Can't Remove Old Version of Flash Player

New Here ,
Dec 09, 2014 Dec 09, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 7 Serv. Pk 1

Flash Player 15.0.0.239

Firefox 34

Recently had Firefox very kindly disable an old version of the Flash plugin (9.0.45.0). Removed the block in the config page and then tried to update (because I couldn't even do that from within Firefox). Flash just installed the latest version alongside the old one in the plugin list but that old version does not show in any programme list - either Windows' or Revo's.

I cannot disable the old version on its own - if I try both versions in the plugin list get disabled.

I've followed all the clean uninstall instructions to the letter but that old version is still there.

On all sites except the BBC news site Flash works fine but will not play Flash video on that site - I just get a request to download the Flash player in the video window.

Some help with this would be much appreciated as it is driving me nuts!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 11, 2014 Dec 11, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Flash is working everywhere but the BBC, it sounds like your Flash installation is correct and working.

Do you experience the same problem on the BBC with an alternate browser like Internet Explorer or Google Chrome?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2014 Dec 12, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie, thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately, as I never use IE I do not have any version of the Flash plugin installed on that browser.

Also, I don't have any version of Chrome installed on my machine.

I note from the plugins page in Firefox the old version of Flash points to the dll file: NPSWF.32.dll - of which there are 5 references in Explorer in different directories. The latest Flash version is pointed at: NPSWF32_15_0_0_246. I suspect it is a conflict between these two that may be causing the problem? I have been tempted to remove (or rename) these old dll files and see if it cures the problem but before I do, best get advice from someone better informed! I would keep a copy and note their directories and reinstate them if necessary.

If Firefox had just allowed me to update that old version in the first place I'm sure none of this would have happened. I could not do that from within the browser's plugin page - I had to do it from the Adobe site directly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie, I have done that clean uninstall following the instructions to the letter a couple of times but the old version remains in the plugin list.

Curiously, it does not show up in any installed programme list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd start with confirming that the filesystem is in a good state and repairing any issues there:

Check your hard disk for errors in Windows 7

Once that's done, I would recommend booting into Safe Mode to ensure that nothing that's keeping Flash in-use is getting loaded during startup:

Start your computer in safe mode - Windows Help

Then I'd try running the uninstaller and then the installer again.  If that doesn't work, I'll need to get the contents of C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\FlashInstall.log.  If you can just copy and paste the last couple sections into a reply, that would be great.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie,

Ok - disc and file system both fine; no problems found there.

Did a complete, clean uninstall in safe mode including all the advised additional files and folders and that damn version 9 is still showing in the plugins list!

I haven't re-installed yet as I think that would just be going around in circles so I now don't have an install log as that was deleted as part of the clean uninstall.

Do you want me to do that and post up the contents of that log?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie,

To save a bit of time I have re-installed and below is the install log:

=O====== M/15.0.0.239 2014-12-15+22-27-55.401 ========

0000 00000010 "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\{12793887-6CEF-4FCA-8845-616AFE47F4D4}\InstallFlashPlayer.exe" -install -skipARPEntry -iv 1 -au 4294967295

0001 00001036 Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin/Version 2

0002 00001036 Software\Macromedia\FlashPlayerPlugin/PlayerPath 2

0003 00000020 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

0004 00001037 SOFTWARE\MozillaPlugins\@adobe.com/FlashPlayer/ 2

0005 00001037 SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\Adobe Flash Player Plugin/ 2

0006 00001036 Software\Mozilla\MaintenanceService\extensions/Plugins 2

0007 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2

0008 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Last CommandLine 2

0009 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2

0010 00001036 Software\Opera Software/Plugin Path 2

0011 00000014

0012 00000015 C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil64_15_0_0_239_Plugin.exe

0013 00000024 C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\plugin.vch

0014 00000019 C:\Windows\SysWOW64\FlashPlayerCPLApp.cpl

=X====== M/15.0.0.239 2014-12-15+22-27-56.243 ========

The situation remains the same - all sites except the BBC news site will play Flash.

I should also tell you that with the latest version clean uninstalled I could still play Flash and the Adobe site could see that version but my installed programme list could not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2014 Dec 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it works everywhere else, your Flash install is fine.  The install log looks good, too.

Are you running any ad-blocker or anti-tracking plugins that might interfere with the code running on the BBC News site?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 16, 2014 Dec 16, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have AdBlock as an extension in Firefox but that is disabled.

That said, there are some pages displaying with small icons missing - just their place holders showing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you see Flash content here?

http://www.homestarrunner.com/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, that runs fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can suppress that dialog by going to Control Panel > Flash Player > Storage > Allow sites to store information on my computer. 

In 2014, you're better off using private browsing mode than trying to avoid tracking technology using the Flash settings.  The tracking capabilities in HTML5 surpassed the utility of the local storage features in Flash Player for marketers a long time ago, so you're not really buying anything by disabling the LSOs.  Using the Private Browsing/Incognito mode in your browser has the happy side-effect of allowing the content to think that it's running without restrictions, which can improve the experience depending on how the site was authored.

It seems like something is preventing the browser from loading all of the assets on the BBC site.  You could try Firefox > Help > Restart with Add-Ons Disabled to see if that helps.  If not, you might just want to try an alternate browser like Google Chrome to see if the experience there is better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie,

Thanks for your help and patience - we really do have something odd going on here. I will just have to chip away at it and see if I can winkle out exactly what the problem is. A shame really as I have long believed Firefox to be one of the most functional and safest of all the browsers.

If I do get to the bottom of this I will certainly let you know.

Thanks again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2015 Jan 06, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie,

A little update on the foregoing.

I have solved the problem with Flash player on my machine.

That different dll file I mentioned in an earlier post - different to the dll file the latest version of Flash was pointing to in the plugins list (1 of 4 instances) was located in the root of the Windows/SysWOW64 directory together with a Flash executable - not in the Macromed/Flash directory, so was never deleted in a clean uninstall.

Having temporarily renamed both files everything is now working perfectly. I will leave it like this for a week or two and then delete them.

Perhaps you might have some idea how they came to be where they where; when Firefox takes it upon itself to disable an old version of a plugin does it move stuff like this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not really sure.  I doubt it was Firefox.  Flash Player has been around a long time, and the installers change periodically to match the needs of the day.  We may have relocated the files at some point long ago, but it would have been a few years old at least if that was the case.  The installer log should tell you if we put the file there or not.  If you don't see it listed, you might want to check the digital signature on those DLLs to ensure that they're signed by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they were installed a few years ago but all have digitally signed certs.

This one will just have to remain one of those little mysteries of The Universe.

It's all working as it should now so all's well that ends well.

Thanks for your help once again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I vaguely remember them being there at some point in time, but I'm lucky to remember what I had for lunch yesterday. 

I'm thinking this is one of those things that changed when we went from being 32-bit only to having both 32 and 64-bit deliverables, either that, we moved them as part of the background update or sandboxing work.  Now I'm kind of curious.  I'll ask around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeromie,

I also should have mentioned, very, very occasionally a dialogue box will pop up in the vid window on the BBC site requesting permission for Flash to store data on my machine - where permission is already granted in the Flash global settings panel. I agree to that and the vid plays - once.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Dec 14, 2014 Dec 14, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

do not Change it bro keep it the new version do not run you tube or games

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines