33 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2017 9:15 AM by Jeff Bugbee

Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .

afmanim13 Level 1

Hello,

So my company recently acquired 17 licences of Creative Cloud teams, we were all very excited for the new 2014 features and capabilities of Premiere Pro CC and the new cineform codec workflow, plus all the connection between video apps on Cc..

Although it doesn't seem the most important feature, for us, the Project Manager on the presented cineform option of Consolidate and Transcode is a Big Deal for updating and preparing for archive older projects.

But the thing does not work, and its warnings and results are anything but clear or functional.

Example 1:

A full HD project 1920*1080 progressive 25pfs, mixed footage of apple ProRes and Quicktime Animation. Go to consolidade and transcode > sequence > quicktime > match source goPro Cineform :: FAILS..

prem1.jpg

Example 2:

Full HD project 1920*1080 progressive, mixed footage of Quicktime H264 (full hd) and RED 5120*2700, fails.. same error...

Example 3:

Full HD project, mixed footage 1920*1080, progressive jpeg sequence + MFX with fields.. fails.. same error..

IF INSTEAD of choosing "match sequence" i choose "match individual clips" sometimes it works partially but some MXF´s are not converted (premiere does not say why on the Events panel) and those are copied in all the original format. It does not makes much sense.

Now i can go on and on.. giving more examples.. Trent Happel, on a similar post here, explained that this error appears because the selected Format (my case Cineform) does not support the combination of frame size, frame rate and field combination.. Wish is ridiculous because its failing transcoding, standard full HD resolution, with or without fields, or experimented different fps and quicktime´s, MFX´s , Red´s or even sequences..

EVEN when i create a preset (based on cineform or any other) most of the time it fails.. and if a transcode a individual clip (that Premiere Manager was failing on examples described above) in its own solo sequence timeline (just that single individual clip), ironically it gives no error.. so what the heck is happening??

So now.. the company is really happy.. happy they are on the 30 day full refund period, for 17 licences bought based on a workflow adobe promotes, but fails consistently on real world application.

Help if possible is appreciated

• 1. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
          TrentHappel Adobe Employee

FYI, when you choose Match: Sequence, this setting is looking for all clips to match against the Sequence parameters (frame size, frame rate, PAR, fielding). Any clip that does not match any of these parameters of the Sequence, will result in the warning dialog you posted and copy the clips in their original format. For example, your #2 case would copy the RED clip for Match: Sequence as you Sequence was 1920x1080, but the RED clip was 5120x2700.

In the case of Match: Individual Clips, it will attempt to transcode each clip based upon the acceptable parameters of the format/codec. Any clip that does not fall within supported parameters of the codec should have a different warning dialog towards the end of the transcode progress and details should be provided in the Events panel.

You make it clear that you are still seeing issues with Match: Individual Clips. Would it be possible for you to provide samples that are failing, so that we may investigate?

Thank you.

• 2. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
            afmanim13 Level 1

Trent, let me thank you in first for your quick response and time.

The first case you explain, makes sense because the red footage resolution. but if i have a project all based in the sequence (full hd progressive seq + full hd clips) BUT IF some of those clips just are progressive and some have fields the "sequence" option will not work correct?

The second case you point of my example, it works... sometimes.. when it feels like it. Mostly works partially, on one of those cases the transcoding to cineform occurs but some clips are copied in full and without Event panel Report or any warning. (happens a lot with MXF´s)

Other cases gives me this:

prem_03.jpg

So since in the real world most of the times you work with a mixed format timeline, and supposedly that is one of the strong features of PP, the option "match sequence" is pretty useless right? (unless we have a perfect timeline)

Im not sure if i can provide samples but i will check if i can.

Thank you again Trent.

• 3. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .

Correct, if you select Match: Sequence and any of the clips do not match even one of the Sequence parameters (e.g.: Sequence is progressive and some clips are upper field), then those mismatched clips will copy. Match: Sequence was designed for editors with a Sequence that uses primarily matching clips. Copy of non-mtaching clips was to keep the integrity of the original Project and not introduce issues found with scaling, effects, etc.

Match: Individual Clips was designed for more of the mixed formats workflows, depending on format used and it's parameter support capabilities.

We do have some known "unknown error" cases. By any chance are you using audio-only from an A/V clip, merged clips, using custom presets with certain formats (e.g.: P2, DPP AS-11, DCP, still image - Targa, DPX, etc.) or setting Destination Path to a drive with insufficient space for the copied and/or consolidated files?

