2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2015 9:40 AM by MECS

I get into a loop often when creating a projector.  Something causes error dialog boxes saying that an extra is either missing or did not initialize properly. What causes this?

MECS Level 1

In both Director 11.59 and 12 I keep getting dialog error boxes when I launch a movie that say, "A Text Extra is either missing or did not initialize correctly".  No matter what I do with the Text  Xtra, it does not impact the problem one way or another. Is that a known problem?  How do I solve it?

Thanks to anyone who can help me.

Dewey

• 1. Re: I get into a loop often when creating a projector.  Something causes error dialog boxes saying that an extra is either missing or did not initialize properly. What causes this?
          Milky_au Level 3

Hello Dewey,

Are you seeing this error message when...

1# when you try to run a published director projector file  (either a windows .EXE file, or a mac .APP file) ?

OR

2# when you load a .dir file into director while authoring?

If it's number 1# - then you'll need to link your xtras to your projector file.

see the tabs along the top of the director screen (under modify & under file)

modify > movie > xtras > TextXtra PPC (include in projector - is ticked)

file > publish settings > files (make sure exclude all xtras is NOT ticked)

If it's number 2# - then you may have two copies of the text xtra inside your configuration/xtras folder (but that's not likely)

(*if you're trying to make an iOS app - then text xtra won't work either)

regards

milky

• 2. Re: I get into a loop often when creating a projector.  Something causes error dialog boxes saying that an extra is either missing or did not initialize properly. What causes this?
            MECS Level 1

Hi, Milky.  Nice of you to take the time to respond, and to share all the tips with me.

Actually, it happens when running from a projector, and usually as soon as it tries to load the first screen in the movie.  Then, the other most common time and place would be when it tries to open another menu, or submenu while navigating through the movie.

Now, I told you that because it might give you some clues if you ever need to solve another problem with those symptoms.  Here's what I did to fix it.  I noticed that all of the movies that had that pattern of problems were running on macintosh projectors published on a Windows computer.  I suspected the resource fork might be mishandled in that operation, so I copied the resource fork from a working Mac projector into a  Mac projector that had that problem, and it fixed it.

That info might come in handy if you ever decide to find out what causes that.  But I did begin to make all Mac projectors on my Mac, and  the problem went away.

As for linking xtras to the projector, I was talking with a support engineer recently about when and where or whether to do that.  He said that he "never includes xtras in the projector because that sometimes causes other problems".  He said he always ticks the Exclude all xtras in the Publish dialog when he makes projectors. So, I guess that's what I'll try unless it causes other headaches.  I'll keep your response in my Director notes and refer to them if I have that problem again.  I appreciate them!

Dewey