5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 11:49 AM by A.T. Romano

Capture recordings from DV camera with Premiere Elements Trial version

Arjani

Hi,

I tried to connect a Sony Handycam to a Mac Mini by Firewire but Premiere Elements (trial version) does not recognize it.

The connection with another software programma works fine so I think there is no issue with hardware.

Is it (still) possible to capture DV tape recordings from a Handycam with Premiere Elements? And if so this is what I see:

Thank you in advance, Arjen screenshot Adobe Elements.png

• 1. Re: Capture recordings from DV camera with Premiere Elements Trial version
          A.T. Romano Level 7

arjani

Premiere Elements 13 has had several features removed from it, including DV and HDV data capture firewire into a Premiere Elements Capture Window.

The following link offers an Adobe workaround in 13 for that situation. Please review and consider and then let us know if that works for you.

Removed features and unsupported file formats | Adobe Premiere Elements 13

We will be watching for your results when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Capture recordings from DV camera with Premiere Elements Trial version
            Arjani Level 1

Hi A.T.,

Thanks for the quick response. I use an Apple Mac Mini so the first option will not work. I captured a DV tape by accessing it with iMovie and was very unhappy with the results. The quality of the film is terrible. I saw the tape quality when it played drug the capturing of the DV tape and that was good. But afterwards when I opened it with VLC player it was very blurry and bad quality. I saw on the internet reviews that more people had the same problems with iMovie. I therefore want to capture it by the professional program itself like Premiere Elements.

Do you, or anyone else have a solution of the capturing of DV tape recordings in untouched quality on an Apple computer?

• 3. Re: Capture recordings from DV camera with Premiere Elements Trial version
              A.T. Romano Level 7

arjani

Thank you for the reply.

If Premiere Elements 13 Mac and the Adobe workarounds for DV HDV capture are not going to work for you, have you considered

obtaining Premiere Elements 11 or 12 Mac and using one of those versions? These prior versions may still be available for purchase at

some popular online web sites.

Typically the workaround for Premiere Elements Mac capture firewire is to use iMovie for the capture. And, the reported results

seemed to have been good. Have you posted in any of the Apple Forums about improving the quality of your iMovie captures and end products? You are

likely to get the best answers on alternative programs there.

ATR

• 4. Re: Capture recordings from DV camera with Premiere Elements Trial version
                JMJarrige Level 2

Bonjour

It happens sometimes in my case, either on PC or Mac, that VLC visualization is not good, depending on the source files.

I think, in your case, that if iMovie visual is OK for your clips, you could try to edit your project with

Premiere Elements 13, by importing your clips from the iMovie events folder.

The quality obtained when your project will be finished and exported or shared should be OK, similar

to the input.

Best regards

JM

• 5. Re: Capture recordings from DV camera with Premiere Elements Trial version
                  Arjani Level 1

@ A.T. Romano and JMJarrige,

Thank you for your answers.

I have downloaded Elements 10 Mac from the Adobe website and it works!

Connecting my Sony camcorder by firewire to my Mac Mini firewire port and then Adobe Elements 10 saw the tape.

I have doubt about the quality for capturing with iMovie because I see difference in the test capture file made by Elements 10 against the quality of the capture with iMovie.

Also, when you make a new project in Elements you got some setting details which I did not see in iMovie.

So, at this time I think my problem is solved. Thank you for your time and solutions!

Have a nice day!

Kind Regards, Arjen  

• 6. Re: Capture recordings from DV camera with Premiere Elements Trial version
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Arjani

Thank you with the follow up great news that you are using successfully Premiere Elements 10 Mac for your DV data capture firewire.

But, it is not clear how you were able to download Premiere Elements 10 Mac from Adobe website and obtain a purchased serial number for this

purchase. Adobe deals with current version (which is 13).

In version 10, please set the project preset in the new project dialog to DV Standard or DV Widescreen, before you use Get Media/DV Camcorder.

Any questions or need clarification, please let us know.

But, from what you wrote, all seems to be working for you.

ATR