1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 7, 2014 9:31 AM by RjL190365

Is this PC suitable for running AE?

taanparker Level 1

Hi all,

I am thinking of buying the Advent DT3415 Desktop to use whilst I train myself in After Effects. It's my first PC purchase and I must confess I'm a bit new. Would this set-up be suitable if I upgraded the RAM to 16GB? Also I don't think the graphics card is supported for the ray tracer but the general consensus seems to be that Cine 4D is replacing that anyway, in which case would the AMD do or should I invest in a nVidia?

The specs are -

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-3770 Processor (3.90 GHz, 8MB cache)

Operating system: Windows 8

Storage: 2TB HDD, 7200rpm

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (16GB maximum installable RAM)

Graphics card: AMD Radeon HD 7770

Graphics card memory: 1GB DDR5

Motherboard: Customised ECS H61H2-MV

Any/all help much appreciated!

Cheers

• 1. Re: Is this PC suitable for running AE?
          RjL190365 Level 4

When it comes to running Adter Effects, even 16GB of total system RAM might not be enough, especially if you're going to do much more than simply opening and closing the program. Unfortunately, the H61 chipset severely limits expansion and upgrade capability both at once. You see, the chipset does not support SATA 6.0 Gbps natively (SATA bandwidth is limited to only 3.0 Gbps, or a realistic maximum of only about 270 MB/s per device with no RAID support whatsoever and no official support for even AHCI (and thus you're stuck in legacy IDE mode for SATA devices)), and it can only support two ranks of memory per channel (versus four ranks per channel for higher-end chipsets). You really should have 32GB or more RAM installed if you're going to do anything much in AE. (With 16GB of RAM on such an expansion-limited motherboard/chipset, you might be restricted to doing practically nothing at all once you're in AE.) Unfortunately, the chipset will not even allow you to upgrade the amount of RAM to anywhere near 32GB, let alone 64GB, nor will it allow you to even overclock the weaker CPU beyond its stock defaults. And After Effects is especially taxing on both the CPU and RAM.

In other words, that PC is less than optimal for Premiere Pro - and very ill-suited to After Effects (at least as configured).