7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2015 8:45 AM by A.T. Romano

Where can I find instructions or a tutorial to merge video and PNG sequence

Colink

I Have P Elements 10

I have minimal experience with PE so would appreciate detailed instruction (a video would be good).

one of the things I will specifically need to know is how to make the number of png's match the length of the video.

Background: Video will be created and imported as one video, from another video creator.

png sequence will be exported from a whiteboard video creator (Sparkol videoscribe).

both original videos will be a similar length.

thanks ColinK

• 1. Re: Where can I find instructions or a tutorial to merge video and PNG sequence
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I don't know about your specific question, but look at The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830

• 2. Re: Where can I find instructions or a tutorial to merge video and PNG sequence
            A.T. Romano Level 7

colink

Premiere Elements 10 on what computer operating system?

Can we assume that the png sequence contains animated objects on a transparent background?

If you want to "merge" that footage into the video

Video Track 2 which has your png sequence

and directly below is

Video Track 2 which has your video background

That should not require a tutorial.

If you have animated objects on a non transparent (but solid color) background, you may be able to

key out the solid color to create areas of transparency. Then the how to needs more details.

And, with every project, the project needs to be set up correctly so that the project preset reflects the properties

of the source media.

More details on this once we supply a description of your specific situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Where can I find instructions or a tutorial to merge video and PNG sequence
              Colink Level 1

Thanks for taking the time to reply ATR

PNG sequence will form an animated layer on top of another one.

EDITED - question about black background of PNG's removed.

I have not looked how to fix second issue, but will mention here. I exported 16 second video as a PNG sequence (from another application) at 24fps - png images import with each image set as 00:00:05:00 length with a total movie length of 32 seconds. How do I reduce the length of each frame by half?

I am researching this now, if I find an answer before I get a reply here - I will edit.

Thanks ColinK

• 4. Re: Where can I find instructions or a tutorial to merge video and PNG sequence
                whsprague Level 4

..... How do I reduce the length of each frame by half?

I'm not sure I understand, but if the PNGs are coming in as separate images, I think you can select them all, use the Time Stretch Tool and set a new duration.   I tried it with a half dozen JPEGs and it worked for that.

Bill

• 5. Re: Where can I find instructions or a tutorial to merge video and PNG sequence
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

ColinK

Thanks for the reply.

The following is my take on the matter and the concepts actually involved.

The question at hand is

How do I reduce the length of each frame by half?

Generalizing, if you use Time Stretch, you are not altering the length of frames, you are altering the duration of the clip.

If you set the Time Stretch Speed % greater than 100 or decrease the duration, frames are deleted according to the directive of

the settings. If you set the Time Stretch Speed % less than 100 or you increase the duration, frames are added according to the directive

of the settings. In the first case, you create a fast motion effect and in the second case you create a slow motion effect.

So I think that we need to clarify and re-think what you have and how to achieve your project goal

I exported 16 second video as a PNG sequence (from another application) at 24fps - png images import with each image set as 00:00:05:00 length with a total movie length of 32 seconds. How do I reduce the length of each frame by half?

What do you want to do....take this 16 second video into Premiere Elements....

I am understanding that, in another project, you created a 16 second video from PNG sequences at 24 fps.  Whatever the case, this 16 seconds video in a project set for 24 frames per second will have a total of 384 frames. If you want half the number of frames for the Timeline content, then you can use Time Stretch to decrease the video duration to 8 seconds and increase Speed % to 200. That 8 second file on the Timeline will now have 192 frames. You now have a fast motion effect. But is that what you want to do?

or instead....start a new project in Premiere Elements

Where you import your source png stills (about 7) into a new Premiere Elements project with a 24 frames per second project preset and want a total Timeline content of about 16 seconds instead of 32 seconds? You can do that in 2 ways...

1. Before you import the source png, set the Still Image Default Duration to 60 frames in Edit Menu/Preferences/General, then import the stills to the Timeline - the reading of 00;00;02;12 represents 2.5 seconds.in this 24 frames per second project

or

2. Use the Time Stretch accessed by right clicking the file involved and set the duration to 00;00;02;12.

These are png stills going into the Premiere Elements project - right?

Please review, consider, and then let us know if you are OK with the details. If any questions or need clarification then please do not hesitate to ask. I want to be sure

we are in sync on what needs to be done to meet your goals.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: Where can I find instructions or a tutorial to merge video and PNG sequence
                    Colink Level 1

Thanks for the detailed reply.

Firstly I have realised that I did not set the length of each PNG before import, so the length of each image is whatever default was set in preferences.

So video is x 2 in length.

Secondly, if appears that APE does not support times stretch for multiple images.

My solution, delete all images, calculate the length required for 24fps, change the preferences and import again - worked fine.

Thanks ColinK

• 7. Re: Where can I find instructions or a tutorial to merge video and PNG sequence
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

ColinK

Thanks for the follow up and great job gaining your success with your workflow.

However, I would ask you to re-investigate what you mentioned

if appears that APE does not support times stretch for multiple images.

In your Premiere Elements 10 project, you should be able to

• select (all at one time) the multiple stills you want,
                      • right click anywhere in the highlight/selection, select Time Stretch,
                      • and set the duration to whatever you want...in our example 2.5 seconds which would be 00;00;02;12 in a 24 frames per second project.
                      • and have all the selected still now have the duration that you set in the Time Stretch dialog

Just in case reminders...

when you set the Still Image Default Duration in preferences, it will stay that way until you change it again. And, its

setting affects only the image duration for those images imported after you have made the set.

to select more than 1 still at a time, hold down the Shift key and click on each of the stills wanted (if choices are scattered)

to select more than 1 still at a time, with the mouse cursor just draw a rectangle around the stills that you want in the selection (if their positions lends itself to that)

Best wishes with your projects.

ATR