5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 7:27 AM by ECBowen

Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and GPU

M1CK3Y

I’m pretty much a newbie when it comes to the technical guts of After Effects VS graphics cards (and more in-depth hardware aspects of optimizing your machine for video editing, for that matter) so - be gentle :-)

Unbeknownst to me, I went ahead and bought a new graphics card hoping it would speed up my rendering time, only to find out that particular card wasn’t supported by AE (or so it appears).

Is there any way around it?

I thought that no matter what graphics card I buy, it’d work with AE. After all, it’s Nvidia and it’s way better than my previous card which was the GeForce 9600 GS.

I read through the supported card list published by Adobe and found out that all cards are pretty much supported except the 750 models. Is that correct?

I hope you can help me out here as, like I said, I’m an amateur and some of you have sat in the field since forever and know all there is to know about building an “editing station”.

Have a quick read through my specs and tell me how I could optimize my machine to get a decent performance out of it. By decent I mean enough to relatively quickly go about rendering and working with say up to 1 minute HD clips.

I mean, I try to create quite elaborate sequences (such as intros and logo animations) from scratch so I do employ all the appropriate elements like multiple light sources and camera movements and try to use all tools AE offers. So we’re not talking about simple 2D text flying around.

Maybe you can suggest some budget hardware I could put together to get as much juice out of my PC as possible. Just so you know my financial limitations, I can say that by saying “budget” I’m thinking hundreds rather than thousands.

Here are my specs as copied from Speccy:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

CPU:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz

RAM:

7.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz (5-5-5-15)

MOTHERBOARD:

FOXCONN P45AL-S/P45AL (SOCKET775 M/B)

GRAPHICS:

S24D390 (1920x1080@60Hz) - (Samsung Display)

2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (MSI)

STORAGE:

55GB ST360021A SCSI Disk Device (RAID) - (This one is just a redundant drive I don’t much use)

698GB Seagate ST3750840AS ATA Device (SATA)

I realize it’s nothing spectacular but if you guys can help, I’d much appreciate it :-)

Tell me what you think...

• 1. Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and GPU
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What version of AE?

Looking at your specs, the RAM is weird. 7? Multiples of 8 work better.

If you're using the ray-traced renderer, the GPU matters.

If you're using a third-party plugin (such as Element 3d), the GPU matters, but AE's list of cards doesn't matter.

Otherwise, the GPU doesn't matter for AE (still matters for Premiere though).

Speaking of ray traced rendering, I'd suggest a more powerful 3d option (if you're using the CC or CC 2014 version of AE): details of CINEMA 4D integration with After Effects

Info on AE's use of the GPU here: GPU (CUDA, OpenGL) features in After Effects

Info on optimizing your machine here: optimizing for performance: Adobe Premiere Pro and After Effects

A discussion on how AE and Premiere use system resources here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/event/index.cfm?event=set_registered&id=2490687&loc=en_us

• 2. Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and GPU
            ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

You AE performance is limited by your CPU and Ram. Video card is not going to help. You really want atleast 16GB of ram  for AE and a Core 2 CPU is going to really show performance problems with AE. Even a current Dual Core Haswell chip would far out perform that Core 2 chip. There is not much to upgrade there to make it much better.

Eric

ADK

• 3. Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and GPU
              M1CK3Y Level 1

Thank you for replying :-)

Yeh, I forgot to mention the AE version I’m using, sorry. It’s CS6 package.

I haven’t had a chance to try Premiere with the new card yet.

The RAM is weird indeed :-) The reason for it is the fact my machine was originally purchased from Packard in 2008 I believe. It came with 3 GB of RAM. Since then, my “monster” underwent several modifications. I’ve changed the motherboard and added 4GB of RAM. Now, I’ve installed the 750 Ti.

• 4. Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and GPU
                M1CK3Y Level 1

I’ve been thinking to buy a new CPU, yes. But I’d have to check whether my current motherboard can take say i5 or at least i3...

If it can’t then I’m looking at upgrading that, as well. The RAM is probably the least of my worries.

What do you suggest then? Going for the motherboard and CPU upgrade? Or can you think of a CPU that’d be compatible with my current motherboard...for the time being at least?

The problem I might also be facing is the size of my tower. It is a Phantom one (can’t tell you the exact model, though - one of the older ones anyway). It is quite spacious but I’m not sure whether some of the bigger motherboards can be comfortably fitted. When I inserted the 750 Ti, it almost stretched all the way to the HDD slots so...you see my predicament...

• 5. Re: Nvidia GeForce GTX 750 Ti and GPU
                  ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Unfortunately any of the current i3 to i7 chips require a different chipset ie different board from the core 2 board. That means replacing the  CPU, Ram, and systemboard at the very least. At some point is better money spent to just get a new system since hardware has a shelf life.

Eric

ADK