6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2014 6:39 PM by river251

Premier estimates 331 hours to make my movie???

river251

I have a Dell Optiplex Core 2 Duo running at 3 Ghz. 16 gigs of memory, 2 TB 7200 RPM drive.

I have a series of 108 lectures, each ~20 minutes long, in .MP4 format, 15 - 20 megs each , that I want to turn into one movie.

I loaded them all into a sequence, and tried to export it as an MPEG2 movie. One of the DV formats, roughly 940 x 560 size, and I had to covert from 30 frames/sec to 29.7 frames/sec. Preview checked on.

331 hours is two weeks, if I don't crash.

Does one have to use a mainframe or a supercomputer to make a movie?

I recently bought a Mac Mini with an i7 quad core at 2.4 Ghz with a solid state drive and 16 gigs of memory. It is not yet set up. The Mac will be better but not that much better....

Thanks very much for any insight.

Jim

• 1. Re: Premier estimates 331 hours to make my movie???
          shooternz Level 6

108 lectures, each ~20 minutes long = 31 hours ..in one movie!!!!

I had to covert from 30 frames/sec to 29.7 frames/sec. ...why???

Preview checked on....why???

DV formats, roughly 940 x 560 - are you sure thats a DV format?

• 2. Re: Premier estimates 331 hours to make my movie???
            R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

If you've got EVERYTHING ... OS, programs, cache, pagefiles, media database, footage & exports on one drive ... yea, it can take a while. That's why if you go over to the Hardward Forum (link to the right side of the Overview page for this forum) and go to the Tweaker's Page mentioned there, you'll see mega information on how to split up the bits & pieces of the project to different drives for faster work.

Let's see ... that's 36 hours of timeline programs. You want to clip them together, convert frame size & rate, plus transcode. There's a bit of read/write going on here. That MacMini, even with only one drive would eat this alive as it's got that SSD ... but seriously, you need one if not 3 additional drives to speed this up significantly. One for OS/programs, one for pagefiles/media cache/previews & similar, one for project & footage. "Easiest" part of the process is actually the writing of the finished file, so do that over USB3 to an external drive without significant slow-downs.

Neil

• 3. Re: Premier estimates 331 hours to make my movie???
              river251 Level 1

Thanks for the reply shooternz. Yes, it seemed like a nice idea to turn the lectures for a one semester course into a single movie, that one could watch as one had time. Maybe I should divide it into parts.

I know nothing about this stuff but in my first research online I found the solution to a problem I was having, every five seconds or so the picture would "melt" then suddenly snap back to being OK, only to progressively "melt" for five seconds....I finally found a response to an identical question that said it was the frame rate mismatch between how it was recorded and how Premiere was handling it (30, 29.7). When I converted it with FormatFactory, as suggested, it fixed that problem.

Same with preview checkbox, I just read several posts that said this would speed things up. The 968x544 size is just the way the video came from my colleague, I don't know how it was filmed, but might be able to find out. I don't know what DV means, but I think HDV means a higher definition, so it seemed like that would be even slower so I chose some DV format. I don't understand the formats at all.

Anyway that's why on various points. Thanks.

Jim

• 4. Re: Premier estimates 331 hours to make my movie???
                river251 Level 1

Neil, thanks very much.

Well, seems I have a bit to learn. I will  hop over to the hardware forum and start learning.

You mention splitting things up among several drives. One can have two internal SSDs, and you can get an external case for a drive array, e.g., RAID, or whatever. I presume you can put all SSDs in it. So I could have, say, up to six 256G SSDs with the Mac Mini. Would that significantly speed up Premiere compared to one SSD in the Mac Mini, and the second HD and the array of HD all being 7200 RPM drives?

I also have in my lab a six year old 8-core Dell Precision 690 workstation, with 32 gigs of memory, and four 10,000 RPM SCSI drives. I could replace those four drives with SSDs, but with 32 G or ram don't know if it would speed up things. Would that be a better machine than the Mac Mini? Eight older cores, but they are Xeon server grade, vs. 2.4 Ghz i7 quad core with 16g ram.

Jim

• 5. Re: Premier estimates 331 hours to make my movie???
                  R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

As you first stated,  yes.

I wouldn't necessarily do it that way though. When splitting things up good speed say 2Tb drives tasked with one part work pretty good. Also there's an example on the tweakers page of using an SSD for system, another for cache, and everything else on a 4-5 disc array of 2Tb discs set for RAID 0. And naturally, other things like say documents and spreadsheets and such go live elsewhere ... 

I do suggest going over there and looking around. That older machine with more cores and lots of RAM and drive connections might not be so bad.

Neil

• 6. Re: Premier estimates 331 hours to make my movie???
                    river251 Level 1

Thanks kindly for the help Neil. I certainly will. First I have to lock my credit cards in the safe. :-)

Jim