• 4. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                afmanim13 Level 1

Now i´m beginning to understand better how it should function..

Functions, not Works.. and still the plot thickens..

So today.. having a premiere pro SD timeline of clips that passed via media encoder to transcode manually to cineform (just as a test), happens this: Going to project manager > Consolidate and Transcode > Individual Clips > DNxHD > Match Source... FAILS ::

Does not transcode anything, copies all the originals to the new target folder, without any warning and taking ages to copy the original SD files via the hi-speed company network (aprox 5 file project where the biggest one was 3gb)

Other but different one: Opening via network a MXF project 1m long with a dynamic link file (just 1 aep file and comp) : Premiere hangs up... when it doesnt (who knows why) .. it hangs up on saving..

But this are some marvelous different issues and my post is about consolidate & transcode.. so lets return to that

Trent, to answer your question, the destination drives have plenty of space, not using custom presets, but yes: audio SOMETIMES is unliked from its source video and mixed or audio is from other source video.. sometimes.

Also i´m still trying if i can send you (via private msg) some ref project that gives errors.. if premiere succeeds making the collect..

• 5. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .

Regarding the SD Timeline to DnxHD Match Source, that should fail as DNxHD export will only support 1920x1080. You should have received an error towards the very end of the progress, noting to look in the Events panel, though.

For the audio scenarios, unfortunately it only takes one instance of this to fail the entire Consolidate and Transcode process.

Thank you for your understanding and work on all of this.

• 6. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                    jstrawn Adobe Employee

Also i´m still trying if i can send you (via private msg) some ref project that gives errors.. if premiere succeeds making the collect..

As a workaround to making PrPro collect and copy it for you, just right click on an asset in the project or timeline panel and choose 'reveal in finder' (or explorer on win) and then copy it from it's OS location to some more convenient spot for posting. The smaller the file set you can provide to repro the problem with the better. Ideally it's just one small files which 'fails' for you 100%.

Also, I think that this is already clear to you, but just to make sure...

This dialog is not a FAIL dialog...

https://forums.adobe.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-6994924-703033/prem1.jpg

Rather, it is an informational dialog to let you know how PrPro is about to handle C&T with the assets in your sequence. You should expect to see that dialog any time one or mores of your assets aren't fully supported by whatever "Match" setting you chose. But of course, if you're expecting it to support more than it does, or behave in a different way altogether, that dialog may seem like a FAIL result.

• 7. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                      afmanim13 Level 1

Thank you also for your help, somethings i already know, but every tip is welcome

I know that i can reveal in finder/explorer manually to make a collect, but some projects are simpler.. some are not and the ones are not need extra patience, more when premiere fails to make a simple copy to destination on the collect option.

I understand the term "fail" can be a little aggressive for you guys, but although informative.. its a fail since it simply does not do what its supposed to do sometimes, when the options are rightly chosen. (in this case the match-individual clips option)

What about transcoding some clips and copying others without any event report? And how informative and not classified as a fail is the "unknown error" dialog?

Trent also about the audio, your latest feedback is again welcomed, but again bad news, knowing that a simple mix, audio only import or moving out of sync, will screw everything up...

So in the end, the only solution we got here to make project manager work is having "perfect timelines" without audio or with perfectly synced original audio?

• 8. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                        Doug Lyle Level 1

I'm having issues similar to the original poster.

When I first saw "Consolidate" when it was released I was very pleased, but when I dug into it and found I HAD to transcode I became quickly frustrated.  I don't want to transcode the footage.  In my case, most of the time all my footage is already in the codec I want.  And if for some technical reason I have to transcode, the Project Manager will not see my ProRes Preset under Match:Individual Clips, even though it will see it under Match:Sequence.

Trent, while I understand your explanation of Match:Sequence v. Match: Individual Clips, it doesn't work as advertised.  I have a simple, single layer sequence in Apple ProRes HQ, and all the clips are also ProRes HQ.  When I run "Consolidate and Transcode"/Match:Sequence on it, I get full copies of the source, not trimmed clips.  I may as well have run "Collect Files and Copy."  When I attempt to run "Consolidate and Transcode"/Match:Individual Clips, it won't recognize my ProRes imported preset, so I get trimmed clips, but at a lower resolution.  That's not acceptable.

