8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2016 11:08 AM by susan mazur

Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects

dean.p Level 1

I'm working on a magazine, not that large, 64 pages (I often do 100s of pages) and this has happened to me before with CC. I move a text box, image, shape, QR code or anything on the page, I get the spinning wheel for about 3 seconds before the object moves and cursor is 'released'. Sometimes up to 6-7 seconds. If I press 'undo', takes the object same amount of time to move back. Seems to be random, the document is fine one minute, but if it starts to happen with a document the slowdown and won't go away.

Saving as a new document, restarting Indesign does not fix.

Exporting as idml and re-opening/saving as a new doc does not fix

Changing from normal to fast display mode does not fix

Turning off Preflight does not fix

Empty cache does not fix.

Indesign is up to date

My PC is Windows 7, 64bit, 16GB Ram, 240GB SSD plus 4TB storage.

Been using Indesign since it replaced PageMaker way back when

• 1. Re: Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Sounds like it could be hyperlinks or cross-references being checked, especially if they point to something outside the document.

• 2. Re: Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects
            dean.p Level 1

Unfortunately, I don't think that's the problem. Everything works fine, then all of a sudden, the problem starts happening and there seems to be no solution to fix from then on.

I will get the spinning wheel if I move ANYTHING on the page, textbox, image, vector or whatever.. regardless if I have any hyperlinks. I do a monthly magazine, about 52 pages on average, full color, hardcopy and eBooks, product art etc.... and once every few months, this issue just randomly pops up (I've worked on 500+ page book with no issue, using the book function)

Once the issue starts happening, every time I move something and get the spinning wheel, I also get a lot of disc activity, perhaps caching issue?

In the task manager, while the spinning wheel's spinning, Indesign becomes 'Not Responding' for maybe half a second, CPU jumps from 0 to 10%, memory usage sitting at about 650MB. disk activity goes from 0 - 29,000 B/sec read, 400,000+ B/sec write

Other things I've tried are:

Turning off 'Copy PDF to clipboard' - Preferences

Turning off 'Auto Update URL Status' - Hyperlinks options

Turning off 'Show thumbnails' - Pages panel options

Turning off 'Object Level display settings' - Views options

Saving file to an SSD does not fix

• 3. Re: Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects
              dean.p Level 1

O.k., an update on this!

I noticed, working on this document in a folder, there is a temporary file created and is deleted once you close the document. I sometimes create a packaged document from a previous publication, and I create a new issue (rather than using a template). There is usually no problem, however, if this slowdown problem arises sometime working on this document, It may arise from me copying an element/s from another Indesign document and pasting into my new document. Because, when I just moved something, a temporary file appears, disappears, reappears .... in the folder of the other Indesign document! Weird! The temp file keeps appearing and reappearing while the wheel is spinning, then disappears (hence the disk activity). Stupid thing is, this now happens when I move absolutely anything in the new document.

So, I could possibly fix by trying to find what I copied and pasted, but that seams crazy to me that it should be an issue in the first place.

• 4. Re: Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects
                dean.p Level 1

Update 2... Confirmed that this odd temp file created is the slowdown. I renamed the folder of the previous document, so now Idesign 'cannot find' the old document location, therefore can't create the odd temp file, and the wheel spinning does not occur... moving an object is now virtually instant.

If I then change the old folder back to the original name, the slowdown occurs where the wheel spins again from anything from 3 - 10 seconds.

• 5. Re: Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects
                  alinaalvarez00 Level 1

Hi,

Were you able to figure this out? @dean.p?

I am having the same issue, I don't have many pages either it's like 40 and it's a web file, it's quite small in size but I can't get myself to type, move, erase or do anything without getting the spinning wheel. It's so ridiculous I can't even explain this. I had my computer formatted last week and unfortunately my time machine also played games on me so I lost my CS6 applications, I wanted to try CC before deciding on whether I will buy CS6 again or will start using CC. This is clearly pointing at CS6 again but I am also annoyed that I will stay outdated if I keep pushing my switch to CC. Please help, I have read all forums trying to avoid posting more questions but I can't seem to figure it out.

• 6. Re: Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects
                    dean.p Level 1

Hi, yes I can confirm it's due to copying items from another InDesign file.

Not really a fix as it's a bug in InDesign, but here's the work-around:

• If you have copied items from another InDesign file, open the old folder, and watch for any temp files appearing while you have the spinning wheel (you may need to 'show hidden files' in the explorer folder options.) If a temp file keeps appearing and disappearing in that folder, that's the culprit.
                    • So rename the old folder (use an underscore or similar). Then indesign will not be able to reference the old folder and create these odd temp files.
                    • If you copy any more items form other InDesign files, you will need to rename those folders (or rename that folder again), but don't change the name back to the original name as it will start slowing down InDesign again.

Hope this make sense... if not, I could probably make a small YouTube video of the bug and work-around.

• 7. Re: Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects
                      klexup Level 1

So I am having the same issue. I'm not quite understanding the steps though. I didn't copy anything from another document, but the behavior is the same. If I keep the file open, I can clear see the temp lock file appear and disappear in cadence with the spinning of the wheel. However, if I save, close out, and rename the folder, it still happens. Can somebody help me?

• 8. Re: Indesign CC 2014 Spinning wheel for about 3 seconds every time when moving objects
                        susan mazur Level 1

I have this same problem and an adobe tech helped me fix it. I tried all the other issues with the copying / pasting from old files that have been suggested here. Try quitting InDesign, then on your desktop from the top menu, pull down from GO ---- go to folder. Type in ~/Library and hit GO. then find the InDesign prefs and trash and find the InDesign cache and trash. Or, if you don't want to trash those files, create new folds Called InDesign Prefs OLD and InDesign Cache OLD and put the current stuff in there. Then restart InDesign. This fixed the problem for me.

1 person found this helpful