7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 12:18 AM by FuelMe

2 DIFFERENT GPUs for Improved Performance? <---

FuelMe Level 1

PPro CC 2014's performance with AVCHD files (multiple cameras) is so poor now for me, I'm wondering if it's time to throw 2 GPUs into my workstation and see if that makes a difference. My current rig has a GTX 780 (6 GB version) installed and while it was smooth as butter with previous versions of PPro, it seems to not suffice now with PPro CC 2014. I also have 2 older GTX 680, and several GTX 560 (I think) cards stored away.

Instead of forking out another $5-600 for yet another video card, is it possible to get PPro to work with

1) GTX 780

and a

2) GTX 680

in the same computer? If so, can I force PPro to use the 780 for its MPE-related activities, and have the 680 just do the "monitor duties"? (I usually have 2 monitors attached at any given time.)

Or a mix thereof?

Does it HAVE to be 2 of the same GPUs?

Or should I use the 2 x GTX 680 and ditch the GTX 780?

What's your recommended approach, if any?

I want to make it clear that my system was perfectly smooth and worked without an issue with previous versions of PPro, including last year's version. The performance issues only happened since PPro CC 2014.

Common issues are laggy playback, dropped audio, frequent low-memory warnings (ONLY happens while working in PPro). Of course I run memory tests and keep the system clean (no unneeded programs like anti-virus, games, etc.) .

Here's my main rig:

Windows  8.1

Intel i7 3930K (Hexa core) @ 3.20 Ghz ( performance improvement if overclocked to 4 Ghz but then it's quite unstable so I usually do not overclock anymore)

Motherboard is Asus Rampage IV Extreme

32 GB Ram

Current card: GTX 780 (currently only 1)

1000 Watt Corsair power supply (Gold)

SDD 1: OS, Programs

SSD 2: Source files

SSD 3: Media Caches

SSD 4: Deliverables

SSD 5: misc stuff like titles, watermarks, etc.

SSD 6: PPro .proj files

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: 2 DIFFERENT GPUs for Improved Performance? <---
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Yes you can set Premiere to use 1 specific card for the GPU acceleration with the Nvidia control panel. Just set the global and the specific application to use the 780GTX for the CUDA acceleration in the options. Then launch Premiere again. That should do it. I have a client I am working with that is using a significant amount of ram with his workflow at times pushing Premiere to start having issues. So it seems the last 2 Adobe updates have some unexpected memory management behavior going on where it's not starting to flush ram once the usage gets to a certain point like it should. I am still trying to ascertain what aspects of Premiere are pushing the ram this high and not flushing the buffer. I will let you know once we do.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: 2 DIFFERENT GPUs for Improved Performance? <---
            Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

I have had a GTX 680 and GTX 780 operating in my system with no problems with Premiere 8.0.  Have had several other dual combinations all were working fine with PPBM8 testing.  I doubt that a second GPU will solve your.  I am editing three AVCHD cameras (NOT multicamera mode) on this laptop on a regular basis.  I strongly suggest that you go to our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) web site and run the benchmarks to see what your weakness really is..

• 3. Re: 2 DIFFERENT GPUs for Improved Performance? <---
              alexdejesus Level 1

I tried a GTX 780 and a Quadro K4200 in the same case on a P9X79-E WS motherboard - based on a recommendation from a website. NVidia Quadro tech people wrote back saying they do not support or approve of such an arrangement - I'm guessing because of the different types of products. Probably okay if both are GTX. Personally, I saw no benefit to having both cards installed, so I yanked the Quadro out.

• 4. Re: 2 DIFFERENT GPUs for Improved Performance? <---
                Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

Alex, I agree because it requires two different nVidia drivers and I am sure they do not test such a configuration.  With just one driver and two cards it does improve the GPU accelerated PPBM scores about 10-15% on the H.264 timeline and 30-40% on the very heavily used MPE effects and features of the MPEG timeline.

• 5. Re: 2 DIFFERENT GPUs for Improved Performance? <---
                  FuelMe Level 1

"

Bill Gehrke wrote:

Alex, I agree because it requires two different nVidia drivers and I am sure they do not test such a configuration.  With just one driver and two cards it does improve the GPU accelerated PPBM scores about 10-15% on the H.264 timeline and 30-40% on the very heavily used MPE effects and features of the MPEG timeline.

That's exactly what I'm hoping for. I've never had issues with AVCHD and been doing multiple layers for years. It's only after this most recent update that I'm seeing some performance issues and I'm HOPING having 2 GPUs in there will alleviate that. It appears the latest PPRo is just significantly more of a resource hog during certain operations. So I'm happy to read here that some of you did use 2 different GPUs. Now, should I connect both monitors to ONE (1) GPU, or split them between the two? Is there a way to force 1 GPU to be the one that drives the monitors, and the other one that solely handles Premiere? (Hope this makes sense)

Thank you

• 6. Re: 2 DIFFERENT GPUs for Improved Performance? <---
                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

Try setting the ram left for other applications in one of the Adobe applications to 10GB. It seems the memory allocation is so aggressive now the 6GB default is not allowing enough ram for some processes Adobe uses such as Quicktime which are outside the application memory allocation. See if that helps your performance some.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: 2 DIFFERENT GPUs for Improved Performance? <---
                      FuelMe Level 1

Hi Eric, I did that already because that's what was suggested to me in a previous thread about stability issues. I increased it to 8 GB and that did indeed help cut down on out of memory-errors. But performance did not improve at all.