So now my single layer 1:20 sequence (no audio) that should have about 2.5 gigs of footage "consolidates" with 52gigs of source material.  We are needlessly filling up archive drives with gigs and gigs of unnecessary footage because Premier wouldn't, and now won't properly, consolidate projects.

If I'm missing something please let me know, I've lost another half inch of hairline on this one.

• 9. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                          jstrawn Adobe Employee

afmanim13 wrote:

I understand the term "fail" can be a little aggressive for you guys, but although informative.. its a fail since it simply does not do what its supposed to do sometimes, when the options are rightly chosen. (in this case the match-individual clips option). What about transcoding some clips and copying others without any event report? And how informative and not classified as a fail is the "unknown error" dialog?

I wasn't worried about some negative connotation with the word 'fail', only to discern the difference between a product bug not meeting user expectations. The "unknown error" dialog is definitely a failure, and should never be EXPECTED to happen unless you are intentionally hitting a known bug as part of a workaround. I was only talking about that first dialog which informed you that some items would have to be copied because they don't match the selected preset. Not that I'm not trying to discount your experience, only understand what users' expectations are before we can try to meet them.

• 10. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .

Doug,

When you used Match: Sequence and received copies of the source, rather than trimmed, did the clips match all parameters (frame rate, frame size, PAR, fielding) of the Sequence and did you receive a warning dialog? 

For Match: Individual Clips to recognize your custom preset, the preset must have been saved with Match Source enabled. e.g.: In Export Settings, click the Match Source button in the Basic Video Settings group box under the Video tab. Match: Individual Clips will only accept Match Source presets.

Hope this helps.

• 11. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                              Doug Lyle Level 1

When you used Match: Sequence and received copies of the source, rather than trimmed, did the clips match all parameters (frame rate, frame size, PAR, fielding) of the Sequence and did you receive a warning dialog?

Yes, they all match.  But in the project window the field order is showing "Fields (Unknown Dominance)".  When I check the clips in FCP7, they show up as "None", which is what the sequence is.  Perhaps that's what's throwing it off.

For Match: Individual Clips to recognize your custom preset, the preset must have been saved with Match Source enabled. e.g.: In Export Settings, click the Match Source button in the Basic Video Settings group box under the Video tab. Match: Individual Clips will only accept Match Source presets.

Clicking the "Match Source" button fixed the preset for Match:Individual Clips.  Thank you.

• 12. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                afmanim13 Level 1

Jstrawn, in this issue i have, i appreciate all the help you guys are giving, whenever is something i already know or even a error comprehension of the tool i´m making, so thank you again, because this is sometimes frustrating and represents a big issue in investment, and in the end, the image and reputation that Adobe and Premiere gather.

I was trying to test (just for the sake of experimenting hoping it worked) if i embed the videos metadata with an id or label, the "unknown error" would appear also. My logic was that if the videos were meta-labeled then the trans-coding would not be confused with the mixed and out of sync audio (since all my videos timecode start at zero), because it would target a specific "stamped" video. - i hope this explanation makes sense.. But the result was "unknown error" again.

It starts transcoding, the files start to appear on the target folder.. then the error.. and then all the transcoded files are deleted, excepting one. Again.. .besides the error message, no log events panel.

• 13. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .

I was trying to test (just for the sake of experimenting hoping it worked) if i embed the videos metadata with an id or label, the "unknown error" would appear also. My logic was that if the videos were meta-labeled then the trans-coding would not be confused with the mixed and out of sync audio (since all my videos timecode start at zero), because it would target a specific "stamped" video. - i hope this explanation makes sense.. But the result was "unknown error" again.

It starts transcoding, the files start to appear on the target folder.. then the error.. and then all the transcoded files are deleted, excepting one. Again.. .besides the error message, no log events panel.

Thank you for the update. We will investigate this.

• 14. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .

Trent Happel wrote:

Thank you for the update. We will investigate this.

Would it be possible to list the exact steps you used?

I tried a few ProRes & H.264 .mov clips along with some XDCAMHD .mxf clips, select each on Project panel, right-click > Label > changed the color. I then went to Metadata panel > Basic > Label and entered a value. Consolidate and Transcode to Match: Sequence & Individual Clips, Format: QuickTime, Preset: ProRes. Each of these tests worked for me.

• 15. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                      afmanim13 Level 1

Trent I will list, but what i´m about to write is quicker, just to share an quick update.

