9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 8:35 PM by xbytor2

Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing

Boulder man

It looks like Tom Ruark and Mike Shaw actually wrote the script.  I have been using this script over many versions and always rely on it.  Recently I started getting this message.  I have gone into Extension Manager and deleted the script, rebooted then reinstalled the script but that didn't resolve the issue.  Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
          JJMack Most Valuable Participant

Actually X wrote Image Processor Pro and he released a new version a short time ago to fix some problems and add some features. Image Processor Pro v3.0 Released  Also your screen capture has be down size so it unreadable.

Image Processor Pro v3.0 Released

// $Id: ImageProcessorNG.jsx,v 1.115 2014/10/09 19:11:29 anonymous Exp $

// Copyright: (c)2014, xbytor, Adobe Systems, Inc.

// 2011-03-21

// Written by xbytor@gmail.com

//

// 03/13/2012 10:30, tpr

// tpr, this needs a lot of work to get localized,

// talk to Alice about having magic numbers localize team can use

// vs talk to X about why auto layout failed and the need for a

// major re write to use auto layout

// c2007 Adobe Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.

// Produced and Directed by Dr. Brown ( a.k.a Russell Preston Brown )

// Written by Tom Ruark and Mike Shaw

// UI Design by Dr. Brown

//

Open source from Russell Brown web site

The Open Source code is now available for many of my script and panels

Because of new projects and a changing demand for my time, it will be necessary for me to move on to new projects at Adobe. For this reason I will no longer be able to support, or update many of my scripts and panels. Never fear! – I am releasing the source code for many of my programs and if you are a programmer then you can use this code to modify and change my scripts to meet your needs. If you are not a programmer then I recommend working with anyone on the list of programmers that I have supplied below. However! Let me make it clear that his code is not to be sold. This is an open and free source to be used for the good of humankind and Adobe Photoshop users around the world.

May the source be with you...

Recommended programmers:

Sandra Voelker:
          http://www.photoshopscripting.com

Trevor Morris:
          http://morris-photographics.com/photoshop/scripts/

Michael Hale
          mike@ps-scripts.com

Ross Huitt
          xbytor@gmail.com

German Programming Support

Matthias Alph
          dr.brown.scripts@gmail.com

• 2. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
            xbytor2 Level 4

The bug you are seeing is an extremely rare one. I saw it for a bit as did Dr. Brown and one other user. There was no way for us to reproduce it reliably. My recommendations to try are (in order):

• Upgrade to the new version of IPP.
            • Make sure that you've got the most recent CS6 rev (13.0.1).
            • Reset your preferences. Check the docs for how do this on startup.

Beyond this, there is not much I can suggest. This is ultimately a bug in the ScriptUI libraries which they may have fixed since I don't see it anymore and haven't received a bug report on this in a couple of years.

Let me know if/when you get this sorted out.

• 3. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
              Boulder man Level 1

Thanks for the info on the new release.  I also got a response from xbytor2 with some good suggestions I didn’t think of.  He said he and Russell have seen the bug before but it is a rare one and difficult to replicate.  I think I will clear out the preferences and install the new version.

Cheers,

Marvin Ross

Boulder, CO

• 4. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
                Boulder man Level 1

Well……. 

I followed the three steps as per your suggestions below.

I installed and double checked the placement of the xml, jsx files and Icon folder as well as the photoshop_ximage_processor_pro.jsx file. 

I have the current version of PS6

Last night I was able to bring up the Reset Presets dialog box with holding down the Ctrl/Alt/Shift keys (Win7) while booting PS6 and delete the preferences file.  Subsequent try’s, brought up a Windows User Account Control letting me know Photoshop was about to make some changes.  When I said yes to make the changes, PS6 booted and the option to delete the preferences never showed up.  So I went to: Users/[Username]/AppData/Roaming/Adobe/Adobe Photoshop /Adobe Photoshop  Settings and deleted the Adobe Photoshop X64 CS6 Prefs.psp file.

Then, in Bridge, I went to Edit/Preferences/Startup Scripts and unchecked Dr. Brown’s services.  I did not see Image Processor Pro listed here among the Startup Scripts.

Results:

Unable to run IPP Ver 3

I open Bridge, click on an image, go to Tools and do not see IPP Ver 3 where 2.3.1 was listed above the Photoshop option.  I then continue to Photoshop and the flyout menu does not list Image Processor Pro, only Image Processor.  I did click on it but it brought up the original Image Processor.  So I am unable to get the new IPP to run. 

I open PS6, go to Help/About Plug-In.  Image Processor Pro is listed there but it is Copyright 2012 indicating it could be the Russell version?

I open PS6 go to File/Scripts and IPP Ver3 is not there. 

Looking in the Extension Manager I do not see IPP Ver 3

I had the following thoughts:

1.      Reinstalling CS6 thinking I can get 2.3.1 running

2.    Go back a few weeks with system restore when the Doctors script was healthy.

3.     I have a laptop with PS6 I could use as a test bed and check how IPP Ver3 does on it.

But I’d like to get the Ver 3 running.  I have an engineering background so drilling to the cause is……Ok sometimes compulsive.

Any suggestions are certainly welcome.

Cheers, 

Marv

• 5. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
                  xbytor2 Level 4

Install/reinstall as needed on whatever computers you have access to. I was only seeing this happen on one machine but not on the three others that I tested it on.

• 6. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
                    Boulder man Level 1

I uninstall/reinstall and deleted preferences and totally the same result. 

I went to the CS6 locations for IPP Ver 3 and the correct files and the icon folder were still in their proper places. 

I didn’t see IPP-3 when I went to Tools in Bridge or CS6.  Where should I have access to it?  I assume Bridge/Tools and it would appear like 2.3.1?  Or in CS6…File/Scripts ….?

I reinstalled the Doctors 2.3.1 using extension manager and got the script alert message as before.

I also noticed that some preferences were still there like my workspace.

Is there a software tool to completely remove everything to insure a fresh start? 

Outside of a reformat of the HDD I am getting clueless

Thanks

m

• 7. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
                      xbytor2 Level 4

In Bridge, IPP3 is installed in the Tools->Photoshop submenu.

The installation instructions that come with IPP3 show where to put all of the files.

To uninstall, just delete the files that you installed.

It's not advisable to have  Doctors 2.3.1 and IPP3 installed at the same time.

You should be able to uninstall it via Configuration Manager. After you've

done this, you will need to re-install IPP3.

If you see the error once, you have to restart PS because of the underlying

ScriptUI bug.

I'll go back through my emails and see if I can come up with any more ideas.

• 8. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
                        Boulder man Level 1

Thanks for the help on this and I assume as a developer it is an interesting one.  I would be totally open to having you connect and take a look around if that would be beneficial. 

I sent a few screen shots from after the reinstall.

Cheers,

Marv

• 9. Re: Image Processor Pro 2.3.1 is crashing
                          xbytor2 Level 4

Thanks for the help on this and I assume as a developer it is an interesting one.

It was interesting up until the point I realized that the bug was in ScriptUI and I couldn't find a work-around.

I would be totally open to having you connect and take a look around if that would be beneficial.

That's really not necessary.

I sent a few screen shots from after the reinstall.

Make sure they go to xbytor@gmail.com.

One more thing you can do is run a VM and install CS6 in there and see if the problem occurs there.