8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 9:05 PM by gaijinboricua

Tweaking components - z97 build critique request

gaijinboricua

Well folks, I am looking at building a new setup which I will be overclocking. The main uses will be converting old VHS tapes to 1080p, modifying them (using Premiere, After Effects, and Red Giant instant HD), and burning them to bluray. Time is not of an essence and I could wait is it would mean more bang for the buck (up to next April 2015). My main goal is to get best bang for the buck. I will be using this computer for the next 4-5 years, and my uses wont look like they will change (not going to 4K anytime soon). I use a NAS for my backups.

Please have a look and tell me what I could improve:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/gaijinboricua/saved/mhnNnQ

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($299.98 @ NCIX US)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($209.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($302.56 @ Amazon)

+OS and Apps Storage: Samsung 850 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($169.99 @ NCIX US)

+Raid 0: Media, Projects

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC)

Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.49 @ OutletPC)

+Raid 0: Previews, Media Cache, Exports

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card  ($269.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Silverstone RV04B-W ATX Full Tower Case  ($159.99 @ Directron) **The case in this list is just an example and any recommendations on a better case are appreciated.

Power Supply: Corsair 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($229.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer  ($49.99 @ Micro Center)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (OEM) (64-bit)  ($128.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $2048.41

========================================================================================== ==========

• 1. Re: Tweaking components - z97 build critique request
          JEShort01 Level 4

Seems like you've done some homework, that's a pretty solid build list for your mission!

Two pretty minor suggestions:

- Upgrade to the more capable Cooler Master Hyper D92; it's not much more expense and you will be making plenty of heat for what you plan to do

- Do a 4x RAID 0 (assuming that MB will support that) using Intel ports instead of 2 2x arrays; that will give you more speed more of the time (32GB provides plenty of Windows caching)

Regards,

Jim

• 2. Re: Tweaking components - z97 build critique request
            gaijinboricua Level 1

Thanks.

As for the RAID, I wasnt sure if I should have two in order to cause less impact during rendering (by splitting the major IOPS) parts. It is safe to assume that by putting everything in a 4 disk RAID 0, performance wont be impacted?

I will definetely look at upgrading that cooler.

By intel ports, do you mean a seperate RAID card or the ones in the mobo?

• 3. Re: Tweaking components - z97 build critique request
              JEShort01 Level 4

On the RAID, I would think that there would be a speed difference with the 4x option being faster. While old-school theory was to put reads and writes on separate drives, the big RAM PCs (like your new build) have so much RAM for caching that the big RAIDs just work faster.

On the Intel ports, I did not look up the particular specs for the specific m/b, but I did mean the ones on the motherboard. Sometimes boards will have Intel and Marvell ports, and you should hope that you have at least 4x Intel SATA ports on the m/b. You can mix/match 3/6 GB/s ports, but make sure they are all Intel ports for the RAID drives.

• 4. Re: Tweaking components - z97 build critique request
                gaijinboricua Level 1

Understood, thanks. I couldnt find the specs mentioning if it uses intel or marvell, but worse comes to worse I could add a RAID controller card.

Now I wonder about a good case, and if I should buy aftermarket case fans. I would prefer a case with filters, bit the main goal is to have good cooling in order to help keep the CPU cool. Any preference in regards to cases?

• 5. Re: Tweaking components - z97 build critique request
                  RjL190365 Level 4

gaijinboricua wrote:

Understood, thanks. I couldnt find the specs mentioning if it uses intel or marvell, but worse comes to worse I could add a RAID controller card.

Here's the problem: Socket LGA 1150 platforms have only 16 PCI-e 3.0 lanes available - and all of them are occupied by a single discrete GPU. If you attempt to add a hardware RAID controller card, the card would be forced to either steal up to eight PCI-e 3.0 lanes (which would then result in the graphics card PCI-e bandwidth reduced from x16 to x8) or use the PCI-e 2.0 lanes provided by the chipset (which would result in slower disk I/O performance than if PCI-e 3.0 is used). You would need a platform with much more than 16 available PCI-e 3.0 lanes (which would increase the cost significantly) in order to properly utilize a good RAID controller card (sorry, but cheap Silicon Image- or Marvell-based controllers are NOT true hardware RAID controllers).

In addition, if you do add a cheapo RAID controller card to such a limited platform, you'd get only the worst of both worlds.

And no matter what you do, you will never achieve good results converting VHS to even SD DVD, let alone HD Blu-ray: You see, standard VHS delivers an effective horizontal resolution of only 250 lines per picture height (versus about 500 lines per picture height for SD DVD and about 1000 lines per picture height for 1080i/p HD). Or put it this way, the effective overall resolution of standard VHS is only about 352x480 (versus 704x480 for digital SD and 1920x1080 for full HD). As such, your results in digitizing standard VHS will be fuzzy at best, wretched at worst. Nothing can change this.

• 6. Re: Tweaking components - z97 build critique request
                    gaijinboricua Level 1

Thanks, as for the convertion, worse comes to worse I could just digitize the tapes. I will still be handleling some editing on 1080p, this investing in the system wont be a waste.

I wonder if I should reconfigure this baby around a x79 chipset and the 6 core i7. I figure this would give me enough bandwidth to make the RAID 0 be more effective and use the components at their max.

• 7. Re: Tweaking components - z97 build critique request
                      Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I would suggest looking at an i7-4930K and the X79 motherboards where you have much much more growth room to give you a longer system lifetime.  Also I would forget your two disk RAID 0 and go with a smaller SSD which can give you much faster performance than two hard drives but smaller work space.  Your initial projects (VHS tapes) will not require much space and then archive the projects to mutiple single hard drives.  A single Samsung 850 Pro or equivalent is faster that a pair of the fastest hard drives.  The days of multiple hard drives for different functions in my opinion is over.

Otherwise you basic build is great.

• 8. Re: Tweaking components - z97 build critique request
                        gaijinboricua Level 1

Interesting, I guess i could go with ssd 128gb for OS and apps, 128GB for media cache and previews, 256GB for exports. No RAID.

I guess that by growth room, you mean that 6 cores would give me more performance, thus longer usage out of the system. I was toying with that idea, but wasnt sure. As the difference would be $400 with those changes, I think it sounds like a good idea considering I am looking at a 5-6 years life span.

I might import about 20 hours of vhs video, convert 1 hour segments at a time and backup to my NAS (and deleting that segment). Would 256GB be enough?