9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2015 8:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue

Pat Mck

Whenever I make a slide show using Premiere Elements 11, it significantly reduces the resolution of my pictures.  How do I fix this?

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
          A.T. Romano Level 7

PatMcKechnie

Where are you creating this slideshow - in the Premiere Elements 11 Editor workspace or in the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor?

No matter how great the resolution of the photos that go into a slideshow, the end product will be governed by the specifications for end product format.

1. How are you outputting your slideshows

• as a file saved to the computer hard drive
          • burn to disc DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc
          • burn to disc AVCHD format on DVD disc
          • burn to disc Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc?
          • other

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos going into the slideshow, how many photos, and what are your export goals for viewing this

slideshow?

We will be watching for your details.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
            Pat Mck Level 1

Thanks for your help.

I create the entire slideshow within Premiere Elements 11.  I create a new project, import my pictures, select the pictures, create a slide show, save the project, render the project, and export the project to a DVD.

1.  I typically output them as file saved to computer hard drive, burn to disc DVD-Video on DVD disc, and/or burn to disc Blu-Ray disc format on Blu-Ray disc.

2,1  Typical pixel dimensions of photos going into the slide show are 3888 x 2592 landscape.

2.2  There will typically be a couple of hundred photos in the slide show.

2.3  My export goals are to have the slides at least as resolute and the DVD/Blu-Ray formats so they do not look pixelated on my HD TV, or on my computer.

Thanks,

Pat

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Pat

A workflow for you to explore....

Premiere Elements 11 presumed on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit in a NTSC setup

1. Batch crop/resize your photos to 1920 x 1080 16:9

2. Open Premiere Elements 11 its Expert workspace

Go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings

In Change Settings, set the project preset to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

In the new project dialog that you see immediately before closing out of that area, make sure to have a check

mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project".

3. Back in the Expert workspace, use Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets to import your 100

photos into the project. (You can arrange your photos in order in a folder and then import the folder into the

project. When your drag that folder from Project Assets to the Timeline, the folder disappears and you have

all your photos on the Timeline in order. In your naming of the files, you might want to consider 0001 to 0100.

4. When it comes to export...

For 856 x 480 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second (when the video is stretch for display after encoding)

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

For 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second - plays on Blu-ray or multimedia player, not DVD player

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD disc (this is going to be for DVD disc)

with preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

For 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second - plays on Blu-ray or multimedia player, not DVD player

Publish+Share

Disc

Blu-ray (this is going to be for Blu-ray disc)

with preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby

The Premiere Elements 11 project preset which is the same for all of the outputs, gives the sharpest end product

photos at the DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc level. Photo clarity should be the major perk of what is described above.

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
                Pat Mck Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your help.

I have tried the method you suggested, but the photos in the slideshow still have significantly less resolution than the original, or even the resized versions of the original image.

The program is clearly reducing the resolution of the photos.

Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Pat

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Pat

Let us recap to make sure that we are OK on the information for a Premiere Elements Slideshow.

1. You said that the pixel dimensions of your photos are 3888 x 2592 landscape.

You are not going to get a 3888 x 2592 slideshow from any Premiere Elements 11 burn to disc, be it DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, AVCHD format on DVD disc, or

Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc. AVCHD format on DVD disc and Blu-ray disc format on Blu-ray disc will give you the max resolution of 1920 x 1080. And, if you

do DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc the max resolution is much less.

2. As far as I have ever found, you cannot export your Timeline to a file 3888 x 2592 in version 11 in the expectation of putting that file on a disc that your player will play.

Versions 12 and 13 have project presets and export presets for 4K sizing of 3840 x 2160. You might want to look at the Premiere Elements 13 tryout to determine if you get the results that you want with that version. But there is still no burn to disc product with a resolution over 1920 x 1080. And, there are no menus for a file export which is saved to the computer hard drive.

3. If you use the Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor, there is an opportunity to create a PDF Slideshow with 3840 x 2160 photos (using a custom set). Never tried that.

See Elements Organizer 11 Slideshow Editor/Output choices/Save As A File/PDF File (pdf).

But the PDF Slideshow lacks the bells and whistles of the slideshow that you produce in the Premiere Elements Editor. The PDF slideshow does not support pan and zoom, videos, certain transitions, and I am not sure of the support for music.

Please review and verify and then we can discuss this further. Please point out if I am overlooking any important factors in what you want to produce in the way of a photo slideshow.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
                    Pat Mck Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for your quick responses and your time!

I am not looking to make a 3888 x 2592 slideshow.  I'll put it more simply.

My computer screen has a resolution of 1920 x 1080.

When I view the images (both the full 3888 x 2592 and the resized 1920 x 1080) using Windows Photo Viewer in full screen on my computer, they look pretty good and clear.

When I create a slideshow in Premiere Elements 11, render it, and play it in full screen mode within PE-11, the images are clearly pixelated.  And the result is the same when I burn it to DVD or Blue Ray.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pat

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Pat

Thanks for the reply and further details.

Have you tried the Premiere Elements DSLR project preset that I suggested and still get pixelated images in the discs end products?

You should be seeing good results with Blu-ray especially.

The previewing within Premiere Elements is not the greatest. And, worst case are the disc menu previews in the disc menu customization area of

the program.

But, when you say this problem applies to DVD or Blu-ray burn to disc that is another matter which should not be happening.

I have taken for granted that you are doing a photo slideshow rather than photo/video slideshow. Are these all photo slideshows?

Is your video card driver up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card?

Do you get these results on more than one DVD and/or Blu-ray player? What is your player - strictly DVD player, or Blu-ray player, or one of the

multi format players?

I will think about this some more and comment further with some troubleshooting strategy in the morning.

ATR

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
                        Pat Mck Level 1

AT,

I think I have figured it out.

In the end, I think I was hoping for better quality when exporting to a DVD.  But when playing that DVD (480) through my Blue Ray player on my 1080 HD TV, it just wasn't a good match.

But when I export it to a Blue Ray using your instructions, it looks great.  And I also figured out that when just saving a video file to my computer, I need to change it to 1920 x 1080.

Thanks for your help, time, and thoughts to help figure it out.

Pat

• 9. Re: Premiere Elements 11 Slide Show Resolution Issue
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Pat

Great news. And you did a great job putting all the information together to define your situation and decide what works or does not work best for you.

Any questions or need clarification, please ask. Exploration and experimentation are great learning tools. But, if we can help you expedite those processes,

never hesitate to let us know so that we can share more Premiere Elements information with you.

Best wishes as you move forward with your projects to be enjoyed by all.

ATR