1 2 Previous Next 37 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2014 5:03 AM by DeDesign

Font problem

DeDesign

I have installed an open type font on my pc. The problem is that it works in Word but not in Indesign when it comes to polish chracters. How come?

• 1. Re: Font problem
          hasvi Level 1

Are you installed in following path, sometimes otf and ttf will get clash so clear it first then try again:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe InDesign CS5.5\Fonts"

by

hasvi

• 2. Re: Font problem
            Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

What is the font?

Being OpenType does not guarantee that all the glyphs for any particular language will be present in the font. Word will do a font substitution, without telling you, when a glyph is missing. ID will not.

• 3. Re: Font problem

And what glyphs are "missing" in ID?

• 4. Re: Font problem
                DeDesign Level 1

unfortunately that did not change anything!!

• 5. Re: Font problem
                  DeDesign Level 1

Latin extended. It shows Extended latin A and B

• 6. Re: Font problem

Extended Latin A and B are accented character sets, not fonts, so you haven't answered the question I asked. My guess is you are missing Cyrillic glyphs which are not in the Latin set and are not included with all fonts.

• 7. Re: Font problem
                      DeDesign Level 1

The font is Rotis Sans Serif Std and ind the information about the font it says it support Polish and further in the overview of Glyphs "Latin Extended" the characters that I need is shown

• 8. Re: Font problem

Are you able to insert the required glyph from the Glyphs panel? Might be a problem with how the text is being entered.

Are you placing a text file, or typing directly into ID? We may need to wait for someone like Joel Cherney who knows about setting Polish to wake up.

• 9. Re: Font problem
                          DeDesign Level 1

ok looking forward to further assistanse.

• 10. Re: Font problem

You still need to answer the last questions I asked in my previous post for anyone to be able to help you....

• 11. Re: Font problem
                              DeDesign Level 1

No I'm not able to insert the required glyph from the Glyphs panel? Might be a problem with how the text is being entered.

I'm placing a text file

• 12. Re: Font problem
                                Ellis home Level 4

While we wait for Joel Cherney, can you give an example of the glyph(s) you are missing? Checking on Adobe Fonts (Adobe - Fonts : Rotis Sans Serif Std) it doesn't show Polish as one of the supported languages on Rotis Sans Serif Std. May be you have a different version?

Adobe Western 2
                                Fonts with an Adobe Western 2 character set support most western languages including: Afrikaans, Basque, Breton, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Gaelic, German, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Sami, Spanish, Swahili and Swedish. Adobe Western 2 also adds 17 additional symbol characters: euro, litre, estimated, omega, pi, partialdiff, delta, product, summation, radical, infinity, integral, approxequal, notequal, lessequal, greaterequal, and lozenge. Adobe Western 2 is the new minimum character set standard as implemented in OpenType fonts from Adobe.

• 13. Re: Font problem
                                  MW Design Level 4

The Linotype version includes the required glyphs, I believe.

• 14. Re: Font problem
                                    DeDesign Level 1

Hello again

I have bought the font at FontShop and it shoul support 109 languages which include Polish

The characters that is missing is żąę

• 15. Re: Font problem

I am able to insert those glyphs in a new file using the glyphs panel. Do they work in a new file for you if you are typing text?

I've pinged Joel since he didn't chime in yesterday, but it's 2 a.m. where he is so it may still be awhile.

• 16. Re: Font problem
                                        DeDesign Level 1

I do not have the chracters in my glyphs panel. I have tried to type in a new document but still the chracters do not work

• 17. Re: Font problem

What is the exact name of the font you purchased?

• 18. Re: Font problem
                                            DeDesign Level 1

rotis_sans_serif_std_volume, OpenType CFF Std

each font is called: RotisSansSerifStd, RotisSansSerifStd-Bold, RotisSansSerifStd-ExtraBold, RotisSansSerifStd-Italic, RotisSansSerifStd-Light, RotisSansSerifStd-LightIt

• 19. Re: Font problem

I just took a look at Fontshop.com, and they have both a Monotype version and the Linotype version, but no way to check the included glyphs. I have the Adobe version that is included with Font Folio.

If the glyphs are not showing in the Glyphs panel (and they should appear at Unicode 017c, 0105 and 0119, respectively for the glyphs you listed, all in the Extended Latin A range), then it seems to me that ID does not think they are part of the font, though I don't know why. What happens if you copy text from Word and paste it into a new .indd file?

• 20. Re: Font problem
                                                DeDesign Level 1

When I copy text from Word the missing chracters appear as boxes with a cross

• 21. Re: Font problem

I have to say that it sounds very much like the glyphs are missing from the font, but I don't have any way to tell you to verify that. Do you see the diacritics in the glyphs panel by themselves? If you do they can be combined with regular glyphs and kerned into position, but I think this is a problem with how the text is being entered in Word (and that's really Joel's area). The only other thing I can think of is to be sure you have one of the World Ready composers enabled.

• 22. Re: Font problem
                                                    DeDesign Level 1

If it is so that the glyphs are missing it must be something I have to discuss with FontShop. I have Adobe CC which means that I have the World Ready composers enabled. I'll wait for Joels and see if he is able to solve my problem but for me it seems as if the glyphs are missing

• 23. Re: Font problem
                                                      Ellis home Level 4

Can you show a screenshot of your glyphs panel with Extended Latin A selected:

Glyphs.JPG

• 24. Re: Font problem

Be sure you have the Rotis Sans Serif selected, though...

