4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 3:15 PM by Rick Gerard

Animation Curves?

Werlien Level 1

I have an animation of a car moving  from point A to B then B to C the are a few seconds between B then B in the timeline. When I scrub through the timeline the car moves forward then back to original position instead of staying in place for few second the position is supposed to be the same. I have tried several things but it still does this. How do I fix this.

• 2. Re: Animation Curves?
          Werlien Level 1

Yes that is the question

While waiting I deleted all animation and reset key frames and it fixed issue but, I would like to know if there is another way.

• 3. Re: Animation Curves?
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Click the link that I posted and read the FAQ entry and the resources that it points to.

• 4. Re: Animation Curves?
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The default interpolation for key framing motion is bezzier.  Usually this gives more pleasing results. Motion is distance and time. You get something moving between two points and there's a certain velocity in the middle. Then you interrupt that velocity with a keyframes (Stoplight) that stops the motion and you get the bounce. It makes perfect sense when you think about it. The velocity makes the object move past the stop point but the stop point has a fixed value so the object then backs up to where it should've stopped in the first place. That is what causes the annoying bounce. It's kind a like when grandpa (all grandpa's please pardon me) sees the red light but can't get stopped until he's part way through the intersection, then has to back up to wait for the light to turn green. Bezzier interpolation = slow reaction time, Linear interpolation = fast reaction time. Zoom in close to that keyframe and you can see the handles.

The solution is to convert the bezzier interpolation to linear. You can do that by selecting a motion path keyframe in the composition panel, then select the pen tool (G) and hold down the command/control key to bring up the convert vertex tool and click on the keyframe that has handles, Or you can right-click and go to keyframe interpolation adjust entry and exit speeds or convert the keyframe to linear.