2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 9:54 AM by cogerox1

LR catalog question

cogerox1

I recently plugged my Seagate GoFlex external drive (heretofor referred to as the "dead" drive) into a USB hub that apparenlty was damaged and now the drive will not power up. I've already reached out to an online photo community for assistance with recovery and have tried several methods to recover the drive to no avail. If you want, you can see that discussion here: http://www.uglyhedgehog.com/t-261115-1.html For now, I'm leaving that issue for a later date.

Fortunately, 80% - 90% of the original raw photos were backed up on other drives. I've copied those to a new Seagate external and have plugged it into both my Macbook and my iMac. When I open the catalog which corresponds with the photos that were on the "dead" drive, the folders are, of course, marked with a question mark, and I am prompted to locate the images manually. Here is my question:

Will the catalog retain all of the changes made to the original files as well as all of the iterations? I.e. if I saved photos both as psd and as tiff (having worked on them in photoshop CS6 and NIK software in conjuction with LR) will those changes have been saved along with changes made in LR? And, what is the best method for re-introducing my raw photos back into LR so that they are correctly affected by those alterations? And, to further complicate this question, I had just signed on to adobe's CC version of LR and PS previous to the "dead" drive's burn out. How is that going to affect the re-introduction of raw photos into LR and how they interact with the catalog? Thanks!!!

• 1. Re: LR catalog question
          dj_paige Level 9

Will the catalog retain all of the changes made to the original files as well as all of the iterations?

Yes, the catalog is where all of the edits and metadata are stored, so if you properly reconnect the photos or folders, everything will be there.

what is the best method for re-introducing my raw photos back into LR so that they are correctly affected by those alterations?

re-connect the folders or photos in Lightroom to the originals (or the equivalent backup)

And, to further complicate this question, I had just signed on to adobe's CC version of LR and PS previous to the "dead" drive's burn out.

The very complicated answer is that it has no effect whatsoever. Sorry, I can't make it any more complicated than that.

I am concerned that you haven't backed up 100% of your photos. I think you definitely ought to develop a method to do that in the future.

• 2. Re: LR catalog question
            cogerox1 Level 1

Thanks for your complicated response! Yes, I got lazy this summer and didn't back up my work - last time that's happening. I'm currently researching backup methods including Julienne Kost's blog on backup here: http://tv.adobe.com/watch/adobe-evangelists-julieanne-kost/lightroom-backup-strategies-5/

Any further advice is wholeheartedly welcome. I'll be following your advice to reconnect my photos and will update.