19 Replies Latest reply on Dec 12, 2014 2:47 PM by A.T. Romano

Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.

Phantomkeeper

I am using Elements 12 and trying to save avchd files to dvd.

I have a 8 minute clip with a menu that will save and play but when I try to save 3 clips ( edited from many) I get a fatal error or Elements 12 has stopped working. I have reduced the size of th eclips so it fits on a DVD.

Does any one have any suggestions?

Also can I burn AVCHD onto a blueray disk to play on PS3?

• 1. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Phantomkeeper

Premiere Elements 12/12.1 does not offer a burn to AVCHD format on a Blu-ray disc. It does offer burn to AVCHD format on a DVD disc (either standard or double layer single sided). I suppose you could

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

burn to folder - Folder (4.7 GB) or Folder (8.5 GB)

and the take the BDMV Folder from that saved folder to Blu-ray disc using a program such as ImgBurn.

Then determine if that will play back on your PS3.

When you are in the workflow that fails, what does the burn dialog Quality area show for Space Required and Bitrate with and without

a check mark next to the "Fit Content to Available Space" option? What computer operating system is your Premiere Elements 12 running on?

How would you describe your computer resources? Have you updated 12 to 12.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Update? If not, please

do so.

Please review and consider and then let us know the outcome.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
            Phantomkeeper Level 1

I have now tried with just two files so the space is 3.35Mb, 15.74Mbs.

I am running on Windows 7.

The drive has 579GB free

I tired saving just one 10 minute video to a folder and Elements closed down at 98%.

The 25 minute movie consisting of 2 AVCHD files will not save to a folder or DVD.

One 10 minute movie saved on the DVD but would not save to a folder.

I have installed the latest update.

I do not have a blue ray burner but the AVCHD files burnt at DVD quality is not very good but is 1 hr 15min. If I only use a DVD for AVCHD for good quality the most I will fit is 30 minutes per DVD if I get it working.  Do you have any suggestions on how to burn the files and keep the quality?

• 3. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phantomkeeper

I received an Inbox Email Notification of a post that you made to your thread, but I do not see that post in your thread yet.

In the Inbox message, you said that the burn dialog Quality Area showed Space Required 4.3 GB and Bitrate 15.47 Mbps.

That appears to be a standard DVD disc that you are using. Have you tried to use a double layer side sided disc instead?

Keep in mind - the DVD disc with label 4.7 GB/120 minutes is in reality 4.38 GB; the DVD disc with the label 8.5 GB/240 minutes is

in reality 7.95 GB. The later is the double layer single sided disc that I mentioned for use.

But, putting aside the above, there is the serious situation where you cannot burn the Timeline content to folder. This draws us

to Timeline content construction. What is the format of what is on the Timeline? Does the project have menus? If menus...

a. what Timeline markers and are they spaced so that one is not sitting on another?

b. in the disc menu section, have any of the buttons been moved so that they have overlapping areas (red frame like)?

Consider putting some jpg photos on the Timeline and doing a burn to folder of them with the Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD burn

to Folder (4.7 GB). Does not go to completion?

Please consider and then let us know the results.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Phantomkeeper

I just saw your latest post after I had posted mine.

I would try the mini test run with the jpg photos in a burn to folder AVCHD as described and then we can decide what next.

Also please include the workflow details asked about.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                  Phantomkeeper Level 1

I have not tried a double layer disk. Will these burn in any DVD burner or do you need a special one?

The timeline has no red boxes and I did not move any.

There are only the start and five scene markers. They are not on top of each other. The closest is 3.5 minutes apart.

The jpeg photos saved as AVCHD to a 4.7GB folder without a problem.

• 6. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Phantomkeeper

Thanks for the reply.

Positive news about the jpeg photos mini test run burn to folder (AVCHD).

Most burner and TV DVD players can use DVD double layer single sided discs.

Rather than invest in DVD double layer single sided discs now, determine if you can

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

burn to: Folder (8.5 GB).

If you can get that to work with your regular Timeline content, then the double layer single sided disc purchase

would be justified.

But, you should have been able to do the burn to folder with the regular DVD if all you had was

I have now tried with just two files so the space is 3.35Mb, 15.74Mbs.

