10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2014 2:55 PM by A.T. Romano

Photoshop Elements 13 (actually a PRE question)

Spurge

I tried to run movie but says it needs codec.  I install and run Codec 2 but it still doesn't run

• 2. Re: Photoshop Elements 13
          Anwesha Dev Chaudhary Adobe Employee

Hi,

Could you please let us know the video format of the movie you are trying to play?

Thanks,

Anwesha

• 3. Re: Photoshop Elements 13
            Spurge Level 1

It is from a Sony camcorder.  It is MPG.  I can run my MPG files on Elements 12 but not on Premiere Elements 13.

• 4. Re: Photoshop Elements 13
              Spurge Level 1

I am using MPG from my Sony camcorder.   I can run the files on Photoshop Elements 12 but not on Premiere Elements 13.

Don

• 5. Re: Photoshop Elements 13
                Barbara B. Level 7

Would you like me to move this thread to the Premiere Elements forum, Spurge? Hardly anyone here uses PRE.

• 6. Re: Photoshop Elements 13
                  Spurge Level 1

Sure

• 7. Re: Photoshop Elements 13
                    Barbara B. Level 7

Okay, moving now.

• 8. Re: Photoshop Elements 13 (actually a PRE question)
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Spurge

Your thread is now in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum.

Confusion probably exists because your question is not being understood correctly because more details are needed from you.

Is your problem in the Elements Organizer 13 and not in the Photoshop Elements 13 Editor or Premiere Elements 13 Editor?

And, are you using the tryout of the program rather than the purchased program? Do you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on

your computer with Premiere Elements 13?

Certain files have problems importing into the Elements Organizer whereas they do not if they are imported directly into the Premiere Elements Editor.

1. It is a known that Elements Organizer 13 tryout has problems with MPEG2 files.

2. What are the properties of your problem file - video compression, audio compression, and file extension? In some cases, you can rename the file's file extension to gain success in getting the file into the Elements Organizer with the thumbnail with image..

3. Does the file present with a thumbnail (gray or otherwise) in the Elements Organizer 13? And, can you right click that thumnbail and select Update Thumbnail to gain success?

Keep in mind that Photoshop Elements 13, Premiere Elements 13, and Elements Organizer 13 are really different programs.

Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 are standalone programs, each coming with the Elements Organizer 13. When

Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 are on the same computer, they share the same Elements Organizer 13.

Please review and consider the above. We will be watching for your answers to all so that we can customize a possible solution for you. In the

case of the Elements Organizer and the thumbnails for files imported into it, there may be no answer. And, in nearly all instances, it is

not a case of a missing codec.

ATR

• 9. Re: Photoshop Elements 13 (actually a PRE question)
                        Spurge Level 1

In response:

1. My problem is with Adobe Premier Elements 13.  I cannot run MPEG files.  When I tried to create a project the warning screen comes up saying  I do not have codec installed.  I cannot right click the thumbnail.  Nothing happens.

2.  I have purchased the combined set of Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13.

3.  I have the latest version of Quicktime installed.

4.  I have Photoshop Elements 11 on the computer and I have loaded both Photoshop Elements 13 and Premiere Elements 13 on the computer.

I hope you can help.

Don

• 10. Re: Photoshop Elements 13 (actually a PRE question)
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Don

Thanks for the additional information.

Let us start with the source of these MPEG files. What is the brand/model/and settings for the camera that recorded them. This

camera information is probably the quickest and easiest way to get at the properties of these files. Also, what is the file extension for this MPEG file?

How are you importing the file into the project - Add Media/Files and Folders or something else? Does the file actually import so that you

see its thumbnail in Expert workspace Project Assets? Or, do you go Add Media/Files and Folder and get a "cannot import codec needed and or

generic error"?

Could you download and install the codec utility named GSpot and run the MPEG file through it and tell us what you see for

Video Codec Name Status

as well as

Audio Codec Name Status

http://www.headbands.com/gspot/v26x/quick_start.html

You have said that you have the latest version of QuickTime installed on your computer with Premiere Elements 13. If you go to Publish+Share/Computer/QuickTime, do you see presets for the QuickTime choice? Are you running QuickTime and Premiere Elements 13 from a User Account with Administrative Privileges? Are you running your computer with an Internet connection?

Let us start here and then we will move forward in the troubleshooting based on the further details that you supply.

Thank you.

ATR