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                          nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

Thanks. I will review these.

• 10. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                            nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

Do you feel the design of this Flash was, in anyway, created in a  technically faulty manner?

• 11. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

You'll have to be more specific. What do you mean by technically faulty? I will need to see the original movie files, the .flas, to evaluate the the production. I will also need to see the your design objectives to evaluate whether you met those or not.

The only thing that I have to look at now is your link in the first message. That is your original movie. Did you make any changes? What are you trying to improve? Your file runs, so it's technically correct. Is there an issue with the smoothness of the playback, or a delay in playback? If so, I'm not seeing any.

• 12. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                                nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

I made no changes to that file. Here's is the .fla file:  www.nydesign.com/Gisser3d.fla.zip

Thank you for taking the time

• 13. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

OK.

1. This is a linear timeline animation with no sound. It runs smoothly for me.

2. Most of your type has been converted to .png files. I'm not sure that this is necessary in all cases. Keeping the text as text will give you a smaller file size and you can, usually, achieve the same animation techniques with text as you can with a .png.

3. Since this is a linear animation with no interactivity, you could export it as a video. This might give you some advantages over a Flash file: You won't need to preload anything, the video will begin to play very quickly, the video can be played on phones and tablets as well as computer screens, you can place a copy of the video at youtube and other video outlets.

4. I see nothing odd or dangerous in your current animation. It can stand as it is if you like.

Hope this helps.

• 14. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                                    nyds0806 Level 1

Thanks Rob.

What are the steps you would take to save a copy as a video? And would this video be interactive, as there is a link on the final screen.

• 15. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

From Flash select Export from the File menu. This will bring up three options: select Export Video... This will begin a process that includes saving a .mov file from Flash, then Adobe Media Encoder will open. Once that opens you can select the video compressor and the options for that compressor that you want to use. I did a quick test with the default .mp4 options in Media Encoder and the result looked good to me, but I'm not your customer.

You can either add a link to the video playback itself on the web page, or you can add a link below the video on the web page.

• 16. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                                        nyds0806 Level 1

Rob,

I followed your instructions, the mp4 is 270 mb. I uploaded to the web and it is stuck saying "Loading..."

Did I need another setting addressed in Media Encoder so it's a smaller file, and also plays instantly? I used the default, but should I select a different Format and Preset?

See it here: http://www.gisser.com/raregrowthstockopp/default2.htm

Is the HTML correct?

Thanks.

• 17. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

I'm guessing that you found the problem. I hit the link and the video started immediately and played right through.

I looked at your html and you still have all of the Flash content stuff in there. You should either remove that or comment it out to properly test the video.

• 18. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                                            nyds0806 Level 1

I'm on Mac Safari. The loading bar starts loading until 1/3 through, THEN the video starts. I experienced some pauses too.

• 19. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                                              nyds0806 Level 1

Thank you for all your time Rob...but sometimes it loads, other times it does not load at all. Its stalled.

Any way to address this, or reduce the 270 MB size?

• 20. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

I edited your html to remove anything that might be getting in the way of the video. See if this works any better for you.

----------

<HTML> 

<HEAD>

<title> Gisser Automotive - Rare Growth Stock Opportunity</title>

<style type="text/css" media="screen">

html, body { height:100%; background-color: #000000;}

body { margin:0; padding:0; overflow:hidden; }

#flashContent { width:100%; height:100%; }

</style>

<style type="text/css">

body,td,th {

font-size: 7pt;

color: #ECECEC;

}

body {

background-color: #000000;

font-family: "Gotham Book", "Gotham Bold", "Gotham Light", "Gotham Medium";

font-style: normal;

font-weight: normal;

color: #BBB7B7;

}

</style>

</head>

<body FRAMEBORDER=0 BORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 MARGINWIDTH=0  MARGINHEIGHT=0 margin="0" leftmargin="0" topmargin="0">

<div align="center">

<table width="1100" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0">

<tbody>

<tr>

<td align="center"><br>

<video width="1000" height="300" controls autoplay loop >

<source src="Gisser3d_1.mp4" type="video/mp4">

</video>

</td>

</tr>

</tbody>

</table>

</div>

</body>

</html>

--------------

• 21. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

To try and reduce the output file size, you can adjust the compressor settings:

In Adobe Media Encoder, select the Preset titled "Match Source - Medium bitrate. When that shows up in the left column, right click on the preset name and then select "Export Settings..." from the list that pops up. From the new window that opens, deselect "Export Audio", and then click on "OK". You should get a file that is about 100K.

• 22. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                                                    nyds0806 Level 1

You mean 100 MB, not 100 K, correct?

And I am still  seeing a stalled video.  Any ideas?

http://www.gisser.com/raregrowthstockopp/default2.htm

Any code I can add that forces an immediate play?

Final thought...since the .mp4 and .mov files are 100 MB or larger, and the .fla file is just 9 MB, isn't it wiser to go with the .fla?  We're trying to lessen the load...

• 23. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

Yes, 100mb, sorry. If you tried the simplified html that I sent and your file is still showing problems then my first guess is that there is a problem with your connection at some point. If you test the html locally, does it play as you expect?

The difference in file size is misleading. A video file will stream from the server to the user's computer, so it will begin to play when a small portion of the file has downloaded and will continue to play. A Flash file has to download completely and then uncompress, the Flash player has to interpret all of the code and then begin to play the file.

• 24. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                                                        nyds0806 Level 1

Thanks again Rob. I uploaded a new version with audio added to one of the smaller Flashes on that page, since the main Flash has 4 scenes and I don't believe the one audio will play through all 4 scenes, since it's placed in a single scene. Tell me if you think all looks good in this semi-final version: http://www.gisser.com/raregrowthstockopp

• 25. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

I heard no sound through your link. The Flash animation played smoothly. It looked correct to me, other than the sound.

• 26. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested
                                                            nyds0806 Level 1

1) Did you refresh your cache? I imported an .aiff file and I heard the sound fine....it plays from the top header Flash.

2) What audio filetypes are 100% reliable to play inside a .swf file?

3) Also, my brother wrote:

"Also just to let you know, on Safari I am being prompted to install the flash player which can be embedded so that viewers do not have to go through this, or come to a blank screen. Also on the PC, Im getting a black screen where the flash should be with no loading bar and no upper bar for about 15 seconds. Should visitors come to this they will likely leave before it has a chance to load."

4) Is there an alternative preloader that will display on all browsers and operating systems? Here's my script:

stop();

this.addEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, preload1);

function preload1(e:Event):void{

var total_bytes:Number = this.stage.loaderInfo.bytesTotal;

var loaded_bytes:Number = this.stage.loaderInfo.bytesLoaded;

loadingbar3.scaleX = loaded_bytes/total_bytes;

loadText.text = Math.floor((loaded_bytes/total_bytes)*100)+ "%";

if (total_bytes == loaded_bytes){

gotoAndPlay(2);

this.removeEventListener(Event.ENTER_FRAME, preload1);

}

}

Any ideas Rob?

• 27. Re: Feedback on Flash file from Adobe Community Requested

I did hear the sound on this try.

The function that you are showing me only displays the loading bar and the text that tells how much is loading. You have three Flash movies playing on this page. That can complicate things. You could easily replace the top one with a static graphic. You might consider integrating the ticker into the large Flash movie, or simplifying it as an animated gif.

If a user doesn't have the Flash plugin, then they will get the prompt to download it. You can remove that part of the code on your page and redirect users to an alternate page if you like. I have no idea why Windows would be dramatically different in playback unless it is a slow computer with little memory available.