4 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2007 9:41 AM by NeptuneTG

Updating part of a column

NeptuneTG
      I have a column in a SQL database which contains data (numbers separated by a pipe sign ex: 23|2|5) and I want to write something that will update the second number which in this case, 23|2|5, it would be 2. Can someone help me out on this?
        • 1. Re: Updating part of a column
          insuractive Level 3
          How about something like this:

1) Retrieve records using query
          2) Either replace the middle value using list functions:
          #ListFirst(myColumn, "|")#|#newValue#|#ListLast(myColumn, "|")#

or use regular expressions:
          #ReReplace(myColumn, "([0-9]*)[|]([0-9]*)[|]([0-9]*)", "/1|#myValue#|/3")#

3) Insert value back into database

Depending on your database, you may even be able to work your regular expression statement into your SQL.
          • 2. Re: Updating part of a column
            Dan Bracuk Level 5
            Normalize your database and then you can simply update the record you want.
            • 3. Re: Updating part of a column
              NeptuneTG Level 1
              I'm impressed. Thanks for the advice!
              • 4. Re: Updating part of a column
                NeptuneTG Level 1
                I finally acheived what I needed to but not by taking Dan's advice.

Thanks Dan for your advice, but what is one to do if they are in a situation where they are working with a vendors' database and do not have the luxury to normalize their database? ( which is where I have found myself)

Here is an example of the field i'm trying to update: LAYOUT=BOTTOM|70|30,TOP=,LEFT= 13|4|2|3|22,RIGHT=14|1|10]
                (My goal is to insert a |23 between the 13|4)

Solution:
                <cfquery name="Rs" datasource="FusionDox">
                SELECT *
                FROM dbo.FDOX_USERINFO
                </cfquery>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" " http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
                <html xmlns=" http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">

<head>
                <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1" />
                <title>Plug-Ins Update</title>
                <style type="text/css">
                <!--
                .style1 {color: #FF0000}
                -->
                </style>
                </head>

<body>
                <cfoutput query="Rs">
                <!--- finds the postion in the string--->
                <cfset variables.pos = FIND("LEFT=13|", rs.PluginSelections, 1)> <!---the 1 is the starting position--->

<!---once you found it load left side into myvar1 and will count 7 characters past the first position--->
                <cfset variables.myvar1 =#MID(rs.PluginSelections, 1, variables.pos + 7)#>

<!---once you found it load right side into myvar1 and will count 7 characters past the first position--->
                <cfset variables.myvar2 = #MID(rs.pluginselections, variables.pos + 8, LEN(rs.pluginselections) - variables.pos)#>

<!---once you have the left and the right counted apart then you just plug in the myvar3 variable--->

<cfset variables.myvar3 = variables.myvar1 & "23|" & variables.myvar2 >

#rs.pluginselections#  |   #variables.pos# <br />
                1: #variables.myvar1# <br />
                2: #variables.myvar2# <br />
                <b>3: #variables.myvar3#</b>
                <br />

<cfset variables.myvar4 = Replace(rs.pluginselections, "|||", "|", "ALL")>

<span class="style1"><strong>4: #myvar4#<br />
                </strong>
                <br />
                </span>
                <!---ONLY RUN THIS ONCE OR THE UPDATE WILL RUN THE UPDATE AGAIN--->
                <!---<cfquery name="Rs2" datasource="FusionDox">
                UPDATE FDOX_UserInfo
                set FDOX_UserInfo.PluginSelections = '#myvar3#'
                WHERE FDOX_UserInfo.userid = #rs.userid#
                </cfquery>--->
                </cfoutput>

</body>
                </html>