9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 4:47 PM by my lpe

premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s

my lpe

Hi.

can't get my iphone 4s video into adobe premiere elements 10.  won't accept it.

• 1. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Moved from Premiere Pro to the correct forum

Which version of Quicktime do you have installed?

Some people find that Iphone won't edit easily because it uses a variable frame rate

- A possible fix in message #22 http://forums.adobe.com/thread/934466

• 2. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
            my lpe Level 1

Hi.

I greatly appreciate your input.

But I’m not sure I made my problem clear.

So let me try again with some more specifics.

I have Premiere Elements 10.

Every time I try to upload an iphone 4s video file  to Premiere Elements, it fails and I get a window:  “Error message. The importer reported a generic error.”

I have no idea why this happens.

Do you?

Thanks.

Robert Panush

• 3. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Ipe

Let us get down to the basics?

What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 10 running on?

What is the video card/graphics card that your computer uses?

Are your problems only with editing the iPhone 4s video or with all video?

Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 10?

Are you running the program as Administrator?

Although editing video recorded with a variable frame rate can be a problem for Premiere Elements (audio out of sync or such video

not importing at all), let us leave that for later. If necessary, we can look to converting a variable to a constant frame

rate in a program such as HandBrake.

We will be watching for your follow up.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
                my lpe Level 1

Hi.

Well, I fixed the problem—and I owe it all to you!

I updated my quicktime.

Took me 1 1/2 hours to figure out how to do that, but I got the job done.

Thank you so much!!!!

Robert Panush

• 5. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert Panush

Wonderful news. And, great job working through the troubleshooting suggestions to resolve the problem.

Please never hesitate to ask if you are blocked by some aspect of your workflow. We are glad for the opportunity

to be of assistance.

Best wishes as you move forward with your video projects.

ATR

• 6. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
                    my lpe Level 1

Hi.

I have another question about which you might have some ideas .

When editing and then playing my video to check and then continue editing, my old desktop computer (apparently) was not powerful enough—and the video would stop frequently—and I had to push the spacebar.

So I got a new, more powerful desktop computer—and for 3 months, the problem was fixed.

But after the three months, the problem re-emerged.  UNLESS, I discovered, I attach my external hard drive.  Then, I don’t have the problem.

Any ideas on what’s going on and how I can fix it—so I don’t need to attach the hard drive?

Thanks.

Robert

rpanushfamily@comcast.net

• 7. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

After you attach your external hard drive, do you shift any of our projects' source media there for storage before you open a new project that uses the

source media from the external hard drive?

Or is the problem solved just by attaching the external hard drive to the computer and nothing else - plug in,

plug out, plug in?

ATR

• 8. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
                        my lpe Level 1

HI.

Wow.  Thanks for the quick response!

I just plug the external hard drive into the desktop computer tower—and then click the “save” in elements.

And then there is no more sudden stops as I watch what I have just edited (or if I have not done any editing yet).

Thanks.

Robert

• 9. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Robert

Thanks for the reply with the additional information on your external hard drive attachment to your desktop computer.

My first question to get at the why the improvement with the external hard drive attached would be...

When you saved in Elements before what was the free space amount at the save location designated....and now what is

the free external hard drive space when you designate it as the save location for your Premiere Elements saves?

We could also investigate the comparative drive speeds for the drives involved.

With the plug in and out external hard drive situation, periodically check the drive letter of the external hard drive to assure

that it is not changing. That could cause some media disconnect issues for your projects if the projects source media are

stored on the external hard drive.

Just some thoughts for now.

ATR

• 10. Re: premiere elements not accepting video from my iphone 4s
                            my lpe Level 1

Hi.

Sure appreciate your interest and assistance.

You asked:  “When you saved in Elements before what was the free space amount at the save location designated....and now what is

the free external hard drive space when you designate it as the save location for your Premiere Elements saves?”

I never designate the external hard drive as the save location.  It makes a copy automatically.

Also, you mention investigating “drive speeds.”  I didn’t think the external hard drive has a drive speed (?).

If it does, would that mean the external hard drive is somehow helping the desktop internal hard drive?

I’m not sure what you mean when you say:   (With the plug in and out external hard drive situation), periodically check the drive letter of the external hard drive to assure

that it is not changing. That could cause some media disconnect issues for your projects if the projects source media are

stored on the external hard drive.”  I think the external hard drive just makes a copy. 

Let me know.

thanks.

Robert Panush