11 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2014 7:31 PM by R Neil Haugen

Stills Import problem-help

bgt12 Level 1

Using Premiere cs6, editing a  multicamera show and I need to import a wide variety of stills of varying sizes that were used in the actual production. After some research and some online conversations it was intimated that the best option was to use the image processor in Photoshop to process the photos. However, I seem to have a problem....I select the source folder, then the destination folder, then I hit the problem in step 3. I change the size settings to reflect 1920x1080, but when I move the cursor out of the box it reverts to 1919x1010 respectively. I have tried this a number of times in jpg and tiff that I decided to just leave them and push 'run'.  Now I get a notice that says 'you must specify width and height when using resize image option for JPEG.'  well, duh..........I finally got one still to render in tiff but it is so distorted it's unusable.

So....

1) Is there something hinky going on with the above? Am I missing something? What is the actual best method to import stills to be used in a timeline? What format should they finally be rendered in?

Always appreciate the help from this site

Brent T.

• 1. Re: Stills Import problem-help
          R Neil Haugen Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Hard to tell exactly where it breaks down ... are you still in Photoshop in "step 3" on the re-size? I know in Photoshop if you're going to change dimension relationships you either need to crop the image to that proportion OR un-check the lock thingie (looks like a chain) before it will allow you to save the image.

Typically one does work the stills in photoshop, and then exports at either a fixed size/ratio for all images or often at something bigger by say double than the pixel-size of the timeline/sequence. This allows for the easiest and widest use in PrPro ... you can choose to have PrPro show the whole image, or crop ... or even do what's become known as the "ken burns" effect, where you look at part of an image on the sequence and key-frame moving to either a different part of the image or zooming in/out.

Neil

• 2. Re: Stills Import problem-help
            bgt12 Level 1

Yup, I'm in Photoshop. All I've done so far is file-scripts-image processor...then the steps listed above. The actual image/s have not been imported yet, and I see no chain link icon anywhere in the image processing window

• 3. Re: Stills Import problem-help
              bgt12 Level 1

Could it be a problem with cs6 and Yosemite? I don't think I've updated Photoshop after the OS install.....

• 4. Re: Stills Import problem-help

Haven't used the Image Processor in some years, so went over and gave a whirl with a flash-card of Santa images the missus shot in a studio-special last Saturday with the D3. Went right through the steps, tabbing out after entering data, and had no problem setting a re-size of 1920x1080 on the jpeg. Now, as it didn't actually change proportions, ALL the images out of the D3 when re-sized came out same proportion as originally ... and 1080 high by 1623 wide. Tried setting only one parameter, and had to set both as I got the notice you got. Simply set it & tabbed out, worked fine.

Also had a TIFF output without resize at the same time ... and those were all at original pixel size.

I gather what you're trying to do is simply resize all stills/graphics to sequence-setting size to simply plop 'em on the timeline without needing to answer any "Do you want to change this to sequence setting?" type dialog questions? If you want an auto-crop process, without distortion, you probably need to create an action in Photoshop to change pixel dimensions by this if that not this, & save it, then in the image processor apply that action instead of trying to use the image processor to batch re-size. Now ... batch cropping to fit into a 1920x1080 frame may not always result in an optimally cropped image ...

Neil

• 5. Re: Stills Import problem-help
                  bgt12 Level 1

Well, I can get the w to stay at 1920 but the H reverts to 1010, so I just selected at tif, looked in the destination folder and there it is. I then imported it into Premiere using media browser and then moved it onto a test timeline, and it is just as blurry as all get out

• 6. Re: Stills Import problem-help
                    bgt12 Level 1

the original was a 60x45 jpg

• 7. Re: Stills Import problem-help

60x45 pixels? Inches? Cm?

Neil

• 8. Re: Stills Import problem-help
                        bgt12 Level 1

it was off the 'get info' from the still so, pixels I'm sure...I hope this isn't too annoying, but I did go through the adobe site and you answered so......

I tried another one, it's 1028x772- I can get that to show up in Premiere as clear as the original, but the outer 1/4 of the image is out of frame- am I supposed to check safe spacing somewhere before importing into premiere?

• 9. Re: Stills Import problem-help

No wonder the one was not particularly detailed ... that would be small even for a thumbnail. As to the other ... "the outer 1/4 of the image is out of frame" ... left or right, top or bottom, evenly all around, what?

And at this point posting a screen grab would be very useful ...

Neil

• 10. Re: Stills Import problem-help
                            bgt12 Level 1

Screen Shot 2014-12-08 at 8.03.25 PM.png

Here is the screen shot...you can see the original in the lower left. As you can see the project is for our local Scout Council, and I'm a volunteer on the marketing com. and am basically a producer/camera guy, and the project fell to me to finish it. As I mentioned the stills used in the actual production are a whole bunch of different sizes, and that small one I mentioned first is a lousy copy to begin with- hence the lousy blow-up quality. It appears I can get them through the image processor, but I haven't figured out how to deal with size variations, and still that weird auto change in the size windows. Appreciate your help- we have the largest council in country so I've got a lot of people waiting for this.

• 11. Re: Stills Import problem-help

Looks like your sequence is expecting to "fill" the frame ... so it brought the image in to fill the entire width cropping top & bottom. I think at this point the fastest thing would be for you to check AdobeTV and lynda-dot-com and Wolfcrow for tutorials on working with still images. Also maybe just google "still images In Premiere Pro".

Neil