Save it as .idml, open that and save it as a new .indd. Basically, that error is telling you the original file is corrupt.
What have you done, that the file became damaged? Did you embed images instead of linking them or do you have a problem with fonts. It is important to investigate what is causing the problem, otherwise it might happen again.
For the first, save as IDML it might rescue the file, but it is not a guaranty.
This happens to ALL old InDesign files on my iMac (problem does not happen on my Macbook pro). I have saved the files as .idml and opened them again. I get the same error when I try to save the file as .indd. They can ONLY be saved as .idml.
I never embed images and do not have font issues (file was created on the same iMac as it is being opened on now).
Sometimes I get an error when I first try to open an old file - it ays the file is damaged and can't be opened. I try again right after and it opens fine.
Can you save a new file?
Which version of ID are you using? Do you have the latest patch for it installed? (CC 9.2, CC2014 10.1)
You can try trashing the prefs (see Replace Your Preferences), but I suspect there is something damaged in your application install, or you have a conflict with some third-party software (Wacom Drivers, for example were know to cause some problems with saving) or plugin.
I do not have a Wacom tablet but I will check on the updates. Can't check now but I didn't notice a message about updates.
This will have to wait until I get back home tonight.
I did not have a chance to do much h - but - I did change the preferences files which did not solve the problem.
There is no indication that I need to update the software. I will try to uninstall and re-install later.
Also, I just found out that I cannot even save a new document.
The problem could also be caused by a hardware problem. Disk failure, defect RAM, loose or broken cables and connectors.
Use the known hardware check tools, like Disk Utility, and/or OnyX or similar tools.
I was able to uninstall and re-install. I also ran disk utility to repair permissions.
Neither one worked.
There are no other indications of anything wrong with any other software that I am running. This is getting very frustrating.
I said, you should check your Hardware, permissions are part of software settings, not hardware. Use OnyX or similar to check it.
OK - I ran the Apple repair disk utility. Did not help. Then I ran the OnyX utilities and that did the job.
I think things are back to normal - THANK YOU.