4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 3:11 AM by dummergold

Where Do My Imports Go?

DJ_Premiere Level 1

Hello,

Whenever I try to import video via the Media Browser, it seems it has no system to choose the destination of where these imports go in your Project panel...

Is there a way to choose this? I have tried selecting the folder I wish for these clips to go to before I import them but it seems that doesn't work either.

Thanks

M

• 1. Re: Where Do My Imports Go?
          dummergold Level 4

I don't know about importing through the media browser. But I thought if you were in the Project panel, you could import into your selected bin (folder).

So why not try importing from the project panel instead? In the project panel a double click gives you the Import browser.

• 2. Re: Where Do My Imports Go?
            shooternz Level 6

Create a New Bin called "Rushes" or Footage " or something.

I create Bins for  Audio, Rushes, Graphics, Project Files, AEFX Files etc...

Its about project management so keep it tidy and intuitive.

• 3. Re: Where Do My Imports Go?
              R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You're starting with an invalid assumption. "Importing" into PrPro does NOT move the files anywhere ... it simply links to them where and as they are in your computer to that project's project settings. Nothing else. Then they appear in the Project Panel for you to work with them.

You can set up "bins" in the project panel, it's good to do so ... but please note, you are NOT changing where they are on-disc, nor creating ANY "real" on-disc folders, ONLY a way of grouping things within PrPro's Project Manager.

This all puzzled me massively at first.

So ... for best computer file management, set up your disc-based folder tree for easiest use & backups and all. Copy to and move stuff with your OS file-handling program. Within PrPro, use bins to re-group parts of your media & other assets for easiest work within PrPro.

Neil

• 4. Re: Where Do My Imports Go?
                dummergold Level 4

dummergold wrote:

I don't know about importing through the media browser. But I thought if you were in the Project panel, you could import into your selected bin (folder).

So why not try importing from the project panel instead? In the project panel a double click gives you the Import browser.

I now see the importance of importing through the Media Browser. It is very important to import certain files through the media browser.

I now import dng sequences through the Media Browser and might as well import everything through there because it made everything work so much better.