4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2014 11:48 AM by Qimeq

How to upgrade a Lightroom 4 catalog to LR5?

Qimeq

I have two separate Lightroom catalogs associated with my Mac laptop computer, both of which are stored on separate external hard drives.  One external hard drive catalog is operating on LR5 but the other external hard drive catalog is still operating on LR4.  The Lightroom 5 download went smoothly on the first LR catalog but I am unable to figure out how to apply the downloaded LR 5 onto the other LR4 catalog.  Can anyone explain how to upgrade the second LR4 catalog to LR5?

Not sure if this is important to note but I purchased LR5 on my laptop.  In addition to my laptop LR5 is also now working on my desktop computer.  Both computers are Macs. Only two computers are associated with Lightroom. 

• 1. Re: How to upgrade a Lightroom 4 catalog to LR5?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Just have Lightroom 5 open the other Lightroom 4 catalog. Lightroom will know that it is from a previous version and will offer to convert it to the new Lightroom 5 format. It will leave the original catalog intact. If the other catalog isn't listed in the "open recent" list then just use your system browser to go to your catalog folder and double-click on the other catalog. Then the conversion process will begin. Or you could go to File->Open in the Lightroom menu and browse to your catalog folder and choose the other catalog that way.

• 2. Re: How to upgrade a Lightroom 4 catalog to LR5?
            Qimeq Level 1

Thank you, JimHess for your help.  That was deceptively easy.  I spent two hours trying to find someone at Adobe to help this newbie (me) with this but you answered my question very well.  Greatly appreciated.

One more query, if you will.  Now that both my Lightroom catalogs have been upgraded to LR5, will I screw anything up if I delete the LR4 catalog?  I apologize for asking what may be such a dumb question but I don't want to lose valuable photos and memories.  Thanks again!

• 3. Re: How to upgrade a Lightroom 4 catalog to LR5?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you are sure that you are not going to need the Lightroom 4 catalogs anymore then they can be deleted. You might want to keep the last backup just in case it's needed some time. But other than that the catalogs really have no use unless for some reason you are retaining your Lightroom 4 installation.

• 4. Re: How to upgrade a Lightroom 4 catalog to LR5?
                Qimeq Level 1

Thank you for your very helpful replies.  I appreciate you taking the time to reply!