7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 7:42 AM by JimHess

File Management

RLCadence Level 1

I use LR to edit but cannot - after years of use - get comfortable with it for management and printing (my prints from LR are off color). So I use another program - ACDSee - for all but editing, and try not to move stuff outside of LR.

This requires me to export all pics, after editing, to a sub folder of the originals. If the originals are in "NY 2014" I export to the sub folder "NY 2014 LR." Everything's there twice, but I can find it and print it easily. That's bad enough, but now I see I'm getting two copies in the original folder, a JPEG and a Digital Negative. I can't be having 3 of everything. This hasn't always been the case - what am I doing that gets me two copies in the original file, and what's the solution?

Is there a better way for me to manage my files? I don't think I'll ever penetrate LR's organization "help." I understand a plain file tree, and that's not what I see in LR.

• 1. Re: File Management
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You probably have option checked to show photos in subfolders. That's probably why the exported JPEG is showing alongside the DNG.

• 2. Re: File Management
            dj_paige Level 9

Is there a better way for me to manage my files?

To me, managing files in Lightroom is extremely simple, and maybe this will work for you.

When I import photos into Lightroom, they go directly into the proper folder, and I never move them again (there is one exception, and that is when you need to move the photos to a new computer or new hard disk, then you move them to that computer or disk, but you keep them in the same folder and same folder hierarchy). I use Lightroom tools such as keywords and other metadata extensively. I never have problems finding my photos, and I consider my photos to be well organized.

• 3. Re: File Management
              RLCadence Level 1

I do have that checked, if I follow you, and the edited JPEGs go there, in the subfolder. The doubling is in the main/top folder, the DNG is going in there with the original unedited JPEG.

• 4. Re: File Management

RLCadence wrote:

I do have that checked, if I follow you, and the edited JPEGs go there, in the subfolder. The doubling is in the main/top folder, the DNG is going in there with the original unedited JPEG.

Unless I am not understanding you correctly, the DNG file is in its folder and the JPEG is in the subfolder. But since you have show images in subfolders checked the JPEG is showing alongside the DNG file. It isn't another copy. If you uncheck showing images in subfolders then the images will be separated as you expect them to be.

It's a shame that you can't get your prints right using Lightroom. I use Lightroom for my printing most of the time. Often printing problems occur because the user forgets to turn off color management in either Lightroom or in the printer driver. My Lightroom prints match my monitor very closely.

• 5. Re: File Management
                  RLCadence Level 1

I know the LR file management works for most folks. I'm "special," though. Too many times I'm looking for something and from within LR cannot find it. Just like it's not there, but it is. Often I can't see the whole file tree in LR, just LR's truncated version of the tree, and I have no clue why it sometimes just won't show folders that exist and display in every other program that I can use to find folders.

If you could give me a clue what I'm seeing and why, when it's not the whole file tree, that might help.

• 6. Re: File Management
                    dj_paige Level 9

RLCadence wrote:

I know the LR file management works for most folks. I'm "special," though. Too many times I'm looking for something and from within LR cannot find it. Just like it's not there, but it is. Often I can't see the whole file tree in LR, just LR's truncated version of the tree, and I have no clue why it sometimes just won't show folders that exist and display in every other program that I can use to find folders.

If you could give me a clue what I'm seeing and why, when it's not the whole file tree, that might help.

Lightroom is not a file browser. It doesn't know about folders that have not been imported. It doesn't know about files that have not been imported.

My philosophy is that I use Lightroom to manage and organize and find ALL of my photos. That's ALL, as in 100%, every single one has been imported into Lightroom, so the problem you described of folders not appearing in Lightroom, or photos that can't be found in Lightroom, simply doesn't happen to me.

Lastly, the emphasis from my point of view needs to be on using Lightroom tools like keywords and other metadata for organization, and I do not use folders for organizational purposes. In that way, I never have to move photos from folder to folder, or folders from here to there. If I want the photo to be "organized differently", I change the keyword or metadata, I do not have to move anything.

• 7. Re: File Management

Are you aware that the tree in Lightroom is only going to display the folders and images that have been imported into Lightroom? Lightroom is not a file browser like Bridge or Finder or Windows Explorer. The import process doesn't place your images in Lightroom, but rather creates a pointer to where the images are located on your hard drive. But the only images you can find in Lightroom are the ones that have gone through that import process. All other images are not known by Lightroom, and therefore don't exist as far as Lightroom is concerned.