1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 5, 2014 6:05 PM by areohbee

How can I REPLACE original RAW files with JPG's and keep my 'Develop mode' edits?

lemmings19

An image describing my problem:

lightroom_export_copy_problem.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/hcqMYkv.jpg

(Lightroom 5)

'edits' = Edits made in develop mode.

'CR2' = My RAW image file format.

I have existing CR2's with edits for them saved in Lightroom.

I want to replace the CR2's with JPG's, and do nothing else. I want those JPG's to inherit the CR2's edits, but I DO NOT want the edits to be permanently applied to the image.

If I export the CR2's (which have edits) to JPG's, the edits will be permanently applied to them. I do not want this.

If I export the CR2's to JPG's without the edits, I have no way of getting the edits back and will have to redo the work if I use that photo again.

Any solutions? I've been trying for a while and have no idea how to do this.

Q: Why not keep the CR2's?

A: I am uploading these files to an online host (S3) as my primary storage method and uploading CR2's takes way too long with my internet speeds. Furthermore, online storage costs money.

Q: Why not shoot with JPGs instead of shooting raw?
      A: I do my initial edits with the raw files and then archive them as JPG's to save storage space. They won't be raw anymore if I apply future edits, but I still have the option of retouching them from the 'original' state and still have my old edits preserved.

• 1. Re: How can I REPLACE original RAW files with JPG's and keep my 'Develop mode' edits?
          areohbee Level 5

Probably the best thing for you to do is simply use lossy DNG format (e.g. export as, or convert to..): raw data is re-formatted with jpeg compression (full-rez or reduced-rez), but all raw settings apply.

If you insist on trying to have a true jpeg file with (mostly) raw settings, then:

The simplest way I can think of to do it without a script or plugin:

* Reset the raw photo (consider preserving things that don't translate well, like profile-based lens corrections and white balance).

* Export jpeg

* Un-reset the image (e.g. using edit history or pre-reset snapshot).

* Sync settings from raw to jpeg (note: omit settings that don't transfer well, or that were not reset..).

* Optionally: Delete raw

To automate/streamline would require a script or plugin.