5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 4, 2015 6:06 PM by Bill Gehrke

Do not buy the USB3 PNY Turbo Flash Drive!

Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

I have highly recommended the USB 3 PNY Turbo Flash Drive in the recent past as a fantastic Read storage device.  Well do not buy it.  PNY drastically changed the memory chips inside without changing the model number and now it is a terrible device for holding your media for editing operations.

Thanks to Randall for making me aware of this problem.  I now have 4 of the older good type and 3 bum ones.  Here are two Windows 8 transfer plots of a large AVI file from the USB 3 Flash drive to a Samsung 840 Pro on my laptop.  The first one is the original one that I purchased last July with a file transfer rate of 185 MB/s, and the second plot is the lousy performance of 120 MB/sec.of one of the last devices purchased in November.

The new ones are usable but nowhere as desirable as the 1st generation.  I checked several websites and see that they no longer advertise the old faster specifications.  Also I have tested all my devices and scoring is consistent and very repeatable.  Now, that I know it is possible, I will start looking for a new vender that give the great read rate ideal for laptop editing.  Of course it is not as convenient as a USB 3 Flash drive but my Vantec NexStar 6G USB 3 SSD enclosure with a Samsung 840 Pro drive has a Read rate of 250 MB/second. 

• 1. Re: Do not buy the USB3 PNY Turbo Flash Drive!
          ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

hehe this is the volatility of the ram chip market and also controller rev changes. What I am saying is dont expect any manufacturer other than maybe Crucial or Samsung to show much consistency here. The only reason Crucial or Samsung will to some extent is they manufacturer their own chips since Crucial is Micron and Samsung makes Samsung ram chips.

Eric

ADK

• 2. Re: Do not buy the USB3 PNY Turbo Flash Drive!
            JFPhoton Level 3

...thanks once AGAIN Bill !!!!  I ALMOST took the bait for the 256GB model PNY !!!  Looks like its BACK to my cheap USB3 $30 dock and the SSDs I plug in to it !!!

• 3. Re: Do not buy the USB3 PNY Turbo Flash Drive!
              RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

It looks like you may have to settle for a slower flash drive at this price point for the foreseeable future: Every single one of the USB 3.0 flash drives at this capacity point that delivers at least the same level of read performance as the original PNY Turbo costs much more money than the PNY. ($150-ish for a SanDisk Extreme Pro 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive, anyone?)

With that said, the PNY Turbo 3.0 is only intended to compete with the slower USB 3.0 flash drives such as the SanDisk Ultra USB 3.0 drive (whose maximum read speed is only 100 MB/sec even in its largest-capacity 128GB version).

• 4. Re: Do not buy the USB3 PNY Turbo Flash Drive!
                RjL190365 Level 4

Bill,

PNY has changed its 128GB Turbo 3.0 flash drive again. This time, the outer shell of the drive has changed. It also reverted to the performance of the first revision of the previous drive: I got myself one on sale at Best Buy for a mere $33.

Performance benchmarks of the newest (a/k/a third) version of the PNY drive revealed an over 190 MB/second sequential read speed and an 80-something MB/second sequential write speed. That's practically the same as the "good" earlier versions of the PNY Turbo 128GB USB 3.0 flash drive that you mentioned.

• 5. Re: Do not buy the USB3 PNY Turbo Flash Drive!
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

That is great news and a great buy.  Unfortunately my experience with PNY has me very wary of their products which can vary from lot to lot without any notice.  Also my complaint to them about this very problem went unanswered.