12 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 9:33 PM by JFPhoton

HP z820 specs

ajgrattan

Hi, I am ordering up a new Z820 pc for Premiere Pro CC/After Effects CC... all my work in HD video and the very odd 4K job (assuming this will only become more common). 

A local supplier suggested:

2 x Intel Xeon E5-2630 v2 2.6 1600 6xCore CPU's

32 GB DDR3-1866 Ram

Nvidia Quadro K4000

HP Thunderbolt 2 PCIe 1 Port with 2 x G-Tech Studio Thunderbolt 8 TB

I was thinking of going for a higher spec processor like the E5 2650 (2.6 8 core) or the E5 2667 (3.3 8 core).  I was also thinking of the K5200 over the K4000.... is this overkill. 

I am coming from an older MacPro system and am not up to speed with the PC side of things.  Would love to stick with the Mac system but believe there is much better performance with PC...

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Alan

• 1. Re: HP z820 specs
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

1 - read the articles at Tweakers Page

2 - consider a specialty company that KNOWS video editing

-http://www.adkvideoediting.com/ or http://www.sharbor.com/

• 2. Re: HP z820 specs
            JFPhoton Level 3

As you mentioned, you currently work in HD, ( assuming 1080p,or less) and only NOW are attempting an occasional 4K job....you DEFINITELY want to talk to Eric Bowen at ADK computers because the nature of your CHANGING workflow may dictate the minimum performance of whatever machine you put together.

I would be surprised if Eric would NOT recommend the new Haswell E based system with the 980 Nvidia GPU......unless your workflow is extremely demanding and industrial in scale. I believe he will tell you that the 8 core Haswell E, running at a healthy overclock, will BLOW AWAY the Xeons due to the much higher clock speed.

Also, the GeForce 980 will WAY outperform the Quadro cards. Quadro is recommended only when 10 bit monitoring is required...I believe. If you go Haswell E....you may save TONS of money putting together a good machine. Your supplier appears to want to sell you the most EXPENSIVE hardware that may not perform as well as the newer and CHEAPER Haswell E solution.Eric has posted actual test results here on this forum to look at comparing the Haswell E with Xeon. HE can give you the BEST advice !

• 3. Re: HP z820 specs
              ajgrattan Level 1

Thank you both for the reply.  I am based in Ireland so will need to source a supplier closer to home.  Thanks for the info .. Much appreciated.

• 4. Re: HP z820 specs
                JFPhoton Level 3

....still, you should try and get advice from Eric at ADK....he often dispenses valuable knowledge here for free.....and he sure KNOWS what he is talking about....he could save you a LOT of money, even if you cannot buy from him. He may be able to help you choose the right equipment for your needs. Look at his post here on the forum"Haswell E Results", and you can see the comparison in the performance with Xeon CPUs and varying video cards.

• 5. Re: HP z820 specs
                  ajgrattan Level 1

thanks for the advice ... really appreciated

• 6. Re: HP z820 specs
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The problem with that Z820 specifically is that it's the previous gen Xeons. Those are not the new V3 Xeons that are Haswell E. Haswell E is the new platform that also includes the X99 JFPhoton spoke of. DDR4 significantly increases the bandwidth of the ram which greatly impacts GPU acceleration applications such as Premiere. AE performance is almost all CPU and ram so the video card has little impact there. The 8 Core i7 5960X shows the overall best performance on average because it has 8 Core/16 threads at a high clock speed compared to most Xeons. Premiere requires enough cores/threads to ideally decode/encode the media and then clock speed of the CPU's have greater effect on the GPU acceleration versus more cores/threads. The greater cores/threads of the dual Xeons can help with very complex projects with 4K,5K,6K media such as red due to handling a far greater load real time. The Dual Xeons can also handle a more complex comp in AE ie more layers,FX, and motion with AE comps at a higher resolution for ram preview due to the higher amount of ram available on the dual Xeons with the extra cores/threads. However the trade off is often slower export times and higher cost. So the question really becomes, does your workflow and media require the best realtime load capability or not. If the answer is no then the Dual Xeon is not really what your looking for. The single chip X99 system is going to give you the best of both at a lower cost. Many of the X99 boards such as the Asus boards also allow you to upgrade to the V3 Xeon chips so you can still upgrade to a single 14 Core Xeon later if you need that processing for your work. That is normally a better overall config than dual Xeons due to the latency the 2nd chip adds to the processing as they sync and share data.