• 25. Re: Font problem
                                                          DeDesign Level 1

Test-PL.jpg

• 26. Re: Font problem
                                                            Ellis home Level 4

This just confirms the version you have doesn't support Polish. Adobe has it under "Deprecated Type 1 version" where Polish is not listed Adobe - Fonts : Rotis Sans Serif

ISO-Adobe
                                                            Fonts with an ISO-Adobe character set support most western languages including: Afrikaans, Basque, Breton, Catalan, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, Gaelic, German, Icelandic, Indonesian, Irish, Italian, Norwegian, Portuguese, Sami, Spanish, Swahili and Swedish. This is the standard character set in most PostScript Type 1 fonts from Adobe.

• 27. Re: Font problem

A font named "Std" would not be Type 1, and the OP has already said it's OpenType.

And it seems I misspoke earlier about having the glyphs in my version. Just checked again, and and they are not there in Rotis Sans Serif. Turns out I forgot to change the face in the Glyphs panel myself and was looking at Minion Pro. There don't seem to be any combining diacritics, either.

I think I'm back to Word doing sneaky font substitutions.

• 28. Re: Font problem
                                                                Dov Isaacs Adobe Employee

Having gone through this thread and thinking about this a bit, I think I know what the real issue is!

The key to this is that you claim that the font “works in Word but not InDesign.”

What is the difference? Working backwards ...

InDesign is very strict about use of typefaces. If you choose a font for which a particular glyph doesn't exist, it typically won't do quiet substitutions by default, you will indeed get the pink strikethrough indicating “missing glyph” and very often, the square-box-with-an-X .notdef glyph.

On the other hand, Microsoft Word is very promiscuous in terms of typography. If you type a character which isn't in the current font, it will quietly substitute the equivalent from Arial or Times New Roman depending upon whether your original font was sans-serif or serif in style.

Thus, what is possible and probably most likely the scenario is that the font never had the characters you wanted when you used the font in Microsoft Word (with Microsoft Word covering for you with silent substitution), but when you attempted to use the font in InDesign with the same text, you were confronted with the fact that the font is what it is, not actually contained those glyphs.

- Dov

• 29. Re: Font problem
                                                                  Ellis home Level 4

Right. The Adobe's name for the font is Rotis Sans Serif Light 45. I thought I would be the same but it doesn't have the Std on it. Anyway, the glyphs are definitely not there.

• 30. Re: Font problem

Ellis home wrote:

Right. The Adobe's name for the font is Rotis Sans Serif Light 45. I thought I would be the same but it doesn't have the Std on it. Anyway, the glyphs are definitely not there.

You might have an old version of Rotis Sans Serif, but the screeen cap from the OP clearly shows Std in the font name...

My Std version also lacks those glyphs, but I bet the Pro version has them.

• 31. Re: Font problem
                                                                      DeDesign Level 1

Hi again everybody. First of all thank you very much for all the attention you have put into my problem.

I understand what you say but still I don't understand why FontShop write that the font supports 109 languages which include PL, that is not correct, right?

• 32. Re: Font problem

It's certainly looking that way.

Would you mind showing us one more screen capture? Right-click on one of the individual fonts in the Fonts folder, then select properties and switch to the Details tab. I'd like to see the version and copyright info.

• 33. Re: Font problem
                                                                          Ellis home Level 4

It looks like Rotis Sans Serif LT 45 Light supports 109 languages (according to Fontshop's website). But your screenshot shows Rotis Sans Serif Std 45 Light (not LT).

• 34. Re: Font problem

Ellis, can you provide a link to where you found that on the Fontshop site? I can't for the life of me find any useful information on that site.

• 35. Re: Font problem

OK, I finally found a list of Glyphs, and it certainly looks like they say it has those glyphs included In both the Monotype cut and the Linotype (LT) cut, so unless DeDesgin accidentally purchased and installed the TrueType version, I'm absolutely stumped.

• 36. Re: Font problem
                                                                                Ellis home Level 4

You have to scroll down to see all the font' specs. What I don't understand is they don't show the Std version, just the LT. Maybe they took it out?

• 37. Re: Font problem

In this context, LT before the Std in the font name means Linotype, not "light." I'm seeing cuts from both Linotype and Monotype on the site. Looking at the LT cut, there is both a Pro version, that supports all the languages, and a Std version that supports basic Latin only (this may be what DeDesign purchased as it is less expensive). The Monotype cut seems to have a Cyrillic support version and a World Glyph Set version, again with a higher price and more language support. This information is revealed on the "Buy" page for each font.

• 38. Re: Font problem
                                                                                    DeDesign Level 1

Font.jpg

• 39. Re: Font problem

Well, that's an Adobe cut, and I think it's probably missing the glyphs. It's a slightly newer version than the one I have.

I thought of another way to check the glyphs on Windows. You can open Windows' own character map utility from the start menu by typing Character Map in the search field, then clicking on it from the list above.

I'm stil a bit perplexed by your ability to use the glyphs in Word. I'm only using Word 2000, but I cannot get those glyphs to show if I switch to the Rotis.

1 2 Previous Next