3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 8:21 AM by Todd_Kopriva

CC 2014 space preview not in realtime

johnsmith1989

Hello, I just recently purchased an 27-inch iMac, and installed the trails for CC 2014 fully updated and found that After Effects would not render in realtime when I pressed space. I would RAM preview it and it would be fine, but when I pressed space I was getting 20fps out of the 25 comp, even when it was fully rendered and cached. I am using the GPU settings, and have turn on/off the render multiple frames and that has not fixed the problem.

I have done compositions in 4k, 1080p, 720p and even created a 10 pixel x 10 pixel composition with only a single solid and it still only renders at 20fps when I press space. I have also created a composition with nothing in it at all at the aforementioned resolutions and when I press space I get 20fps not realtime. I have tried different preview methods (Full through to quarter) and fast draft, full and adaptive, and still getting the exact same problem.

Any help on this would be very grateful.

iMac Specs:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013)

Processor: 3.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory: 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 775M 2048 MB

• 1. Re: CC 2014 space preview not in realtime
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The space bar is not for doing Ram Previews. After Effects is NOT a video editor, it is a compositing and motion graphics app specifically designed to create shots or occasionally short sequences. That's all it is. It is very good at that job. Please take the time to go through some tutorials. From your question I see that you were expecting something like an editing app.

Basic Workflow

• 2. Re: CC 2014 space preview not in realtime
            johnsmith1989 Level 1

Hi Rick, thanks for your response.

I am aware that After Effects is not a video editor, I come from 10+ experience in Adobe products, at work I use iMacs and Macbooks all the time and have never had this problem when it comes to trying to render a simple solid or even nothing. What I'm saying is that now, on my new home iMac, if I try to render NOTHING through the basic preview, I'm getting frame drops, which is something I don't understand.

I'm getting frame drops on a composition that has already been ram previewed and cached, and at work I can press space and get full 25fps playback (of course, if I press space with unrendered footage it will framedrop as it renders it, then if I press space it is back to 25fps playback). I'm getting framedrops on a 4x4 composition with nothing in it, it's like the basic preview is capped at dropping frames no matter what, and it's very frustrating being used to realtime space previewing after the composition has been rendered.

• 3. Re: CC 2014 space preview not in realtime
              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

It's possible that the bottleneck is the transferring of frames to your rather large screen using the new operating system. I've seen reports of some of the new aesthetic features in the new Mac OS slowing down a lot of screen drawing operations---not just for After Effects. I'll look back through the posts that I've seen about this and see if I can make a more concrete recommendation.