7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2014 7:32 AM by elie-d

How do I find my files in an exported catalogue

azp

I have exported a catalogue using my mac.

I can't find the files inside the expected catalogue.

They are showing in lightroom but with an exclamation mark in top right corner saying files are missing.

When I use he locate files they aren't showing in the lightroom catalogue saved to my mac.

Help please I've lost a full recent shoot

• 1. Re: How do I find my files in an exported catalogue
          JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Images are not "in" the catalog. Images are in folders on the computer. If you exported a catalog, and are trying to use it on another computer, then you need to copy the images to that new computer as well. If you are using this exported catalog on the same computer as the original, then that could indicate that you have renamed or moved the images after the catalog was created. Please provide more detail of how you are using this new catalog that you exported. Here is a link to instructions telling you how to find missing photos.

Lightroom thinks my photos are missing - how do I fix it? | The Lightroom Queen

• 2. Re: How do I find my files in an exported catalogue
            azp Level 1

Hi Jim many thanks for your reply.

I have exported it onto the same hard drive but I did start to change some of the names of

Folders in my library and maybe this has done it.

I can find the lightroom catalogue but when I open it in lightroom it has question marks over the library folders

And exclamation marks over the pictures saying file cannot be found.

I'm really struggling with what to do to find my images and get them back into lightroom so I can work on them.

Thanks

• 3. Re: How do I find my files in an exported catalogue
              dj_paige Level 9

Changing the folder names has caused this problem.

To fix the problem, use the instructions in Jim's link, or alternatively use Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders

In the future, don't change folder names (or if you MUST change the folder names, do so in Lightroom)

• 4. Re: How do I find my files in an exported catalogue
                azp Level 1

H yeah I'm learning that the hard way thanks.

I cannot find the missing files on my hard drive anywhere

So I can link  them again?

Any ideas where they could have disappeared to?

Like I said they are showing in lightroom but hey are blurred out saying file is missing. No idea where they have gone on my hard drive

• 5. Re: How do I find my files in an exported catalogue
                  dj_paige Level 9

I cannot find the missing files on my hard drive anywhere

So I can link  them again?

You need to search all of your hard drives ... using your operating system's search feature. If you still can't find them, you would have to restore them from backups. Then re-link.

Any ideas where they could have disappeared to?

No, you are in charge of what happens to your photos, I have no idea.

• 6. Re: How do I find my files in an exported catalogue
                    JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

There is no way for us to know where those images went. You are the one who renamed them. The reason the images are still visible in Lightroom (although blurred, as you say) is because Lightroom generates a preview file that is used to show all the adjustments that you make using Lightroom. The catalog is a database that keeps track of where the images are located, how they are named, and what adjustments have been made to them using Lightroom. If you start moving and renaming files outside of Lightroom you really need to understand how the catalog works so that you are sure you know what you are doing. Otherwise, you create all sorts of problems for yourself, as you have discovered.

• 7. Re: How do I find my files in an exported catalogue
                      elie-d Level 4

Just out of curiosity, why did you export the catalog? What did you expect to do with it that could not be done in the original catalog? If you wanted to use it as an organizational tool, that is not a good way - collections within a single catalog would be better.