So, also, please go back and explore the expanded Timeline content, looking for leftovers and debris on the Timeline - or

any other irregularities in the Timeline content build.

We will be watching for your progress.

Thanks for the follow ups. Appreciated.

ATR

• 7. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                      Phantomkeeper Level 1

I was able to save a 1.57GB, 15.74 Mbps, 12 minute video to a 4.7GB folder with a menu.

I created a new project and tried two clips which was 3.34GB, 15.74Mbps, 25 minute video to a 4.7GB folder with a menu and 'Elements stopped working' at 98% compiling media.

Virus and auto save are off.

• 8. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                        Phantomkeeper Level 1

I note I have taken an hour of video footage clips and edited down it to a 15 minute video. I have 14 of these 15 minute  files which are 1.3GB to 2.6GB in size. These did have markers but I just saved the AVCHD to computer folder.

I have then put these into a new project with a menu and scene markers so the timeline is simple with only one video/audio track and 5 scene markers at the moment for the 2 files I am trying to save.

• 9. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                          Phantomkeeper Level 1

I tried 2 files again which is 25 minutes 3.34GB and it would not save to a 4.7 or a 8.5GB folder. It came up with a fatal error.

• 10. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                            Phantomkeeper Level 1

I have been able to burn a DVD with another 15 minute file and another with 2 files (3.35GB).

I tried to do another with 2 files at 3.8GB and it came up with Element has stopped working again.

A few times it has come up with Organiser is busy while I was betting ready to burn the files.

• 11. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phantomkeeper

Thanks for the replies and the details of your troubleshooting.

If you are not doing this already, please let us explore the following....

Let us designate each file by name, number, or letter

1. Go back to the Timeline where

I was able to save a 1.57GB, 15.74 Mbps, 12 minute video to a 4.7GB folder with a menu.

Let us call this file A. Duplicate entire Timeline content

(Select All, followed by copy paste at the end of the original on Timeline)

Will that burn to Folder (4.7 GB) for AVCHD choice in Publish+Share?

If so, then add another File A to this Timeline.

Will that burn to Folder (8.5 GB) for AVCHD choice in Publish+Share?

What I am trying to get at is the possibility of some Timeline corrupt files that may be

going into the burn to folder process. From what you wrote, I cannot tell if you are using

same file and repeats of its or adding different files to the Timeline as you add to define the limits.

Looking forward to your results.

Thanks again for the follow ups.

ATR

Add On...Have you confirmed that your Windows 7 is 32 or 64 bit? I have been assuming 64 bit.

• 12. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                                Phantomkeeper Level 1

It is Windows 64 bit service pack 1

The CPU is Intel(r) Core(TM) i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz with a NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 video card.

When I start up lately I often get 'Failed to perform the database operation as the Organizer database is busy. Try again later'. The program then starts.

File #1: 1.54GB saves to 4.7GB folder and DVD.

File #2: 1.76GB does not save to folder or DVD. This is the biggest file at 2.51GB. ( Fatal error or Element has stopped working)

File #1 and #2: does not save to a 4.7GB or a 8.5GB folder or DVD. ( Fatal error or Element has stopped working)

File #1, #2 and #3: does not save to folder or DVD. ( Fatal error or Element has stopped working)

File #4: saved to 4.7GB folder. I have not tried DVD.

File #5 and #6: 3.35GB saved to 4.7GB folder.I have not tried DVD.

File #5, #6 and #7: 3.55GB saved to DVD. I have not tried a folder

File #8 and #9: 3.8GB did not save to DVD. I have not tried a folder ( fatal error)

I have tired with and without menus and it does not seem to mater.

I was thinking the same thing that file #2 was corrupt but now #8 & #9 did not save I am not so sure.

I will try adding the same file #1 repeatedly to see if it will save a larger file  after work.

• 13. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Phantomkeeper

Thanks for the update and staying with the troubleshooting.

Where are the source files for your Timeline saved on the computer hard drive, all same place? Are you using them from an Elements Organizer album?

We will be watching for your progress whenever your schedule permits re-posting.

ATR

• 14. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                                    Phantomkeeper Level 1

The source files and .prel files are in different folders on the same drive.

