6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2014 2:49 PM by flixytime

Can I combine different sequences in premiere elements?

flixytime

Can I combine different sequences in premiere elements? If not what is the best way to save and re-import my sequences to a new project without losing image quality?

I have just started to use this program and made a number of different sequences as it seemed easier to work with but now realise that I don't seem to be able to combine them and am afraid that I will lose image quality if I export and re-import to a new sequence.

• 1. Re: Can I combine different sequences in premiere elements?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

flixytime

What version of Premiere Elements are you using and on what computer operating system is it running?

As you found out, you cannot import one project file into another in Premiere Elements (any version).

Typically, you export the Timeline of project 1 to a file compatible with the format of project 2, and then

you import that export into project 2 which has the appropriate project preset.

If you are working with Premiere Elements on Windows, you might consider ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements

for a copy/paste insert between project. (I have not tested ClipMate, a Windows Only software with Premiere Elements 13 yet).

Please see

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/05/pe-clipmate-copypaste-between-pe.html

Please review and consider.

If you have questions or need clarification, please ask. If you need help with settings for the task, please supply details of project

1 and 2 settings and properties of source media.

ATR

• 2. Re: Can I combine different sequences in premiere elements?
            flixytime Level 1

Hi ATR

Thank you for responding. I am using Elements 13 on Mac OS X 10.9.5, just learning but have a job to do.

When you say 'export the Timeline of project 1 to a file compatible with the format of project 2' can you be specific as to what you mean by format please? So far I have been exporting as Quicktime files (I am new to what are the best file types for this kind of thing!). Also, I do not know about project settings? The source media is from my camcorder AVCHD

Thanks

• 3. Re: Can I combine different sequences in premiere elements?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

flixytime

Thanks for the reply.

Project 1...if you have imported source media, 1080p (1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 progressive frames per second), use the project preset

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

I would export that Timeline content as

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080 p30

then I would take that export file (1920 x 1080p30 as the H.264.mp4) into

Project 2...

which is set for

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30 @29.97

and continue from there to the final destination (export).

The program is designed where the project preset is set automatically by the program based on the properties of the first file dragged to the Timeline.

Sometimes the program does it right. Sometimes not. When not, then you set the project preset manually. Please use the instructions for doing that

at the bottom of the following blog.

You can verify project settings under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and readings for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

If you do not know the properties of the source media, please tell us the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video, and we will try to figure out the video properties from that information.

Please review the above. If any questions, please ask. If any of my assumptions are not correct, please let me know, and I will modify my instructions accordingly.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Can I combine different sequences in premiere elements?
                flixytime Level 1

Thank you so much, that's really helpful....I can see how it all applies to my project albeit that its PAL and 25fps as I'm in the UK. I find it difficult to figure out what's what from a list of numbers and figures because of dyslexia and so to have it pointed out in this way makes all the difference, thanks again!

• 5. Re: Can I combine different sequences in premiere elements?
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

flixytime

Thanks for the reply.

I think that I mentioned the blog around setting the project preset manually, but forgot to include it in the reply. This is it

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

Please do not hesitate to ask if you have more questions on your workflow or need clarification.

Best wishes

ATR