There is definitely something very wrong and messy on how project manager -"transcode" is working with mixed audio from its videos sources.

So i pick on a project that is giving me all those errors i´ve been describing: Select all audio -> render and replace. After this I select the sequence again to proceed to "consolidate and transcode " -> Everything works (at least for this test)

I´m making more tests with the metadata also.

• 16. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                        Mark Mapes Adobe Employee

The CC2014.2 update that we released today includes fixes for quite a few issues involving Project Manager/Consolidate & Transcode. There's a whole section devoted to that area in this list. And I expect that the list is incomplete as a fair number of other issues in the same neighborhood were addressed, but they were not included in the summary because it wasn't immediately clear whether the issues were present in CC2014.1 or introduced--and fixed--during the development of CC2014.2.

1 person found this helpful
                                        • 17. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                          awisneski_01 Level 1

I've been having a repeat issue related to this on my last couple projects, and I wonder if it's a simple fix on my end.

When I project manage my sequence, select consolidate/transcode, choose individual clips and Apple ProRes422 (which all my original clips are) I keep getting the error "transcode failure: unable to match audio channels"

The sequence is a 10 minute docuseries episode, full of audio from a sound guy, audio from in camera, interview bites that lay underneath broll, etc. So it's a complicated sequence no doubt.

And I think I understand what the event message means. PP is somehow seeing a mismatch between the sequence instance of the clip and the original file's audio channels. However, whenever I investigate in the project panel, the sequence instance matches the original clip's audio channel mappings perfectly.

Am I right in my assumption of the meaning of this? What might be happening or where should I look next?

• 18. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                            elaine montoya Level 3

Let's try to troubleshoot it to see if we can figure out what's going on.

1. First, select "Copy Files and Transfer to New Location". This should work without a hitch. If it doesn't let me know.

2. Next, go back and try "Consolidate and Transcode" again and select 'Sequence' instead of individual clips and see if it still happens.

3. Finally, how many presets are you seeing for exporting QuickTime? For example, with a sequence I have open, I have 4 presets for QuickTime. 2 of them are built in presets, and the other two are Match Source. If you don't have ones in addition to Match Source, you may need to install ProRes presets.

Let me know...

• 19. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                              awisneski_01 Level 1

Hi Elaine,

Thanks so much for the reply. Really appreciate it. 

1) I haven't run the full "copy files and transfer" because it seems like it was going to take a LONG time given our end project will be close to 1TB. I did a "calculate" for the size for that function earlier, and that's the size it was estimating. So I was saving that as a last resort. There were no errors during the "calculate" though.

2) We've run "Consolidate and Transcode" with the "sequence" setting and it behaves the same way. We've also run individual clips, and many different ProRes presets we created just to see if that was the issue as well, but no luck.

3) We see many options for ProRes export. We have 2 match source options, and we have 2 non match-source. Also, as an experiment i went into AME and created many different ProRes export presets with varying audio channel setups, and including one ProRes export without audio export at all, and it's been the same result every time.

I've checked all the audio channel mappings, and every instance matches the original clip's channel map in the project monitor.

Here's a curious twist, every time we run it, we see that Premiere will chop our original ProRes files to match the sequence instances, without a problem. Even when there's ONLY audio from an A/V clip in our timeline, it will transcode that out as well perfectly as well as a file with "extracted audio" in the file name. But then it seems to be going back and grabbing the full length original versions of those clips as well and transcoding the whole thing on top of that. It seems for no reason. Which is why we're getting these huge export times and gigantic file sizes at the end.

Thanks for your help. We're stuck until we get this figured out.

• 20. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                elaine montoya Level 3

Have you tried all of the ProRes options? If so, do you still experience the same issue?

I forgot to ask...which version of Premiere Pro are you using? CC2015?

• 21. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                  awisneski_01 Level 1

Yeah we've tried them all. I'm using the latest 2015 update. It should be noted though that I had a similar problem in the previous version 2014 as well.

Thanks for helping us figure this out. At this point we have to bail on this strategy so we can deliver our show on time. We're going to the Copy and Transfer option and it's just going to mean giant projects going to color mix.

I was surprised that others hadn't mentioned having this issue. It was really hard to find anything on it online, but it seems like it must be happening to others right?

Thanks again.

• 22. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                    elaine montoya Level 3

Well, I'm still hoping we can figure out an answer, in case you run into this in future projects. Could you test the project again, and try this...

