8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 8:13 PM by A.T. Romano

How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720

mytimbuk2

Somehow, during the day of shooting a race event, my camera settings got changed, apparently, from 1280 X 720 to 640 X 480, all at 29 fps.  I have both sizes but need to salvage this very important video and output it to Windows Media file in the best possible way.  I couldn't locate any advice for this exact problem, except one thread that wasn't answered.  Should I stretch the entire timeline to fit the screen?

• 1. Re: How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720
          A.T. Romano Level 7

mytimbuk2

What version of Premiere Elements are you using, and on what computer operating system is it running?

For now I will assume Premiere Elements 12 for this example.....

Set the project preset manually to

NTSC

AVCHD

AVCHD LITE 720p30

To do that, open the program to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New/Project and Change Settings.

Under Change Settings, set the project preset as cited above. Hit OK. In the new project dialog that you next

see, make sure that there is a check mark next to "Force Selected Setting on This Project". OK out of there.

Back in the Expert workspace

1. Make sure you have a check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size (Edit Menu/Preferences/General).

2. Import your 1280 x 720 footage and then your 640 x 480.

When you go to export that as a .wmv file, use

Publish+Share

Computer

Windows Media

with Presets = 720 x 480 16x9 29.97

Under the Advanced Button/Video Tab of that preset, we are going to customize that preset to 1280 x 720 @ 29.97 progressive

frames per second.

12exportwmv.JPG

Notice that there is an empty box to the right of Frame Width and Frame Height. If you see a chain link

in that box, click on it to remove it so that you can type in 1280 and 720. If necessary, we can

adjust the bitrate which I have set at 7000 Kbps (kilobits per second).

That is the general idea. Please supply more details so that we can fine tune the reply to your specific

situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720
            mytimbuk2 Level 1

Yes, Premier Elements 12 on Windows 8.1 (With Classic shell so it don't look like Windows 8:-)

Thank you, I'll give this a try. I already have my project in the timeline, I assume if I click on File Menu, New Project this one will be saved, or will PE re-open it with the new settings?

• 3. Re: How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720
              A.T. Romano Level 7

mytimbuk2

Thanks for the reply.

Once the project preset has been established, typically it cannot be changed without starting a new project.

Let us see what you have established for the project preset of the project that you now have opened....to do that,

go to Edit Menu/Project Settings/General and let us know the readings there for Editing Mode, TImebase, Frame Size, and

Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields look grayed out).

Establishing the correct project preset at the onset is important part of the successful workflow.

ATR

• 4. Re: How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720
                mytimbuk2 Level 1

HD 1080i, 29.97 frames/second, 1920 X 1080, square Pixels (1.0)

Display Format: 30fps Drop-frame timecode.

I though PE 12 detected and configured these items automatically. I actually shoot in 1280 X 720

• 5. Re: How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720
                  mytimbuk2 Level 1

I'm trying this project with these settings now.  Not sure bout the Square Pixels (1.0) instead of 16 X 9, but we'll see.  Also looks like the file size will be pretty large, 1844 MB, usually these are about 800 or so but I'm anxious to see the result.  I sure appreciate your advice.

Thanks

• 6. Re: How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

mytimbuk2

Thanks for the reply....

1. If you found the project preset

NTSC

AVCHD

Full HD1080i30

That is 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second

That is the default project preset that the program sets when it cannot identify the properties of the source media that its seeks to

match up with the correct project preset.

Based on the information that you posted about your two sources (640 x 480 and 1280 x 720), that is not the correct project preset for

your project. When the program does not automatically set the correct project preset based on the properties of the first video dragged to the Timeline, that is when you set it manually, matching your known video properties with the corresponding project preset description in the choices in Change Settings.

http://www.atr935.blogspot.com/2013/04/pe11-accuracy-of-automatic-project.html

2. Pixel Aspect Ratio = square pixels is appropriate for your 640 x 480 as well as your 1280 x 720 footage.

3. Typically the Windows Media export gives files with significantly smaller files sizes than other choices.

What is the duration and complexity of your Timeline content? When you are in the Windows Media export area

ready to export (customized settings set), what is the estimated file size that you see at the bottom of export area along with the

duration of the file to be exported? If it is what it is, then do another run. This time take the bitrate from 7000 Kbps to 3500 Kbps

to determine if you can lower the bitrate and maintain quality. You can explore and experiment with the bitrate setting to find the compromise

between bitrate setting, quality, and file size.

We will be looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 7. Re: How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720
                      mytimbuk2 Level 1

The 3500 bit rate appears to be fine.  It was a 34 minute video, which gets it down to a 940MB file, more manageable than the 1.68GB file using 7000 Bit Rate.  Much appreciate the tips.

• 8. Re: How should I configure project for different dimension video? 640 X 480   1280 X 720
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

mytimbuk2

Thanks for the great news of your success. Your follow up is appreciated by all.

Best wishes moving forward with your projects. Do not hesitate to ask if questions or need clarification.

ATR