5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2014 8:32 AM by ChrBo

Fast RAW Rendering - it can be done!

ChrBo Level 1

Have you seen the latest software "FastRawViewer" ? (www.fastrawviewer.com).

They are rendering several RAW images per second! - And in good quality also...

They are using "modern processors and video cards to process RAW images".

Very interesting. My question is: It was told to this forum, that it is not possible to improve speed with graphic cards for rendering RAWs in Lightroom... well it can be done! If this team is capable to improve rendering times so vastly it should be possible for Adobe also. Adobe has much, much more ressources and money than this small team!

Just to clarify: It is not my intentio to advertise this software. I haven't even bought it - yet. I love Lightroom and it is my main photographic software. I want it to improve. The biggest problem for me is rendering speed, and it will get worse with next generation cameras. We now have D800/D810, rumors say we will get 46 to 50 MP sensors in 2015.

My point is: It is absolutely possible to make RAW rendering much, much faster than what we have now in Lightroom. This software proves this in a big way. Severel RAW in a second compared to seconds for one RAW (Nikon D800)... come on Adobe and learn from this software/team!

To Adobe: Why are you not doing the same? - would make a LOT of LR users happy!

Thanks for hearing us...

Christoph

• 1. Re: Fast RAW Rendering - it can be done!
          dj_paige Level 9

To Adobe: Why are you not doing the same? - would make a LOT of LR users happy!

But we're not Adobe in this forum, we're just LR users.

And as much as I agree with you, that faster processing would make users happier, I'm 100% sure Adobe is working on improving the speed of its products.

• 2. Re: Fast RAW Rendering - it can be done!
            elie-d Level 4

FRV is a viewer. It is a very useful tool (as is its companion software Raw Digger), but it is not an editor. It can do a rudimentary conversion to RGB using Dave Coffin's DCRaw conversion engine (which is far from new, I have been familiar with it for more than a dozen years) and will do some basic tonal and WB adjustments to the RGB image, but cannot even save that image to disc - nor does it need to. Any comparison between it and a full Raw editing application, be it LR, ACR, Capture 1, DxO or any other, is specious and misleading - like comparing Photoshop and Windows Photo Viewer or Notepad and Word. They are entirely different creatures that do very different things. It would indeed be nice if LR would incorporate some of its features, such as Open GL utilization of graphic card resources or Open CL like Capture 1 does. Even more welcome would be a Raw histogram like those in FastRawViewer and Raw Digger. Perhaps they will come in time.

• 3. Re: Fast RAW Rendering - it can be done!
              ChrBo Level 1

Yes, it is not an editor, I know. But I am not talking about the editing, but the rendering of the picture from the RAW. Both (LR und FastRAWViewer) need ot render and there is a BIG difference in the speed of this rendering process between the two (maybe factor 10 to 20?!).

If LR would only improve the RAW rendering with factor 5 to 10 it would be a HUGE help for many LR users...

Christoph

• 4. Re: Fast RAW Rendering - it can be done!
                Simon G E Garrett Level 2

ChrBo wrote:

Yes, it is not an editor, I know. But I am not talking about the editing, but the rendering of the picture from the RAW. Both (LR und FastRAWViewer) need ot render and there is a BIG difference in the speed of this rendering process between the two (maybe factor 10 to 20?!).

If LR would only improve the RAW rendering with factor 5 to 10 it would be a HUGE help for many LR users...

Christoph

There is also a difference in what they have to do even to render an image, so I'm not sure it's comparing like-with-like.  LR raw rendering has to apply all the edits made to the image. 

Generally I find that D800 raw images are rendered in a fraction of a second on my 4-year-old PC.  It takes longer for 100% previews (up to 7 seconds in Library module to render fully a D800 raw plus edits).  Nice if it were quicker, but it has to process all the edits on the image. 

• 5. Re: Fast RAW Rendering - it can be done!
                  ChrBo Level 1

a complete rendering does only happen, if you zoom in to 100% or say LR to genereate 1:1 previews. So, yes 4-6 seconds does it also take for my PC to render a fresh photo in LR (from D800E). But I am speaking only about the first rendering, without any editing from me. If we could get a full rendering (100% zoom-able) in 1 second instead of  4 to 7 seconds - this would be really helpful.