6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 3:16 PM by fnordware

Footage - Large numbers of frames

4500 Times Level 1

Hi.

I am rendering off frames to EXR at 1080 x 720 using VRay from 3DS Max.  My animation is 6600 frames long.  I have the main scene and around 10 VRay render elements.  The main scene EXR files are around 8Mb each.  The render elements are a few hundred kb each.  I am part way through rendering but have started to load the footage into A.E. ............. and seem to have locked it up.

Q.1.  Is this simply too much data for A.E. to handle?

Q.2.  Is there some sort of limit or a "sensible maximum" of how many frames can be loaded in A.E?

Q.2.  Do I just need to look for tutorials on optimising A.E?

Q.3.  Or should I be looking to create a series of shorter files that are manageable?

I do have a decent machine.  Dual hexcore with 64Gb RAM and an NVidia Quadro K5000 graphics card.

Thanks,

T

• 1. Re: Footage - Large numbers of frames
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

The simple answer is: Don't use EXR. AE is rubbish at dealing with them and all the polishing of the EXR loaders over the versions hasn't really improved the situation. Most of the time you won't need the fidelity, anyway. Use 16bit TIFFs or similar.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Footage - Large numbers of frames
            4500 Times Level 1

Hi.

Thank you for the reply.

Unfortunately, for what I am doing (creating very hot elements) I was advised to use EXR and have about 1.5 weeks rendering already done.  Based on this I really am forced to have to continue with EXR this time.

So..... Do you mean that A.E. can't handle EXR and this is definitely not going to work, or is it just going to be hard work?

Q.1.  Can A.E. normally handle the amount of frames that I am using?

Q.2.  Is there some sort of limit or a "sensible maximum" of how many frames can be loaded in A.E?

Q.3.  Should I be looking to create a series of shorter files that are manageable?

My last project was 2000 frames and A.E. handled EXR for that without issues.  So does that point to Q.3?

Thanks,

Terry

• 3. Re: Footage - Large numbers of frames

AE can handle an unlimited number of source frames. I have "edited" 10 minute projects with 20000 frames and more entirely in the program. The issue really is with EXRs exclusively. Basically the only EXR type AE can handle reasonably are "flat" 32bit float EXRs without compression. Any other type will either take too much resources for the decompression or introduce conversions for instance from the Half data type. Conversely, using any multi-layer EXRs will require to use the Extractor and due to how it works be slow as hog. If all else fails, simply download Fusion or Blender and splice out your EXR files to other formats where possible or at least convert any multi channel EXRs to separate file sequences. Beyond that I can only imagine that you are using specific settings or effects that slow down things so much like e.g. using specific color management. also, of course, caching files in 32bit float is much more heavy on the cache, so if you use disk caching, turning it off or using other drives might improve things considerably...

Mylenium

• 4. Re: Footage - Large numbers of frames
                4500 Times Level 1

Hi Mylenium.

Thanks for that.  So, the rule is Full Float (32 bits/Channel) and no compression.  I assume the "store image as tiles" option is OK?

Thanks,

Terry

• 5. Re: Footage - Large numbers of frames

AE does not use any of the tile options. It will always decode the full view frame (EXRs can have "invisible" parts/ pixel content outside the view). Should not matter for 3D-rendered files, since the visible area usually matches the actual pixel content.

Mylenium

• 6. Re: Footage - Large numbers of frames
                    fnordware Level 3

What version of After Effects are you using? 6600 frames shouldn't be too long.

There have been various issues that have been fixed over the years. You might try installing the latest EXR plug-in (part of ProEXR) and see if that solves the problem.

Brendan