8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 9:51 AM by ECBowen

2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro

westley Level 1

So its 2 years since the last post on Harm's thread about disk setups and a lot has changed.

Let's put all chat about CPU, Ram, GPU and motherboards aside I think we all know what we should be doing there. let's talk storage.

SSD is now  affordable enough to use in our computers and performance is very good. So if we go SSD how would you set up you disks for best performance.

• 1. Re: 2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro
          JFPhoton Level 3

...if you have the dough.....get an X99 mobo and place the i7 Haswell E  5960X CPU in it with 64GB memory for a start. Then,add an Nvidia 980 GeForce GPU.

With THAT out of the way.....get an M.2 Samsung  256GB X941 PCI E SSD for the "boot drive" containing ONLY Windows 8.1, programs, and Windows page file.....this $249 SSD will give 1GB/ sec read and 800MB/sec write speed.

Next, two Samsung 850 Pro SSDs in RAID 0 off the motherboard will give you over 1 GB/sec read and write.....3 of the same drives will give ` 1.5 GB/sec. read and write speed. After that, adding more drives to that raid only increases capacity, ( and risk), any additional speed increase would be marginal. However, $1,200 for only two Samsung  SSDs is quite expensive.. The slightly less performing Crucial M550s would drop the cost to $900 for two 1 TB SSDs.

Eric of ADK computers and a regular on this forum states that The Samsung Pro series and the Crucial M550 series are the ONLY SSDs he recommends, as their quality stays uniform...they make their own chips....PLUS, the have shown the best performance with video.

• 2. Re: 2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Crucial M550 drives have been replaced by the Micron M600 series. Micron moved this series from the Crucial retail Division to the Micron OEM division. You want the M600 drives. They have 4 times the endurance rating if you plan on getting Micron/Crucial drives.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: 2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro
              John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What I did with 4xSSD is in reply #6 for my hardware list in https://forums.adobe.com/message/6536849

I do not use RAID because I do not edit 4k or similar video

• 4. Re: 2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

It all depends on what you want to do.  What media, how many cameras, how exotic is your editing?

I just learned a lesson in performance.  As many know I am now hooked on setting in my comfortable chair and editing three camera videos on my laptop (not multicamera mode)..  I had everything worked out and was using my media and projects on a very high speed USB 3 flash drive (180 MB/s).  Everything was going great so I bought some more of these USB 3 Flash drives and found that this new device had only 2/3's the read speed of the original ones.  Now actually forum member Randall brought that to my attention, but with one of the new 120 MB/s Flash Drives I am having problems with the computer not keeping up with me.  It is interesting when I notice problems with this slower device I can look over at the little activity light flashing.  If I wait awhile when it quits my screen starts working again.

So again what are you doing on your computer?  That is the only way to figure out what your storage needs are

I completely agree with the above that SSD's are the present.  I will only build into my new computer SSD's except for one or two slots for my archives on hard drives.  And for my editing purposes I will not be using RAID's unless 4K cameras become consumer items.  Actually when 4K cameras become consumer items we will have low cost consumer NVMe SSD's that will read at up to 3000 MB/s.  Of course there is another side to my computer work and that is Premiere Pro BenchMarking and testing.

With these speeds, gone are the days of one disk drive for each function the Premiere does

Eric, thanks for the heads up on Crucial->Micron  I found the M600 and it is indeed about $100 less expensive for the 1 TB than the Samsung 850's

• 5. Re: 2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro
                  westley Level 1

Really appreciate all the inout guys. My main question if we consider a fast SSD set of disks how would you choose to set them up for Premiere Pro? I work with DSLR H264 footage, in some projects have well over 2000 files and also there is usually a couple of 4 camera multi-cam sequences as well.

Based on all the previous work from Harm for standard HDD's my guesses are:

• 1x SSD for Windows, Programs and Pagefile
                  • 1x SSD for Media and Project
                  • 1x SSD for Scratch files e.g. media cache, render previews etc.
                  • 1x SSD for all export files e.g. render outputs from Premiere Pro and Media Encoder

All the SSD's considered for this are 500MB/s sequential read and write each on a single dedicated SATA 6GB/s channel as tested using AJA and CystalMark.

Whilst there is always the possibility of running SSD's in Raid 0 to increase performance not keen to do this due to other potential issues e.g. TRIM instruction not always available to the Raid SSD's and SSD management software doesn't always detect SSD's that are part of a Raid array.

So my question to all of the this is the disc setup above appropriate or could the data be organised across the SSD's better?

• 6. Re: 2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro
                    cc_merchant Level 4

Westley,

When Harm wrote the Tweakers Page - Disk Setup  article, his main consideration was 'spreading the load' during editing because of the half duplex nature of the SATA ports. At that moment however SSD's were still much more expensive than HDD's and still limited in capacity. 1 TB SSD's were very rare and prohibitively expensive at that moment. That has changed quite a bit now; prices have come down, capacity has gone up and endurance has improved markedly.

At this moment SSD's are very feasible for editing, even though a 1 TB SSD still is a factor 10 more expensive than a 1 TB HDD.

Your allocation of files across different volumes is completely in line with Harm's consideration of 'spreading the load' and looks very good to me.

The only problem you may encounter is the size of the Media and Project SSD. If your editing requirements are such that a 1 TB SSD is enough for your purposes, no problem, but if you need say 3-4 TB of storage, then you may need to reconsider your setup.

• 7. Re: 2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro
                      westley Level 1

Hi cc_merchant,

Thanks for the detailed response and for confirming my thinking about SSD usage for Premiere Pro.

You are correct the only one to watch for is the media and projects SSD from a size perspective. My rationale at the moment is that I will store the media and projects on one of my slower HDD's or raid array, let's call this offline media. Then I will copy it over to the media and projects SSD work on it from there. Then when the editing is complete renders output etc. offload it all back to the slower HDD;s (offline media) area.

Does that approach make sense, does it seem a sensible approach, anything else I should consider that I have overlooked?

I should also add the offline meda area is also externally backed up too.

• 8. Re: 2014/15 SSD disk setup for Premiere Pro
                        ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

There is a different operation to replace trim in raids. I forgot the term but it's specific to what the raid controllers support. Dont expect any of the onboard controllers to utilize it. The quick fix is wipe your SSD's periodically anyway. Trim is still not very efficient on media drives which  you write and delete constantly. The current firmware is better at it but still not often good enough to maintain the performance on the SSD without wiping it every couple months.

Eric

ADk