9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 2:27 PM by barker85

Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?

barker85 Level 1

Hi there,

I am in urgent need of a new editing PC. Generally I will be editing 4K RED files.

Previously I was using a laptop (HP Elitebook; i7 2720QM 2.2 GHz; NVIDIA Quadro 1000M 2 GB; 8GB RAM) and with that could edit 4K files at 1/4 resolution, but I am now looking for a machine that can edit 4K at 1/2, as well avoiding lag during quick cuts to multiple layers on playback and improving rendering times.

I am considering purchasing a pre-built Dell (in part because I have ongoing editing work and need a new machine ASAP) and am wondering how well this would fare?

Processor     4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4790 processor (8M Cache, up to 4.0 GHz)

Memory1    12GB2 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz

Hard Drive     1TB 7200 rpm Hard Drive

Video Card    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 4GB DDR3

I think the alternative would be to extend my budget to a hex core i7 4930k with an NVIDIA GTX 970 card and 32GB RAM.

Of course, if the 4790 system mentioned is good enough to suit the criteria I would much rather go for that. Additionally if anyone can explain what kind of differences I would see between the two prospective systems (I was mainly concerned about the disparity between quad and hex cores) I would greatly appreciate it.

Many thanks...

• 1. Re: Recommended PC Spec for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

if you get the first option ie the 4790 then you need atleast 16GB of ram and really 32GB especially with CC 2014. CC 2014 uses a ton of ram for the GPU acceleration and 4K media. You will have problems if you dont have enough ram to handle the GPU accelerated debayering. I would suggest though you extend your budget to the 970GTX with this build. Also plan on a raid 0 for the media drive. The 1 drive is not going to handle red media well beyond a layer or 2. The 4930K would have greater capability for realtime playback and easier to upgrade later for greater workflows. That would be better money spent. The Dell would have very limited upgrade options but will get the job done if you make the changes suggested.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?
            barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info Eric.

Unfortunately it seems that the Dell (8700) has a 450w PSU so can't accept some of the higher end video cards. When the RAM is upgraded to 16-32GB do you think it would still be sufficient or would the 745GTX be too much of a bottleneck?

In regard to media - due to budgetary constraints and the amount of data involved (almost 20TB on my primary project), I have been using external 10x 2TB USB3/eSATA drives. Please can you tell me if this significantly hinders performance or might factor in on the choice of the editing machine? Unfortunately a RAID solution appears to be out of my budget.

• 3. Re: Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?
              RjL190365 Level 4

TThe GTX 745 would be too much of a bottleneck, in this instance: It is a cut-down version of the GTX 750, with only 384 CUDA cores and DDR3 memory that has a lousy throughput of only 29 GB/s. A very, very far cry from the 224 GB/s memory throughput of the GTX 970.

• 4. Re: Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?

If you cant get a Dell with atleast a 650W PSU then dont bother with the Dell. The restrictions on power and therefore upgrade options is to much. Look for a custom build at that point ie the 4930K system.

Eric

ADK

• 5. Re: Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?
                  barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info.

Due to looming deadlines I had to get a pre-built machine (non Dell), with the following specs:

i7 4790k

16GB RAM

Nvidia 760

Editing 4K at 1/2 is sort of okay, despite some choppiness/lag (although I am not sure if this is at least partially caused by my reliance on USB3 drives).

I had a severe problem with the GPU as Premiere was constantly crashing when linking media - Adobe support identified the culprit as the GPU being faulty. The supplier is now sending a replacement but I am considering upgrading to something like the Nvidia 970.

Please can someone inform me in what areas of performance I would see improvements in when upgrading the GPU and RAM?

When using Premiere, I noticed that CPU usage often gets to 100%, with RAM reaching around 8GB when running Premiere only (I rarely run other programs simultaneously).

I am not sure whether upgrading the GPU/RAM would take some of the load off the CPU at all or would they only be beneficial in other areas? Premiere crashing when linking media is a huge problem so I definitely need to avoid that if it is an intrinsic fault with the 760 itself.

Any info is hugely appreciated...

• 6. Re: Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?

You are getting close to needing more ram based on that info. I would suggest looking at 32GB. The memory management starts adding a significant load on the cpu when it has to manage frame caching and buffers for the GPU acceleration with limited ram.

Eric

ADK

• 7. Re: Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?
                      barker85 Level 1

Thanks very much for the info Eric, I will definitely look into upgrading the RAM.

Do you think that I'm okay with the 760? I noticed that it isn't on Adobe's approved list and I'm worried that the hugely disruptive crashing problems will persist if I get a replacement (perhaps though it was just a physical fault with the card provided).

Many thanks...

• 8. Re: Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?

The 760GTX is fine but I would still get a 970GTX card instead.

Eric

ADK

• 9. Re: Recommended PC Specs for Editing 4K at 1/2 Resolution?
                          barker85 Level 1

Thanks for the info Eric.

I've upgraded the RAM to 32GB (and the 970 GTX has been ordered) - now the CPU maxes at around 50%, with the memory at 15G.

Playback appears to be pretty much the same - fine at times but overall not the fluid 1/2 playback I was hoping for.

At this stage I am wondering what the biggest bottleneck in the system is and what should be upgraded - the processor, the media being on USB3.0 instead of RAID0, or another disk related issue (my OS and programs are currently on an internal SATA, though I have just ordered an SSD)?