3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2014 7:24 AM by kglad

I need advice on how to proceed with a huge library of flash as 2.0 swf files.

onboardacademics

I bought a huge library of K-8 content that was originally written for SMART Boards.  As such its highly interactive and was written in action script 2.0.   My library is now in the .swf files.

I am using Flash Professional cc.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to process these files so that I can eventually end up with AS3 files?

I am a beginner and I am having trouble importing the swf files with any luck only ending up with one key frame.

Thanks

• 1. Re: I need advice on how to proceed with a huge library of flash as 2.0 swf files.
          kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1.  it's not always easy to convert as2 to as3 (working properly) files.

2.  you can 'load' those as2 swfs into as3 swfs and they will work properly.

3.  if you want to edit those as2 flas, you'll need cs6 which you can install using your cc desktop app by clicking apps>filter&versions>previous versions>flash pro install>cs6

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: I need advice on how to proceed with a huge library of flash as 2.0 swf files.
            onboardacademics Level 1

Thank you!

If you have time for just a couple more questions.  The ultimate goal is have my new flash files in a version (as3) so they can be used as android, html5 and iOs products.

So would the steps be these?

Install cs6

Open SWF files that were created in as2

(I am assuming by doing this, all the assets will end up in the library which is currently not happening when I import the swf files into Flash CC)

So now I have the old swf files open in a version of flash that works in as2.

I understand that as2 is not fully convertible to as3.  But assuming I want to use the assets (graphics and audio) to recreate the animations in as3 can I then save the as2 file as as3 so it would then work with AIR?

Thanks again?

• 3. Re: I need advice on how to proceed with a huge library of flash as 2.0 swf files.
              kglad Adobe Community Professional & MVP

you need the fla files that were used to create the swf files, if you want to change the as2 swfs to as3 swfs.

if you don't have the fla files, you can try 'decompiling' the swf files to create fla files.  often that works well.  sometimes it fails miserably.  afaik, sothink's decompiler is the best.

if you just want the library assets and no code, you don't need flash pro cs6.  you can use flash pro cc.  it will open as2 fla files and preserve the library and on-stage assets.

1 person found this helpful