7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2014 11:43 PM by elie-d

LR shrinks raw file on upload?

eppicmedia Level 1

Hey guys I am so confused. I uploaded my raw files from a cf card into lightroom. I shoot with a 1dX so my files are pretty big, but it is uploading them at a measly 5000 by 3000 diminsions. Is there a setting I dont know about to upload the fullsized raw file? Any help would be appreciated as I need my files full sized...

• 1. Re: LR shrinks raw file on upload?
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

According to the Nikon spec sheet for that camera, full-sized images are 3008 x 1960 pixels. How are you getting them imported at 5000 x 3000 pixels?

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: LR shrinks raw file on upload?
            eppicmedia Level 1

Sorry, its a Canon 1DX not a nikon. The problem is it downloads a raw file as 26.7 MB per image, but then I open it in Lightroom and work on it and save it, it saves as a 1.93mb jpg.

• 3. Re: LR shrinks raw file on upload?
              JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Sorry, made a wrong assumption. There is no correlation between the size of a raw file and a JPEG. The JPEG is highly compressed and is controlled in the export dialogue. And the contents of the image will greatly affect the size of the JPEG as well. What are the pixel dimensions of the raw file and the JPEG file?

• 4. Re: LR shrinks raw file on upload?
                elie-d Level 4

The 1Dx Raw is 5184 x 3456 pixels, so I doubt that the image is being resized.

• 5. Re: LR shrinks raw file on upload?
                  eppicmedia Level 1

Thanks Elie-d that is the size, and they aren't being resized I guess I dont know how to ask my question properly. I should be able to print an 8x11 photo no problem. Its saying that the image is to small to print a 4x6 properly...so theres something between my saving it, and tinyprints uploading it. I dont know where the problem lies, and I kind of give up.

• 6. Re: LR shrinks raw file on upload?
                    Benjamin Root MVP & Adobe Community Professional

Be sure that the JPEG export quality is set to 100

• 7. Re: LR shrinks raw file on upload?
                      elie-d Level 4

LR's Quality 100 is overkill (or underkill in terms of compression). 80, which is equivalent to Photoshop's 10, provides a saving in size that is significant and the difference in loss would require a zoom of 300% or 400% to be seen.

eppicmedia - For the highest quality print you need 300 pixels for every inch of paper (300 ppi) - so the uncropped 3456x5184 image will be enough for a maximum quality 11.5 x 17.25 print. However, with a very good resizing/resharpening routine like LR's (in which new pixels are created and added in) you can double its size (linearly) without significant loss in visual quality and print a fantastic 20x30 incher. So if the printer is telling you your image is small, either you are cropping like mad, trying to turn a short focal length lens into a longer one, or you are downsizing the image at export (Resize box ticked).