6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2014 10:51 AM by robacurrie2

Problem rendering closed caption video with PremierePro CC 2014

robacurrie2

I am on a Mac running Yosemite and using Premiere Pro CC 2014.  No matter how I try to render video with closed captioning (embedded or with a side car file in various formats) I cannot render a file that contains the closed captioning.  I have followed the tutorials, but cannot produce a file that has readable closed captioning either in the Quicktime player nor when I import the generated file back into Premiere Pro.

Any hidden tricks? Tips?  Help!

• 1. Re: Problem rendering closed caption video with PremierePro CC 2014
          Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

Please post two screenshots:

1. the PPRO UI showing the Captions panel, the Timeline (with the the captions clip selected and the track it's on expanded so the caption blocks are visible), the Program Monitor, and the Program Monitor's Caption Settings dialog open. Like this:

CaptionsDiagnosticScreenie.jpg

2. The Export Settings dialog with the Captions panel displayed.

• 2. Re: Problem rendering closed caption video with PremierePro CC 2014
            robacurrie2 Level 1

Here is the project screen shot:

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 1.35.02 PM.png

Here is the render screen:

Screen Shot 2014-12-05 at 1.35.35 PM.png

• 3. Re: Problem rendering closed caption video with PremierePro CC 2014

Running PPro CC2014.1 on OSX 10.10, I just reproduced your scenario as closely as possible, right down to the content of the two caption blocks and their timing. When I import an output clip encoded to QT ProRes into Premiere, the embedded captions are all present and accounted for, as evidenced by the Caption column in the Project panel and the captions being shown both in the Captions panel and the Source Monitor. You report that you do not see the captions when you import back into Premiere. How exactly are you checking for them?

QuickTime Player 10.4 is another matter: it shows captions if they're on CC1, but I have not been able to find a way to get it to show those on CC3, which is the channel your are on.

• 4. Re: Problem rendering closed caption video with PremierePro CC 2014
                robacurrie2 Level 1

Thanks, Mark.  First, a mea culpa - I confused myself by switching machines during the process of trying to get the captions to render.  On the machine in the screen shots, it turns out it has not been updated to Yosemite, and hence, is using Quicktime 10.3.  At the time I created the caption, the only service channel that appeared to be open was CC3.

Switched back to original Mac running Yosemite, and got the caption (on CC1) to show up in the Quicktime 10.4 player, using the "English CC" setting for subtitles, but when I imported the clip back into Premiere Pro CC 2014, there is no caption appearing.  I guess I don't have a problem if the caption will continue show up in Quicktime, but I don't understand why, now, it's not showing up when imported back into the program.

The process seems kind of squirrely.

• 5. Re: Problem rendering closed caption video with PremierePro CC 2014

One thing to check in Premiere Pro is whether the following option is enabled: Preferences>Media>Include Captions on Import.

Also, you have not specified how exactly you're checking for captions in Premiere. In my prior post, I noted 3 ways to check. Another is to add the clip to a sequence and check whether two video tracks show up--one with the video and the other with the captions. A gotcha in that case is that source patching has to be enabled for two video tracks.

• 6. Re: Problem rendering closed caption video with PremierePro CC 2014
                    robacurrie2 Level 1

Thanks for hanging in there.  Yep, turned on the Preference for Import with Caption and everything works.  Problem is solved.