9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2014 12:39 PM by D Fosse

PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?

GitAmager1 Level 1

My normal workspace is Prophoto RGB. I, however, has a large number of tiff files (dias'es scanned with a Nikon scanner) with the color space sRGB. Up till recently I had no problems - all the files kept their embedded color profile when opened in PS. I Even have the  checkbox that tell PS to ask if there  is a mismatch checked on. PS does not ask used to do so). This has happened after my last update of PS from PS CC to PS CC 2014. I have deinstalled Ligthroom to see if synchronization migth cause this. That did not help.

Please help.

Birgitte

• 1. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?
          Level 5

Not following you here.

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

Note that this is boilerplate text.

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand,

such as your platform (Mac or Win),

exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop (not just "CS6", but something like CS6v.13.0.6) and of Bridge,

your settings in Photoshop > Preference > Performance

the type of file you were working on,

machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, total available HD space, video card specs, including total VRAM installed,

what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far,

what error message(s) you receive,

if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them,

if you're having printing issues, indicate the exact make and model of your printer, paper size, image dimensions in pixels (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high). if going through a RIP, specify that too.

etc.,

someone may be able to help you (not necessarily this poster, who is not a Windows user).

a screen shot of your settings or of the image could be very helpful too.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!

• 2. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?
            GitAmager1 Level 1

I am working with Tiffs from a Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED. I did not scan them myself.

Bridge shows them to have the Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3001 as color profile but below in Camera Data (Exif) it says "Exif color Space: Uncalibrated". I start working in ACR - which is set to open my files in PS as Prophoto RGBs, 16 bit - and continue to work in PS which is told to preserve embedded profiles and to ask when missmatch or missing profiles. The files open up in PS without any warnings and when saved are saved as Prophoto RGB's.

I have just tried the workflow on some files not coming from a scanner and known to me as having mismatch as to color profile (they are RGB's) and here PS reacts and says that the color profile differs from the working space. So maybe the files from the Nikon scanner are only given a color space when they are opened in PS? Strange then that Bridge should state that they are sRGB!

Unless I am advised otherwise, I plan to continue working as now and accept the files as Prophoto RGB's

Thanks fot your answer!

Git

• 3. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?
              GitAmager1 Level 1

Sorry, I meant sRGB's not RGB's as the color space of the non-scanned files!

• 4. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?
                D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

This is the normal behavior. The workflow settings in ACR (the blue link below the main image window) determines how the file opens.

The embedded profile isn't ignored, it's converted to ProPhoto by ACR. The colors in the file are maintained, just remapped into a larger color space. Perhaps unnecessary, but no harm done.

If it was simply ignored you'd have the equivalent of "assign profile" in Photoshop, and the result would be horribly oversaturated.

Photoshop knows nothing about this, it just receives ProPhoto files from ACR and resaves them as such.

• 5. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?

BTW there's no particular reason to open tiffs through ACR, unless you have, well, a particular reason to do so. You can open them directly into Photoshop.

Under Preferences > Camera Raw preferences, you have three options for tiff handling. Just set it to "disable tiff support". You can access this from Bridge or Photoshop prefs.

• 6. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?
                    GitAmager1 Level 1

Sorry, I do not hope that I have got something fundamentally wrong. I hope not! Otherwise  please correct me!

All my own files start out as Nefs and are from Bridge brougth through ACR and on in PS as Prophoto RGB 16 bit files.

Since I also work with files that are not my own Raw files as the scanned Tiffs (scans of my 50 years old slides  - scanned by somebody else on a  Nikon Super Coolscan 9000 ED), Tiffs from other people or even JPEGs, I have set PS to preserve embedded color spaces and to alert me if there isn't a match between my workspace (the Prophoto RGB) and an allready embedded color space. This because I did not think it advisable to change to Prophoto RGB from Adobe RGB orsRGB as the extra colors in Prophoto RGB never were present in the Adobe RGB or sRGB files and therefore could not be "conjured" up. I, however, got the impression that 16 bit would still be an advantage when editing.

I like to start any one-layered file in ACR before entering it into PS and do not want to change that. Up till now PS nicely warned me of color space mismatches but not with these scanned files. So my present worry is if the color space of the files from the Nikon scan may be changed from a smaller to a larger space (which would not be a good idea, or?) when going into PS.  I speak only of files that enter PS from ACR with  ACR workflow settings of Prophoto RGB 16 bit and with the color settings of PS as described above.

As I wrote earlier today, I am beginning to think that these files do not have a color space assigned until they get into my software but I do not know enough of the Nikon Scanner to be sure. If so everything is OK and PS functions perfectly.

As written above Bridge shows the scanned Tiffs  to have the Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3001 as color profile but below in Camera Data (Exif) it says "Exif color Space: Uncalibrated".

Does anybody know if these files in realty does have an embedded color Space before entering the software outside of the scanner?

I hope my English is understandable! Please forgive the 73 year old grandmother if she has got it all wrong!

Git

• 7. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?

One advantage of opening through ACR is that all edits and changes done in ACR are saved as metadata instructions, which means that the original file itself is never modified. You can always go back to the original state simply by resetting the file, which erases the metadata. This is known as non-destructive editing.

If you want the files to open as sRGB, set that in the ACR workflow settings. Then you will get the mismatch warning. The reason you're not getting it now is that ACR sends ProPhoto files to Photoshop.

That ACR overrides Photoshop's color management this way may seem a bit counter-intuititive. But ACR wasn't made to deal with tiffs, it was made to process raw files. But tiff and jpeg support is a nice bonus that can be very useful in some circumstances.

In any case, your originals are not modified. They still have the sRGB profile embedded, and that's what they will open as if you open them directly into Photoshop.

IOW, don't worry

(edited for clarity)

• 8. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?
                        GitAmager1 Level 1

Any other file with other color profiles than Prophoto RGB embedded  (i.e. not the Nikon scan files) that are sent through this way will elicit a color mismatch warning - I have tried with many files to-day. I still do not think the scan files have a profile before they go from bridge to ACR to PS. Even if Bridge says they are Nikon sRGB 4.0.0.3001.

I have stopped worrying but would like to know why these Nikon Scan files behaves as they do - differing from other Tiffs and Jpegs getting the same "treatment". But thank you for spending time helping me.

Git

• 9. Re: PS CC 2014 stopped to respect the setting to preserve embedded color profile, why?

Any file opened through ACR will open in the color space set there, regardless of the embedded profile. That's just the way ACR works.

If there is no embedded profile, ACR will assign sRGB and convert as the workflow settings dictate.

In any case, a "Nikon sRGB 4.0" profile is a non-standard profile, not available in ACR (nor anywhere else). ACR uses the standard sRGB varitey, which is called sRGB IEC61966-2.1. They're probably not very different, but all the same I'd convert the files to the standard variety.