Couldn't help but notice these are AVCHD files you mention as to import. I'd bet anything there's the ... rub?
When handling AVCHD ... you have to be very careful that the ORIGINAL folder structure off the memory card is uploaded to a computer's internal drive or Thunderbolt/eSATA external drive AS IS. Navigate to that folder in the Media Panel and then "Import" files, then work them from the Project panel. Those files have separate audio and video bits, and to top it off, the cameras using this codec/wrapper cut the video/audio tracks into moderately short bits within each particular "shot" from the camera, and the stuff has to be re-joined for playback/editing by the program reading the data file and then joining bits & pieces accordingly. PrPro is pretty picky about making sure it REALLY knows which goes with which, so if it has any doubt it gives you that warning.
And don't say "but they play in X" because that don't matter scratch. Really. What matters is how PrPro sees them or not. They have to be imported properly -> for PrPro<- , AND PrPro MUST "see" that drive as "internal" for the most part or you will have issues. Any change it "sees" in drive numbers, folder locations, anything ... and it just refuses to play with the stuff. Do that all "righteously" and all is well.
Hi Neil. You make a good point about the AVCHD files, although I actually am importing them properly. I'm always careful to copy the entire folder structure, and I don't have problems with these same files on other machines that are running Premiere CC 2014.
I mentioned the AVCHD issue mainly because I'm assuming it's one of several symptoms of a larger issue. The main project I'm having trouble with doesn't have any AVCHD and consists entirely of .MOV footage shot on a DSLR.
As to that project ... probably I'd suggest that you create a new project, and one by one move pieces into it. Sounds like the project file or one of the pieces is "corrupted" as far as PrPro is concerned, and this method allows for either getting past that project file or on one-by-one inclusion into a new project, finding which bit PrPro is now "puking" on, to use a technical term.
Dang irritating I know ...
Well, it took a long time, but I eventually got it working properly. All of the presets and codecs show up, I can import AVCHD files properly with audio, and the project I couldn't open before now opens fine, so it turned out not to be a corrupt project. It looks like the problem was that the cleaner script didn't actually clean everything it should have, and I had to do it all manually.
I uninstalled all of the Adobe Creative Cloud software, rebooted, ran the CC Cleanup script, and rebooted again.
Then I uninstalled Flash and ALL other Adobe software I had on my machine.
Then I used the Find Any File app to find every reference on my Mac to any file with "adobe" in the name--including system files--and deleted them and emptied the trash.
The only Adobe things I left on my machine were the Adobe RGB color profile and any Adobe fonts I had.
Empty the trash again, reboot again.
Then I used the CC installer to install Premiere and only Premiere (I didn't even install Adobe Media Encoder) because I didn't want to go through all that download time only to have it fail on me again.
And at long last it worked. Then I went back and installed Media Encoder, which didn't seem to break anything, so I went back and installed the other CC software I wanted on my machine, and things are working at last.
The "cleaner" script leaves a LOT of Creative Cloud-related files on your machine, which, in my opinion, means it's not a very effective "cleaner." It seems to want to leave a lot of preference files and other files whose purpose I don't know (but I deleted them anyway). There should at least be a checkbox somewhere on the cleaner that says "wipe absolutely everything related to Adobe off of my machine".
Thanks again for your suggestions, Neil.
I keep saying that though the instructions state use the system to uninstall, I didn't get proper action until I used the CC Cleaner app to do EVERYTHING ... incuding removing the program itself. Doing it Adobe's way didn't work for me. But anyway glad you're up and running.