11 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2017 2:22 AM by Trevor.Dennis

where are my brushes stored

cyberwasp Level 2

Before CC I used to make a copy of my presets directory in order to save anything I made, "brush, action." Now ic CC2014 I can't find out where it stored a brush I just created. I found 2 locations, 1 in under programs/abode/photoshop cc 2104. The other is under users/steven/appdata/roaming/adobe/photshop cc 2014//presets. However my brush does not appear in either brush directory even though it is in photoshop.

Reason I'd like to find it is that the backup settings in photoshop never include any presets I've added. TIA

• 1. Re: where are my brushes stored
          Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Should be: Library/Application Support/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop CC/Presets/Brushes for Mac and C:\Users\<your name>\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC\Presets\Brushes for Win

• 2. Re: where are my brushes stored
            cyberwasp Level 2

That's what I thought but a brush I created this morning that shows up and works in photoshop is not in that directory. This is just to weird.

• 3. Re: where are my brushes stored
              davidc1815 Level 4

Do the brushes you are looking for appear in the Presets Manager?  If they do, can you not just re-save them to a location of your choice?

• 4. Re: where are my brushes stored
                cyberwasp Level 2

I can save an entire set. My point is when I used CS^ I could copy .abr brush files to and from the directory to keep them on an external drive. Now in CC they don't seem to be saved anywhere even though they show up in the brush tool in ps.  I know CC is supposed to save all your presets to the cloud but it does not save brushes you add or create. I've tested it.

• 5. Re: where are my brushes stored
                  davidc1815 Level 4

Using Preset Manager you can save single abr brushes or any sized group of them to any location you want.  I don't save the whole brush set when I save brushes (usually brush and tool presets) but groups - or sets - of brushes which allows me to fine tune the exact brushes I need for particular purposes.  If I have to reinstall PS, my saved brush and tool sets (abrs and tpls) can be easily reloaded on top or or instead of the default ones.  So saving in Preset Manager gives you more control over what is saved.

You can of course also save individual brushes using the Save Brushes in the fly-out menu and if you save on a separate drive that is another way to ensure they are safe.  But you can only save one brush at a time.  In Presets Manager, you can save any number of brushes you want.

Sorry if I have missed your point.

• 6. Re: where are my brushes stored
                    cyberwasp Level 2

Either my system is,"not of this earth," or we're speaking different languages. Over the past year I've collected a lot of brushes, after downloading them I dragged them to this directory:

C:\Users\Steven\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\presets\brushes, started PS and found them in the brushes list.

Now I recently created a few brushes which when I open PS CC 2014 show up in PS. However, Using windows explorer I cannot find them on my hard drive.

I tried saving it using the steps above for the preset manager but it only lets me save all of them, not just one. I even did a search of the entire hard drive and it's not there. Weird

• 7. Re: where are my brushes stored
                      davidc1815 Level 4

No, you can definitely save groups of brushes or tool presets in the Presets Manager.  Just highlight the brushes you want to save as a group (using the Shift key) and then click on Save Set and then define their desired location and name.

If you want to ensure that the saved single or group of brushes appear at the bottom of the brushes fly-out menu you must save it to the Appdata/roaming etc location.

• 8. Re: where are my brushes stored
                        u9iouiuljuiouj Level 1

It could be any of the following maybe:

C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Presets\Brushes

C:\Users\[myname]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Presets\Brushes

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2015\Presets\Brushes

Adobe, your input please? Too much speculation. I'm using the very latest 2015 version of Photoshop CC.

• 9. Re: where are my brushes stored
                          Chuck Uebele Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Creating a brush does not save it to the hard drive where you can copy and drag it elsewhere. You need to save it as a preset, either by itself or with a group of brushes. This is the same for patterns, actions, and many other features.

• 10. Re: where are my brushes stored
                            dr. rudolfk62388221

I had the same question and was, like you, not successful in finding the brushes. Yet after searching C:\users\your name\*.abr I found them in a location none of the above respondents mentioned. It's too weird to copy but you should find them with the search.

• 11. Re: where are my brushes stored
                              Trevor.Dennis Adobe Community Professional

David has outlined the correct process.  So echoing what he has told you.

Open Edit > Presets > Preset Manager

Select Brushes from the dropdown

Select the presets — they do not need to be consecutive in the panel

Save the set — I prefer to use the App Data location.  This will be retained after the next full version update.