Since the problem you have is with audio, on your timeline, select all of the audio and then right click and choose 'render and replace'

My thought is since you have an audio guy working on this as well, some of the audio clips may have characteristics that are not compatible with the ProRes codec you're transcoding to.

• 23. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                      awisneski_01 Level 1

Yeah we actually tried that a couple days ago. No change in how it performs on the project manager export. Let's see, what else did we try.....

We looked at a list of the problem clips, and noticed that the problem might be that the clips didn't contain their original in camera audio on the timeline. So we went back to the clips in the project panel, and match framed them into the sequence so that every clip had it's original camera audio in the timeline. And we double checked the audio channel mappings before that as well. That didn't change anything either.

We just opened up the timeline for the next episode in the show, and tried a consolidate and transcode on that, thinking maybe it was just a fluke with the first episode's sequence, but the results for that one were identical to the previous sequence. Had to do a copy and transfer on that as well.

We also created a new sequence, changed the sequence settings audio tracks to "adaptive" and then copy and pasted the clips from the original sequence to that one. ANd then we tried to project manage that one, and the exact same result happened.

• 24. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                        awisneski_01 Level 1

I think it would be helpful to know exactly what the event message: "transcode failure: unable to match audio channels. FILE NAME: was copied" means. Why does it give that error, what is not matching with what, and then we could try to get at the root faster, cause I swear we've tried everything.

• 25. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                          jenniferb88182320 Level 1

I am getting the same "unable to match audio channels" error on a sequence in which I have deleted all audio. I need to send the video files to Resolve, and they work better once they've been transcoded and put into a folder. I don't even need audio for this, and I am getting that audio error.

I am selecting the Apple ProRes preset for Individual clips, and this audio error pops up throughout the whole Transcode process.

At the end of it all, the Project Manager fails with the error:

"An unknown error occurred during the Project manager operation. Please save your project and retry the operation."

Anyone have any idea what is going on?

• 26. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                            BeyondPixPost Level 1

Hi Elaine,

We are experiencing the same problem with audio ("Transcode Failure. Unable to match audio channels.")  On the transcode we end up with a consolidated project with trimmed clips and the full clip copied due to the audio error.  This problem only started since we upgraded to Premiere Pro CC2015. 

We kept CC2014 and the same project (not updated to 2015) consolidates and transcodes with no issue.  The 2014 version of the project comes out to 8GB and the 2015 version comes out to 45GB.

I look forward to the resolution!

• 27. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                              Slavica @ SBS Level 1

Hi,

We are also experiencing the "Transcode Failure. Unable to match audio channels". The bulk of our sources are international masters which are 8 channel XDCAM HD422.mxf. We interpret them as stereo on import, making them 4 stereo pairs. I have created an export preset that matches our clips and audio is simply set to 8 channel. No luck.

Incidentally, I have not successfully transcoded XDCAM HD 422 at all yet. Either the whole file is copied or the above message occurs. I have read that long GOP is supported as of 8.2.1, but I have not managed to make it work and I have tried transcoding to most of your main options - Pro Res, Go Pro Cineform and XDCAM.

I look forward to hearing more too.

• 28. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                                heinzt64153040 Level 1

Hi

the same experience here. we have the issues since the last update.

we updated unfortunately all copies...

we hope, this will be fixed soon.

• 29. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                                  mxisaac Level 1

I'm getting the exactly same error.  One thing I have noticed no one mentioned... I'm working with MP4 files.  Is it possible that have media that uses iFrames or some flavor of H264 is screwing it up?  Maybe it can't split up certain types of compressed files.

• 30. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                                    seanik44 Level 1

I am having the same issue as well on Premiere CC 2015.3

Are we close to a fix anytime soon?  It looks like it's been well over a year and a half since the original post.

• 31. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                                      thereadco Level 1

3 years later from the original post and having the same issues. When are you going to fix this adobe? I've tried everything and now delayed on my deliveries because of this. Fix this please.

• 32. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                                        BorisA Level 1

Same... I get this error when ever I try to manage my project for archive.

• 33. Re: Consolidate and Transcode in Cineform workflow: A great feature... if it worked properly .
                                                                          Jeff Bugbee Adobe Community Professional

Here's a comprehensive list of when Consolidate and Transcode will fail without warning: Project Manager - Consolidate and Transcode problems

See if your project contains any of these