10 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2015 1:59 AM by talbot649

Presentation Slideshow - Help!

brushboxdesign

I have a client presentation that has several pages that need to work like a slideshow. I have spent countless hours trying to see if a SWF file would work (using object states and buttons), but this presentation will be projected and the transition needs to happen with the hit of the Next Arrow key.

Is there any other way to create a slideshow build for a PDF presentation in InDesign? My last resort option is adding a new page for each build, but I would prefer not doing this because the document is already 250 pages and that would add at least 100 pages.

ANY suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

• 1. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!
          BobLevine MVP & Adobe Community Professional

My suggestion is to use PowerPoint or Keynote.

• 2. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have spent countless hours trying to see if a SWF file would work (using object states and buttons), but this presentation will be projected and the transition needs to happen with the hit of the Next Arrow key.

You should be able to make a SWF presentation and use the forward and back arrow keys—no need for buttons. The trick is there has to be an initial click on the HTML page to activate the keys. So in the browser example below, if you press the right arrow key when the page loads nothing will happen, but if you click on the page first, the arrows will flip the pages. You only have to click once to get the interaction going:

swfexample

• 3. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!

Also, if you open the swf directly into the Flash Player app you won't need the initial click. The first click is only needed when running from a browser. Flash Player app gets install with Flash Pro—it's in the Players folder. If you don't have FlashPro installed you can get Flash Player from the below link—note that the stand alone app is different than the browser plugin so you need the Flash Player 15 Projector download

Adobe Flash Player - Downloads

I'm assuming you are running the presentation from a desktop, so you shouldn't have to run the swf from a browser.

• 4. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!
                brushboxdesign Level 1

Bob – As a design team we are trying to move away from Keynote or PPT. Especially considering the extent of this 250 page presentation and the fact that there are over 1,000 linked images associated with it. Thank you so much for your suggestion though!

Rob – This is totally what I am looking for. However, which interactive tool do I use in InDesign to create this without buttons? Also, this will not be run from a browser and I would prefer skipping the initial click, so does it have to go through Flash or is there a way around that in InDesign or Acrobat? I don't want to count on the Flash app because my client that are opening this on a Windows machine might not have an up-to-date Flash player.

• 5. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!

It’s the wrong tool, especially for something this lengthy. As for flash, I have no idea what Windows/Mac has to do with it…it’s a dead technology for this type of thing.

What happens if someone wants to open it on an iPad or an Android device?

You’re gambling on this big time. Of course there may be something better for presos than Keynote or PowerPoint, but I can assure you that InDesign does not meet that description.

• 6. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!
                    Jeffrey_Smith Most Valuable Participant

Why not export Indesign to PDF with page transitions and view it in Full Screen Mode?

• 7. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!
                      brushboxdesign Level 1

Bob, I would like to understand your stance on this. The Indesign/Keynote/Powerpoint debacle has been a lengthy debate at my agency. Designers against account, as you can imagine.

A very big reason we chose to put this 250 presentation in InDesign is because of the Book feature in InDesign and the fact that a few designers can work on this at one time, all of the Books/Chapters link together, the typography features, and Relink aspect.

Is there another program that you would suggest that offers these same benefits and collaborative working feature?

• 8. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!
                        brushboxdesign Level 1

Jeff – I am trying to avoid page transitions because the document is already 250 pages and adding a page per transition would add at least 100 pages, if not more.

• 9. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!
                          This is totally what I am looking for. However, which interactive tool do I use in InDesign to create this without buttons?

My example was a SWF export with Page Turn set as the transition. The SWF export generates a SWF and an HTML player container. The HTML container is for running the SWF from a Flash enabled browser and, as I mentioned, the SWF can be run directly from the Flash Player projector app, which is free from Abobe.

I don't want to count on the Flash app because my client that are opening this on a Windows machine might not have an up-to-date Flash player.

I don't think there is a fool proof way of doing this if you don't have direct communication with the client. Whatever form the presentation is in the client will obviously have to have the software to run it—if it's Keynote do they have Keynote? I don't own a copy of PowerPoint.

The latest version of Google’s Chrome has Flash built in and doesn't rely on a plugin the way Safari or Firefox do, so running a SWF out of Chrome would be a fairly safe option if they know to click to start. You would have to include the HTML container and SWF in a folder with instructions to open the HTML file in Chrome.

You could also include the projector app with the presentation SWF. Running out of Flash Player is a bit cleaner because you don't have to fuss with the HTML container.

• 10. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!

Unfortunately no, beyond a fairly static PDF as Jeffrey Smith pointed out, I got nothin’.

But what I will say is that PowerPoint gets a very bad rap because of so many poorly created presentations. Like any other tool, it can be used for good or evil.

And yes, I totally understand where you’re coming from but you’re trying to jam a square peg into a round hole.

• 11. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!

Page Transitions do not add "pages" to a document. It is just the transition effect when viewer goes from one page to another. The only way to see Page Transitions work is to view PDF in Full Screen Mode. And you can export interactive PDF with this option enabled.

• 12. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!

Heres are the locations for the important ingredients to make a PDF work with page transitions:

transitions.jpg

• 13. Re: Presentation Slideshow - Help!
                                  talbot649

Hi there,

Did you find a fix for this? I'm working on a PDF presentation for my client with a mix of static pages and SWF pages to be viewed in full screen mode, but when we hit the first SWF page the page won;t move on with a mouse click. Desperate for a solution!