1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 6, 2014 10:56 PM by station_two

Photoshop freezing when selecting brush tool

Janie_V

Hi,

I'm hoping I can get some help or answers here, I've tried tech support but they don't seem to be familiar with Photoshop and I've been unable to reach anyone in the US.

Photoshop was freezing every time I selected the brush tool (maybe 20-30 seconds).  I spoke to tech support several times and I followed all of their requests.

So far I've installed a second version of Creative Cloud and ran all the updates, re-installed Photoshop, and deleted all of my custom settings and shortcuts.

Now, Photoshop freezes for minutes at a time or outright crashes when I select the brush tool.  My biggest issue is files that I have open do not revert to the most recent save and the history is cleared so I'm now losing work.

Needles to say I've lost countless hours of work due to this ongoing issue.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Jane

• 1. Re: Photoshop freezing when selecting brush tool
          Level 5

Due to the current unavailability of clairvoyants and mind-readers in the forum, we respectfully request you supply sensible, complete details.

BOILERPLATE TEXT:

Note that this is boilerplate text.

If you give complete and detailed information about your setup and the issue at hand,

such as your platform (Mac or Win),

exact versions of your OS, of Photoshop (not just "CS6", but something like CS6v.13.0.6) and of Bridge,

your settings in Photoshop > Preference > Performance

the type of file you were working on,

machine specs, such as total installed RAM, scratch file HDs, total available HD space, video card specs, including total VRAM installed,

what troubleshooting steps you have taken so far,

what error message(s) you receive,

if having issues opening raw files also the exact camera make and model that generated them,

if you're having printing issues, indicate the exact make and model of your printer, paper size, image dimensions in pixels (so many pixels wide by so many pixels high). if going through a RIP, specify that too.

etc.,

someone may be able to help you (not necessarily this poster, who is not a Windows user).

a screen shot of your settings or of the image could be very helpful too.

Please read this FAQ for advice on how to ask your questions correctly for quicker and better answers:

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/419981?tstart=0

Thanks!