The 980GTX would be a far better card for the GPU acceleration and preview options with the HDMi 2.0 than the Quadro K5200 or the K4000. If you need 10bit color preview off the video card then you have to get the Quadro. If not then the 900 series Geforce cards are better. They are faster and run close to the same power requirement as the Quadro. They also run a a lower temp than the 700 series GPU Quadros. If you need 10bit color preview then look at a Blackmagic card. A 980GTX with a Blackmagic card gives you the better performance and the raw monitoring in 10bit color. If you plan to use Davinci at some point then you would need the Blackmagic card anyway most likely.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: HP z820 specs
                      ajgrattan Level 1

Hi Eric, JFP and John,

Thank you all for your feedback.  I have been researching online with your advice in mind and came across Dave Dugdales website where he custom built a PC with the components you mentioned:

Raw Footage of Building the Beast Video Editing Computer

Heres a list of the components he used:

Intel i7-5960X 8-core Haswell-E

Asus X99 Deluxe Motherboard... there is a workstation version of this now available!    

Asus GTX 780Ti DCII or GTX 760 card

Crucial DDR4 64G 2133MHz

NZXT H630 CA

NZXT Krakan X61 CPU Water Cooler which includes two fans

NZXT Hale 1000 Watt 90+ Gold PSU white

NZXT Aperture M Card Reader

Thunderbolt PCI Adapter

NZXT FN120 V2 two addition fans

Obviously I will need to add hard drives and will look at SSDs for the OS drive and larger either internal or external drives for media.

Any additions/comments to this list?

Many thanks again guys,

Alan

• 8. Re: HP z820 specs

The build list looks solid enough. I would suggest the 980GTX over the 780Ti. The Thunderbolt card is PCI-E btw and not PCI.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: HP z820 specs
                          ajgrattan Level 1

Hi Eric,

Just got an email back from a PC builder locally who also suggested the 980 ... and will pass on the thunderbolt PCI-E not PCI.

thanks for coming back on this ... really appreciated.

I will post initial feedback here once the build is complete... just in case any one else is in the same boat.

Regards

Alan

• 10. Re: HP z820 specs
                            JFPhoton Level 3

Eric,

As Alan is considering SSDs for his new machine, just YESTERDAY Samsung began selling its new " 850 EVO" series of SSDs. After reading the performance review at Anandtech, it appears that the new 500 MB and 1TB 850 EVO now have the same controller as the 850 Pro while the lesser capacity models have a newer, "stripped down" controller.So, the main difference between the large capacity EVO 850s and the Pro series seems to be the type of "3D memory", the Pro has MLC, while the EVO has TLC. The EVO read and write performance NOW appears to equal that of the Pro model.....even with "incompressible data".....for a MUCH lower price.......down in the range of the Crucial M550s,but, with better performance. The Crucial, with slightly less performance, has a certain degree of protection in the event of a power loss using capacitors and may have better "overprovisioning".....but the Warranty on the 850 EVO is 5 years !

With an X 99 setup....would these new EVO SSDs be a good consideration ???....I am thinking that 2 or 3 of these in a RAID 0 off the motherboard for storage would provide a reliable  1 to 1.5 GB/ sec. transfer rate and for the OS/ boot drive a $249 Samsung 256GB XP941 could be used, ( M.2 PCI E ), providing 1GB/sec. read and 800MB?sec. write...even though the interface is Gen. 2,PCI, it runs at this speed on the new PCI E Gen 3 slot. The newer Gen 3 PCI E XP 951 is not out yet.

What would your opinion be of this all SSD solution ??

• 11. Re: HP z820 specs

The Controller may be the same which should resolve the raid performance for the most part. However the Evo drives are still TLC which has far lower endurance than MLC drives. Even this current crop of 850 Evo's still have half or a quarter the endurance rating of the Micron M600 drives and the Micron's are close to the same price. I would never get a TLC NAND drive for a media drive. Their fine for OS since the endurance means far less but not with media that is constantly writing and offloading from the storage.

Eric

ADK

• 12. Re: HP z820 specs
                                JFPhoton Level 3

Thanks for the heads up Eric !!....you, Bill,and Harm, ( in the past), have sure prevented me from making bad choices when buying hardware !