I am saving the BDMV folders to a different drive.

I have now also tried:

File #8, #9, #10 5.45GB saved to a 8.5GB folder.

File #11, #12, #13 and #14 4.65GB saved to a 8.5GB folder.

File #1, #2, #3 and #4 5.85GB did not save to a 8.5GB folder. (fatal error)

File #3, #4, #5, #6 and #7 6.04GB did not save to a 8.5GB folder. (at 98% in compiling media Elements stopped working error message)

File #3 1.35GB saved to  4.7GB folder

File #2 1.65GB did not save to a 4.7GB folder. (at 3% burn after compiling got a fatal error)

I will try recreating file #2 as it is the only one that has never saved. I will then try to save it to a 4.7GB and 8.5GB folder.

I can't think why #5,6 & 7 will burn to a dvd but 3,4,5,6&7 will not burn to a 8.5GB folder given that #3 and #4 will save to folders individually. I will try adding file #1 multiple times to close to 7.95GB to see if it saves to a 8.5GB file.

I read in Imgburn you need the BDMV and the certificate folder. Do you know how to produce the certificate folder as elements is only producing the BDMV folder.

Do you burn only one BDMV folder per disk?

Do you know if the blue ray quality is noticeably worse than the AVCHD on a DVD? The DVD is poor compared to the AVCHD quality.

• 15. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                                      Phantomkeeper Level 1

I resaved file #2 as an avchd file. The first time it had an error despite having no issues when I originally saved it ( I saved it a few times after an adjustment)

I tried to save it again and it worked. It is a 1.76GB file.

It will still not save to a 4.7GB or 8.5GB folder. I also tried 'fit to file' on a 4.7GB folder.

Do you have any suggestions?

• 16. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                                        Phantomkeeper Level 1

Should I have 'scale to frame size ' ticked or should I change any field options ( it is on no deinterlace)?

Are there key frame or an auto analysis I can do on the timeline that would help?

• 17. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Phantomkeeper

Sorry for the delayed reply. But have been thinking about the issues.

Although Premiere Elements Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD burn to Folder (4.7 or 8.5 GB) will produce only the BDMV but not the CERTIFICATE Folder,

do not worry about that. When you take the BDMV from the Premiere Elements saved Folder into ImgBurn for the burn to DVD disc, ImgBurn will generate a Certificate Folder to go along with the BDMV on the DVD disc.

I am using ImgBurn 2.5.7.0.

Under Tools Menu/ find Settings.

Under Settings, click on Build, and then Page 2.

On Page 2, there should be the option Create CERTIFICATE Folder for you to place a check mark.

As for File 2 that has consistent problem being taken to Publish+Share/Disc/AVCHD burn to Folder (4.7 GB)....

Can you detect any differences between it and the files that are going through the burn to Folder process successfully?

Two possibilities:

a. Take the file and export it to H.264.mp4 in Movie Maker 2012. And, then import that h.264.mp4 into Premiere Elements project

and determine if it now will process in the AVCHD burn to folder.

or

b. Take the file and process it through HandBrake to produce a H.264.mp4 that can be imported into the Premiere Elements project.

https://handbrake.fr/

Right now I am favoring Movie Maker 2012 for the task.

I am not seeing any benefit in disabling Default Scale to Frame Size or applying Field Options.

Please check out the above. We will be watching for your progress. Your follow ups are appreciated.

ATR

• 18. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                                            Phantomkeeper Level 1

Finally success. Before I got your last post it appeared file #2 was the issue. I kept halving the clip until I was down to a 30 sec segment because each time one have would save and one half would not. The last time I split it both saved. I redid that segment any way. All it had was a pastel  sketch effect and an inserted video. I also made the transitions all dissolve. When I resaved file #2 it it all worked.

The second group of files (7.31GB) saved to a 8.5GB folder but not to a double layer DVD. I shortened it to 6.3GB and it saved to DVD.

Thank you so much for your help.

• 19. Re: Elements 12 crashing when trying to save avchd files to dvd.
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Phantomkeeper

That sounded so great "Finally success". Congratulations on a task well done and for staying with the troubleshooting.

Best wishes as your move forward with your video projects.

ATR